Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/11

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning.
Our wall project finished yesterday. It is lovely. it is expensive. we knew we had to do it though and planned ahead for the "event". we HAD to do it. the stability of the slope depends on it being supported properly, and as much as we don't want to think about it, eventually we will need to sell and downsize, and we could not sell with toxic crumbling wood walls. nice to see the outcome be so good so we can enjoy it for years to come. the other thing about the wood was it got deadly slippery so it was a real hazard. if the concrete gets slick it can be power washed.
we start moving plants today. we have a week before hydro seed to fill in the extensive areas of grass that no longer exist. all the heavy equipment in the wet destroyed the lawn. I'm no fan of lawns but we need something green growing on the areas that are now pounded down dirt and mud. hydro was a better option than sod. our yard is very hard to work on due to hillside, nothing is flat. they did a great job but could not do it without driving over the lawn. lawn doesn't exist at all in big swaths. I don't like grass but there is no way anything else would work on a large area we walk on. cant do pebbles or gravel etc.

Judy that's a terrific goal to reach for..... and I mean the closet! we use two layers of poles and the open wire stacking baskets. I don't own a dresser in any form and never have. everything gets hung, small things like underwear, socks, shorts in baskets. wont work in every house but I love not dealing with big furniture.

so many cute leggings, not sure how that one made the cut.

Valerie, it looks like we both started a thread for this week! Ladies, please ignore the one that I started and post here instead.

Bringing my post over from last weeks thread:

Just getting caught up on reading posts. We've been working on a closet project the past few days. It's something we've been wanting to do for a long time and with me not working this weekend we finally had time for it. This is what we are doing:

I managed to get a couple of workouts in. Friday I did RWH Shoulders & Triceps with Bonus Abs 1 and yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride. This morning I did RWH Lift it Hiit it Legs.

Cathy-I agree about the leggings. Most are really cute but those weren't ones that I would wear.
Congratulations on finishing STS. I really think that I will try another round later this year. I feel like the RWH workouts are helping me to prepare for that.

Carolyn-Great job with Step Sync. I will have to revisit the Step Boss series eventually but I haven't been motivated to do step workouts recently. I would enjoy the Wham dance cardio too. That was great music!

Valerie-Wow! That is a lot of snow!

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts. I'm not good at dance workouts but I will have to look at the Wham dance one. That sounds like fun.

Hi to Deb & Lori

Carolyn looks like we posted at the same time. since you are east and I am west, 4 min is nothing. I was stalling so I didnt have to go out and dig in the mud.

we are taking a break from plant moving right now. most moved today. when we dug things in fall they were at their biggest and leafiest, in spring things are a lot smaller so its somewhat easier. some plants were hard to even find!. we pruned things and some wont make the cut. we did almost the whole plant replacement in a day. DH is a working machine! So glad we did this and spent the money needed. we will get to enjoy this improvement for hopefully quite a while. so much easier to walk up and down the hill on stone instead of slippery wood. its wet here, and much of the year the wood gets a layer of slime that makes it dangerous to walk on. when we did the wall project 30 years ago, treated timbers were the only option but they are not perfect. in this climate even stone might get slippery but we can work around it.

Last edited:
This morning I did X10, premix X38, Low Impact and Step. That was 38 minutes and 225 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 146. This is not a workout that I ever think of doing, but I made a note in my workout log book to remind me that it exists!

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

Looks like I didn't make it here yesterday. Probably because we were wrapped up in the fact that our water pressure suddenly took a huge dive. Plumbers came out today and we need a new tank and water softener. We have REALLY hard water. Tank was only 10 years old, but the water softener is original to the house in '94. At least our tax return will cover it.

Yesterday I did Cardio Boxing was definitely better than the one I did the day before. And yes, Diane Sue, sounds like you got the right workout for those leggings. Today I did Party Rock'n Step 1. I always get a good workout with that one. No ability to shower so it's gonna be fun dealing with that till the problem is dealt with. Also, no dishwasher, washer use. Hopefully, they have what we need. He said that in general they are able to get those things, though apparently other things aren't so easy to come by.

Diane Sue, I only drag the ladder in for things like light fixtures. Otherwise I just use a chair and climb on the counter. We just don't have any extra space for step stools even as this is a really small house. My parents intended it for their retirement house.

