Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/14/2023

our 15 mile ride an hour and 12 minutes. really lovely out. we went early but still too busy. need to go even earlier. it is supposed to warm up today so that was the reason, plus mothers day. too many people not paying attention while walking their dogs. if a dog runs in front of me, we will both go down. if you have him on a 20 foot leash you dont have control. the whole trail is only 12-15 feet wide. if you have ear buds in I cant shout loud enough to be heard. sigh. summer has its problems.

Last edited:
This morning I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 276 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 167.

Cathy, great job with 30 Minute HiiT Express. Good for Derek surviving an overnight at the zoo with 5th and 6th graders. One of my friends went as a chaperone with her nephew for a spend the night at the zoo trip. She really enjoyed it.

Valerie, nice job with Stacked Sets Upper Body, XTrain Abs, therapy exercises, and 15 mile ride.

Diane Sue, good job with CDorner Advanced Step and All Standing Low Impact cardio plus Raw Athletic Stretch.

Hello to Judy.

Yesterday I did a new morning stretch with CDorner that she did outdoors. I liked it and it is a nice wake up and move stretch. It rained a lot yesterday and still off and on today. It was funny because her dog Louie was there in front and near the end Anna the other dog came crawling through the daffodils.

Today I had to deal with not being able to access my bank account. They had to have someone call me and work with me as the person at the bank could not figure it out. I ended up skipping cardio today. I did CDorner Defined Upper Body and Core with loop bands and Legs and Glutes with dumbbells. She did them separate for those who do not have an hour to work out. This took me 62 minutes, 130 calories, heart rate 88/124. I ended with the stretch from CDorner cardio, weights, and stretch, 19 minutes, 23 calories. Total time was 81 minutes, 153 calories.
Upper Body and Core with Loop Bands 60 seconds each move 2 rnds of all moves
plank hold
balance chest press standing 1 arm
Renegade Rows or alternative loop around feet rows
lat pulls seated
band on left foot right arm concentration curl
left arm concentration curl
standing or kneeling triceps kickdown right then left
stretch

Legs and Glutes dumbbells 1 minute work
squat heel lift 15# dbs
side to side squat 15# db
plie position heel lifts 15# db

staggered deadlift 15# dbs
step back lunge/staggered deadlift 15# dbs
repeat other side

hands and knees
dumbbell behind knee lifts 8# db
dumbbell behind the knee pulses 8# db
no weight straight leg lift across knee in
repeat other side

bridge on toes 15# db
stretch

Yesterday I did Total Body Sizzle which covers a lot of ground and includes core work at the end in 41 minutes. I was short on sleep today, so skipped a workout, but I did go to the zoo as planned and then to my parents to take my Mom some flowers. First time I've been to the zoo this season. 4-5 school buses there, but it wasn't bad. I'm hoping to miss the days with 20-30 buses. It's way to crowded then. Fortunately that will only be for my next 3 visits before schools out for the summer.

Valerie sounds like you got in a good ride yesterday. too many people complicates a lot of things, and people can be so irresponsible with their dogs.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Party.

Diane Sue great that you got it Defined Upper Body and Core with loop bands and Legs and Glutes with dumbbells despite the problem with your bank account. That type of thing is such a pain to deal with.

Hi Judy.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Power Zone Endurance ride, 30 minutes of Peloton Strength and a 10 minute stretch. Today I did a 45 minute Power Zone Endurance ride, a 30 minute Arms & Intervals ride and a 10 minute stretch. I hope you all had a very nice Mother's Day!

Carolyn-Great job with Morning Energy Yoga and Cardio Party.

Valerie-Great job with your ride. It's become almost impossible to ride on the bike paths around here at certain times. Having a dog on a retractable long leash on a public bike path is a recipe for disaster. I agree about the ear buds too.

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner stretch, Defined Upper Body and Core and Legs and Glutes. I noticed that Kelly posted something about a new timesaver series but I wasn't sure if it was going to be on DVD or Raw only. Edit- I just checked and she posted that they are going to be both DVD and Raw.