Valerie I'm so glad your project turned out well. I'm with you on the grass. Or yard and the neighbors are like night and day. LOL His is immaculate with great landscaping and they just keep adding things. He will admit that the amount of upkeep is a bit much and he's 65 now, so not sure how long the two of them can keep going. Ours is natural. Might still be half grass. It does tend to stay green much longer in the summer if it's dry. Weeds are generally more resistant to heat. Plus at least half of the back yard is natural with paths, and over the years the birds have planted a lot of stuff.

Judy great job on the RWH and Peloton rides!

Carolyn great job with X10. That's a disk I really haven't used much at all.

Both of us are short so we have a variety of step stools and ladders, plus we are big do-it-yourselfers and right away you need two " things" to get us both in the work zone. I use chairs a lot too.

we only use grass as the best option for less mud. we have a lot of gravel areas, but gravel gets weeds, and it wont stay in place on hills. I'm very allergic to grass besides. I do not mow the grass EVER. our 'lawn" is a lot of weeds, moss, with some grass mixed in. yes the birds and the deer plant plenty of seeds for us!. Cathy if you saved the receipt for your water heater, they are often warranteed pretty long, and you might get a new one free. our last one was free because it died in close to 10 years. I dont remember exactly how long it was covered, but it was pretty long. we were surprised. the replacement one was a different brand, but it all went thru Lowes and you cant beat free. we did it ourselves. need a truck to transport it and then a hand truck to get it out of the truck and into the house. we don't have a water softener so cant speak to that.

mt biked this morning for 95 minutes. trails will open up soon letting us get off the roads.

Today I did RWH Upper Body Circuit for 46 minutes and 217 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Cathy, great job with Cardio Boxing and Party Rockin Step 1. That’s bad news about your water pressure and hot water heater. I don’t know anything about water softeners. Is it similar to the hot water heater? I hope that you can get things replaced and working properly soon.

Valerie, nice job with 95 minutes of mountain biking.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Had a very short night's sleep and I've pretty much been awake since 1:30. LOL I did Mobility and I'm walking hourly outside, but it's my rest week anyway, so that's okay.

We don't need a new water heater yet, thankfully. It's the pressure tank and the water softener. Both the water heater and the water softener are 26 years old, so I'm pretty sure any warranty is over and done. Got estimates yesterday from a very old, reliable company, but they are pricey. I knew they would be, but for once DH is willing to do this kind of thing on his own, and I'm letting him roll with it. Too many issues come up, when I'm in the middle as communicator. Have someone else come out tomorrow, and they manufacture their own products, so it cuts out the middleman and they should be less expensive. Guy on the phone was all reassuring with his we've been in business since 1966. The pricey one has been around since 1939!

I really need to ask my Dad what he was thinking when he designed this as their retirement home and the utility room where you have to carry bags of salt, is in the far corner of the basement from where the stairs come out. So, you either have to carry it from the garage, to the front door, down the stairs and all the way across the basement or in through the garage, through the house, down the stairs and across the basement. There is no way he could be doing that now, or for the last few years, if they still lived here.

Valerie great that you were able to go on a long mountain bike ride today!

Carolyn great job on the RWH Upper Body.

ha ha no 26 is a ripe old age for a water heater... ours was just short of 10 years and we were surprised it was covered. we have private community water system with a lot of minerals and its hard on water heaters so we have replaced it more than once. "Free" was just fine but we were going to do the rest of the work ourselves anyway. if you have to hire someone it's probably not worth doing half the job yourselves.

our garden is moving right along. we replanted the ornamental grasses yesterday. they are un-killable but still nice. japanese forest grass. tried to xc ski but someone had snowmobiled "our" road making it not skiable until it goes thru a few freeze -thaw cycles and the ruts settle down. so ended up working in the garden. we are having a lovely stretch of weather and trying to get all yard work done ASAP.

Cathy do you have a hand truck? they are not that expensive and make it easy to carry heavy things around and up/down stairs. our driveway/garage is on a different level, the outdoor route steep and slippery. everything here is challenging and a $20 hand truck was so worth it. they dont take up a lot of room. get one with straps on it so bags can be secured.
ETA hand trucks are more expensive than $20. I had one a long time for work and had to move heavy multiple boxes from storage to customers, and back out again. they are worth the money. more like $100-200. we have used it thousands of times. one person can handle a water heater with one, though its better to use two people. one to push while the other pulls to get the load up and rolling. its like a ladder. when you need one, nothing else will do.

Last edited:
This morning I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 306 calories burned. Average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 163.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did Live Jabs and Kicks. It's an okay workout, but my sleep deprived body and brain were rebelling. Some of the combos felt awkward, but I don't know they really are, or if my brain just decided that. About 40 minutes in, my energy took a dive, so I stopped and stretched. Shopping tomorrow, so hopefully by Friday I'll be with it again.

Derek had his first Moderna this morning. So far, his arm's just sore. The drama continues with the water softener/tank. The company that was supposed to come this afternoon, had to reschedule for in the morning. Then DH got a phone call from the people that came the other day, saying after they tested the water they recommend we contact Culligen because our water is so hard they can't help us. Years ago, we had a guy who came and just did testing and he told us it was the highest iron level he'd seen. I still don't understand how the water softener survived this long. Hopefully, the company tomorrow can deal with the problem and soon. And bonus fun, the water softener keeps trying to run without enough water pressure to succeed AND even after we unplugged the darn thing, it's still trying to run. I've looked it all over and can't find any other potential source of power. So weird.

Valerie that's too bad that you weren't able to ski. Gardening can be a heck of a workout though.

Carolyn great job on the Rev'd Up Rumble.

This morning I did Coffey FIt Raw Cardio Crush remake, 39 minutes, 237 calories, heart rate 146/193(the 193 was a blip on the graph which I figured was during an out of breath coughing and sneezing session),2,628 steps. I then did CDorner Bosu/hiit/bodyweight calorie burning 25 minutes, 131 calories, 852 steps and finished with CDorner Mobility #33, 27 minutes, heart rate 87/109, 53 calories, 90 steps.
Total time was 91 minutes, 421 calories, 3,570 steps. Cardio Crush was okay I guess. I didn't love it. I got a kick out of Kelly at the end doing her little dancy thing. CDorner Bosu was a bit more getting down on my hands than I wanted. I did not lift the bosu overhead the first round. Second I did. It is two rounds of 11 moves. She does offer options. This one she was not talking to other people. I liked the mobility workout. I was looking on youtube last night and it seems I have done quite a lot of her mobility workouts already.

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did RWH Upper Body Circuit and the no blast premix from RWH Lower Body Circuit.

Tuesday Chris and I got our second Moderna vaccines. We both had some side effects this time, starting with being very tired and not feeling like doing anything. Yesterday morning I woke up with chills and body aches and had a fever all day. Chris also had body aches and a fever. I started feeling better late last night but Chris was still feeling bad until this late this morning. I'm glad that's over for now, but it looks like we will need a booster shot in the fall, from what I have been reading.

Carolyn-Great job with X10, Upper Body Circuit and Rev'd Up Rumble.

Cathy-Nice job with Live Jabs and Kicks. I haven't tried that one yet.

Diane Sue-Great job with the Raw and CDorner workouts.

Valerie-Nice ride this week!

Hi to Deb & Lori

This morning I did PHA3, a timesaver which included 1A, 2A, and 2B. That was 46 minutes and 278 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 163. I had to go to the grocery store after that. My husband was working with his personal trainer when I returned. I’m so glad that he is doing that. He has worked with this trainer for 5 years at the gym, but of course that ended with the pandemic. They agreed to try it here at home since the gym is not a good environment for him with the Parkinson’s. They started again two weeks ago and it seems to be going well. He is not motivated to do things on his own, so the extra accountability is great for him.

Cathy, nice job with Live Jabs and Kicks, even with your limited sleep. That’s terrible news about your tank. Hopefully another company can help.

Diane Sue, great job with Coffeyfit Raw Cardio Crush and CDorner Bosu workout and her mobility workout. I hope that you are settling into your new home.

Judy, nice work with RWH Upper Body Circuit and the no blast premix from Lower Body Circuit. I’m glad that the vaccine side effects are over for you. Hopefully your husband will feel better by tomorrow.

Waving hello to Valerie, Deb, and Lori.

We went on a hike yesterday, decent workout for 2 hrs 38 min and today we went skiing. it was getting warm quickly though and the snow was going to slush so about 3. 5 hours. had lunch at 10:30 while sitting in the snow. its too warm right now to ski, we will switch to cycling until we get out of this unseasonal too warm period.