Cathy-Great job with Total Body Sizzle.

All we can do is ride earlier in the morning before a lot of people get out there. I have no problem with dogs or kids but the adult has to have control of them! could be a disaster for any or all parties. we follow the rules. ride on the right, pass on the left. so many walkers dont , or their dogs are loose or on a long leash. worst are the small children and you would think the parents would realize that if I hit their 4 yo because they darted in front of me, it will be very hard on everyone. I dont want to crash either but its hard to get past safely if they aren't paying attention. I shout "on your left" as I approach, but 1/2 the people have ear buds in or are talking on the phone or plain cant hear. some people say thank you, or lift a hand but a bunch are too deaf to notice.

therapy only today saw my doc and he is referring me to a surgeon. not a good day. I've worried about this for a long time but I've done everything else I can do. probably going to need spine surgery or this will continue to get worse. I need some vertebrae fused etc. lower back. if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this, please share.

This morning I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body. I really like that one. Partly because I like using the stability ball, but mostly because I can match Cathe in weight. We're back to T-shirt and shorts weather and I love it. Low-mid 70's my favorite temp range.

Judy great job with the Peloton rides, strength and stretch workouts.

Valerie earlier is definitely the best way to avoid the crowds. When I walk along the lakeshore path in Marquette, I'm very conscious to stay on my side, but I've noticed that the majority of people using it seem to be regulars and they are all good about using it properly and it's really rare to see someone walking a dog without a proper leash length. I'm sorry that it appears you are going to have to have surgery. Not an easy path, but you have a solid history of working out and the ability to do what you need to do to rehab from it.

Today I did another oldie, Supersets from the Body Blast series. I did three of the four rounds for 49 minutes and 213 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 150. I’ve only done this workout once before and that was five years ago. I’ve done Push Pull several times but I never chose this one. I’m not sure why that is.

Diane Sue, it’s good that you found a morning stretch. Great job with CDorner Defined Upper Body and Core, Legs and Glutes, and Stretch. I hope that you got the bank account problem sorted out.

Cathy, good job with Total Body Sizzle and Pyramid Pump Upper Body. I’m glad that you got your walk in at the zoo despite the school children.

Judy, great job with the Peloton Power Zone Endurance rides, Strength workout, Stretch, and Arms and Intervals.

Hello to Valerie.

Today I did CDorner Step and Weights toned arms and step intervals, 40 minutes, heart rate 136/161,2,190 steps. This does 3 minutes step and 3 minutes strength intervals that include shoulders, biceps, and triceps. I used 10 and 8 lb and dropped to 5# on the shoulder segment in the last interval where she did the iso holds from all of the moves. I thought I would do some of the Cardio Hiit 80's Rock, but it was too much for my knees when she got to the lunge switch kick. This was 6 minutes, 26 calories, 493 steps, heart rate 106/129. I finished with Balance and Mobility from today, 33 minutes, 53 calories, heart rate 78/98. Total time was 79 minutes, 301 calories, 2,775 steps. I also rolled out my shoulders and scap and delt areas. They are sore. No workout tomorrow as I have my arthritis appointment and that usually takes up quite a bit of time with distance and the usual lab stuff.
I need to get to bed as I have to get up early. I will try to get on here tomorrow. I keep getting calls and having extra things come up. The bank thing is fixed. They had to get my security word back up onto the account. The guy I talked to walked through it and helped me get it fixed. There is no way I could have done it on my own. They recently set up a whole new system and lots of changes in place.
Hopefully my white count looks better tomorrow as my doctor called and said it was low.

Just finished Pyramid Pump Lower Body. Just made a reservation for graduation in December in case Derek decides to do the ceremony. Ouch on the price even with the university discount, but if you don't book really early you are out of luck on a room for graduation weekends.

Carolyn great job with Supersets. I've done it when I first got it, but I always preferred Push/Pull. Carolyn when the number of school kids is low it can add to the entertainment value. I tend to be the person who provides info when someone doesn't know what something is. I told Derek the zoo should pay be just to walk around and provide info and directions. I swear that parents who are with the kids are not even provided basic info on where things are, though maps are available. The zoo has two very distinct areas, that are separated by more than 1/2 a mile, and it's amazing how many people don't realize there is a whole other area.

Diane Sue great job with Step and Weights, and Balance and Mobility. I hope you get good results with your next white count test.

This morning I did P30 Low Impact HiiT which was 31 minutes and 215 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Step and Weights and Balance and Mobility. I hope that your appointment goes well today and that your white count is up.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body. After doing Supersets yesterday I decided that I still like Push Pull more. I remember having to make reservations for graduation a year in advance. It’s expensive but certainly worth it.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

went mt biking this morning at a state park we use occasionally. DH had to drop a caulk gun off for repair at a business close to the park so we had a very nice 2 hour ride on their lovely but difficult trails. 8 miles total. a good reason to make the drive there. then did therapy work after getting home. yesterday I did therapy along with half of stacked upper body using cathe level weights. one time thru all 3 sets of exercises. next time I will do it twice thru with the recommended weight levels. .

cathy I swear people in general can't read maps anymore. they're used to hearing directions from a voice and not looking at paper and figuring out where things are.

diane sue good luck on your white count going up.

Last edited:
No workout today. I have not seen the bloodwork report up yet. They are usually pretty quick getting it up on the Portal. I will check tomorrow. The doctor gave me a steroid injection and said to come back in 3 weeks. If the injection gets rid of the pain and inflammation it is the arthritis. If not they will do some x-rays and maybe mris to see what is causing the pain. He talked about degeneration and age related things. So, I will be returning sooner than usual. He also mentioned we may need to change meds.

Cathy, good idea to book early for the graduation. We missed some of the college graduations for my grandchildren. It seems they usually allow only 2 or 3 people so it ends up being parents and maybe siblings. With Covid we watched a couple of the graduations on sports network. Actually saw better than if we were sitting in the arena.

Valerie, I have not had experience with spine surgery. One of the women I play games with had surgery on her back in October. She is still not able to go back to playing golf like she was doing. She seems to get around pretty well though. She usually does not come to game days if it is sunny during summer and spring because she plays golf all of the time. She did say something about water aerobics or something and getting her husband to go do it so they can stay active.
Sometimes people seem to be totally unaware of surrounding. Where we used to live there were bike paths painted going up the road and into the park and around the lake. It used to annoy me when I would see people using the bike path to walk side by side in groups out into the street instead of on the sidewalk that was available. Children and dogs would be a bit harder to control. I never took my dog out for a walk with a long leash. Maybe in a campground when I was trying to encourage the dog to do it's business. But I always looked for a place that did not have other people and animals. Nice work with the therapy work. I guess our bodies just wear out. I have been having pain up my spine lately and it is so uncomfortable sitting for long periods. My doctor asked what I do for the stiffness when I get up and I told him movement and things that help open up space along the spine and neck.

Carolyn, nice work with P30 Low Impact Hiit. Is Supersets from Body Blast series the one she uses the stability ball for. I have not done that or Push and Pull in years.

Judy, nice work on the 45 minute Power Zone Peloton ride and Peloton strength workouts. Thanks on Kelly's upcoming workouts. I wondered why I haven't seen anything in awhile. I am not so wild about the latest workouts with a high step. I have done a couple of them lowering the step. So far she has been putting up the dvds on her raw channel. I just like to purchase usually so I have the premix options. I will have to see what she does with them.

Good afternoon. I didn’t have time to workout today. My husband had a medical appointment and I couldn’t fit it in before we had to leave. The appointment took all morning!

Valerie, it’s nice that you were able to bike in the state park. Good job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and therapy exercises.

Diane Sue, I hope that the steroid injection gives you some relief. Yes, Super Sets is the workout where Cathe uses the stability ball.

Hello to Cathy and Judy.

Woke up early enough this morning to do Boxing Hiit Express before I went shopping. And holy butt muscles, PP did a real number on them yesterday. LOL

Derek tells me he is not planning to walk at graduation, and odds are he won't change his mind, but I didn't think Nick would walk at his grad school graduation either, and he did. Though we watched it on livestream. They both had graduations during COVID. Derek did have one for high school mid summer, everyone had a time slot and families were together spaced out. Then Nick's ceremony at NMU was virtual. Nick was in a different situation at grad school as he was in a small program with only 14 students, 7 first year, 7 second year, so he wanted to graduate with them. Since Aliah will graduate 2 years after him, he's just really not into it. Doesn't surprise me, but at the same time, I'm waiting until closer to the actual time, and I can cancel up till a few days before.

Carolyn nice job with P30 Low Impact HiiT.

Valerie great job with stacked upper body and your therapy. What I've seen for years of being at the zoo alongside parents on school trips, is that the parents are really not given basic information ahead of time. Even spending 5 minutes before getting on buses to tell them a few basic things, would stop a lot of confusion.

Diane Sue I hope you get your blood test results soon. I agrees watching the livestreams of graduations actually gets you a much better view. I took a screen shot pic of Nick and also a video clip. NMU has no limit on how many people per student, it's just first come first serve seating in the football stadium. And weather is irrelevant because it's a wooden dome. Nick's was in a basketball arena and TCU actually had four separate ceremonies to accommodate everyone, but it's likely they still had limitations on numbers.

Yesterday I did a 60 minute Peloton Ride and 10 minutes of Arms. Today I worked 4 hours and did a 30 minute Peloton Ride and 10 minutes of Arms.

Cathy-Great job with Pyramid Pump Upper and Lower Body and Boxing Hiit Express. I really like the Pyramid Pump workouts too. It’s also one of the few Cathe workouts where I can match her weights easily and I don’t have to modify anything. The weather has been very nice this week.

Valerie-I’m sorry that you might need surgery. I hope you can see the surgeon soon and get some answers.

Carolyn-Great job with Supersets and P30 Low Impact HiiT.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Step and Weights toned arms and step intervals and Balance and Mobility. I hope you get your blood test results back soon and that the steroid injection helps.

No workout today. I woke up sick so spent most of my day lying down and napping. Hopefully things are good tomorrow. No fever, but dizziness and nausea. I thought maybe it was from the injection, but I have not had a reaction before and talking to my daughter I think I have a GI bug. I feel better this evening and was able to eat some roasted baby potatoes.
I did get my blood test results. I am going to have to call my doctor's office as there is not a link to the office online it seems to be a broken link. I was going to see if there was an e mail or something. I can e mail it to my doctor right from the portal though. My white count is marked low again. It has been low from the beginning so I will see what my primary has to say.

Cathy, with the young people it doesn't take much for them to change their minds or thoughts on something. It is best to be prepared rather than the nightmare of trying to get a hotel at the last minute. We were able to get pictures off of the virtual graduation. Also got to watch my granddaughter get her degree when she passed the bar. We were so proud of her. Nice work getting in Boxing Hiit Express. I am sure moving today after PP let you know how hard you had worked yesterday.

Carolyn, I always liked Super Sets and the stability ball work. I forget about the older workouts when I choose in the mornings. I imagine you revisit more when doing the rotations.

Judy great job with your workouts with Peloton rides and arms. I think I would not be all that motivated to workout if I worked. I guess I did it when I was younger and raising my children. Back then I would have got up at 3 or 4 in the morning to do a workout before I went to the doctor rather than just take a break. I wish I would have taken more breaks. One time I did a 10 mile run on the treadmill and an hour dvd and went fasted to my well check. Talk about starving hungry!

This morning I did Bi's, Tri's and shoulders from RWH. I've done so few workouts from that series. I have to wonder how much of it is due to the fact it is my least favorite background set up. I prefer the lighter outdoor settings.

Judy nice job with the Peloton rides and arms. Weather is looking quite nice for next week!

Diane Sue sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. I hope you figure out what's causing your low white blood cell numbers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.