Judy sorry to hear you both felt bad, but that was exactly how it went for me with the Pfizer one. tired, headachy, feverish, and spent more time than usual sleeping, lasted about 24 hours. DH at first didn't have any sxs but the next day he didn't feel too sharp, just about the time I was feeling better. I was reading about booster shots. would be nice if it was combined with the regular flu shot most people are gettign anyway.

Cathy good to hear you son is part way thru the process. do you have a pressurizer on your water system too? we have one. I hate it but "no pressure" is worse. Hope the service people get their times and days coordinated so you can get back to normal.

Carolyn glad your DH is getting back to workouts. its always hard to restart if you stop working out for a while. a little boost from a trainer to help compliance is a good thing.

Sicilian Spaghetti Cake (Pasticcio di Spaghetti alla Siracusana) Recipe | EatingWell

this is a really good recipe. I've been making it for > 20 years. Its meat free. very tasty and uses common ingredients, in my kitchen anyway. I bake in a cast iron pan. it gets browned and crispy on top. I just made it for the first time in a year. works with whole wheat or regular pasta. I never had luck getting it out of the pan intact so I serve it from the pan. helps keep it hot anyway.

Last edited:
Shopped this morning. The second company came while I was gone. They have products that will work, lower price, longer warranties and they will be here in the morning to install. YAY! I'm just going to workout in Derek's room. Not a lot of room, but I can manage a boxing type workout.

Derek ended up with a sore arm, didn't sleep well as he had a headache that lasted into the morning. Says that he actually feels really good now and just has a sore arm. He and the GF are off to the Milwaukee Zoo in the morning, so glad he's feeling okay.

Diane Sue great job on the workouts! Do you like using the Bosu?

Judy great job on the RWH workouts! Sorry about your side affects. I'm definitely not looking forward to what I get after my second on the 26th. I just know they need to last about a day and a half as I head north on the 28th.

Carolyn nice on job on PHA3! That's fantastic that your husband has a trainer to work with him.

Valerie sounds like you got in a great hike! Sounds like the skiing was a mixed bag, but at least you can cycle while the weather straightens around. Derek won't need his second until May 12, and when I told Nick (older one) he should get signed up for our local health department, so he'd start getting vaccine appointments as he can get his second any time after May 3, he had already done that, and has been getting emails. Now if he can just figure out housing in TX, I think reality is setting in that it's not going to be easy since he wants to live by himself.

I was not at all sad that I'm not sitting out at the first baseball game of the year today. One of those days where I'd be wearing layers and my winter coat, and blankets while drinking hot tea.

Today I did Cathe Step Boss I Max 4 using a 6 inch stuff instead of 8, 48 minutes,(44 actual), 243 calories, heart rate 131/169, 4,932 steps. I had a much higher heart rate from what I generally got with Fitbit. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Shoulder/ Neck Limitations new strength workout, 35 minutes, 125 calories, heart rate 107/134, 401 steps. Interesting that I was messing with the sets feature trying to figure it out without the manual. When I was done it actually recognized curls and triceps extensions as I had pushed the top button to restart sets twice during the workout. I did not tell it what I was doing. I also did CDorner Neck and Shoulder Stretch, 30 calories, heart rate 79/98, 34 steps. Total time was 1 hour 57 minutes, 398 calories, 5,367 steps. I liked the new Kelly workout. I was a little apprehensive about the scapular squeeze. Kelly says if anything bothers, do not do it. On that move she says you can just do the leg kickback.
Coffey Fit Raw Shoulder/Neck Limitations 35:47 minutes 4/15/21
2 pair dumbbells Kelly uses 12's and 15's Workout targets arms with restricted form, and lower body along with some upper back.
6 moves done for 45 seconds repeated as 3 rounds
squats 15's holding dumbbells down to sides option use 1 dumbbell and do goblet squats
biceps curls 1 arm anchored by the other arm so no shoulder movement 12 # dumbbell
reverse lunge alternating 15# dumbbells
triceps kickbacks 1 arm anchored by the other arm 12# dumbbell
no weight 1 leg balance knee up and circle Kelly uses a bar for balance
anchored scapular squeeze leg kickback alternating sides 12# dumbbells
repeat 2 more times

Sorry I am not posting back so much. I am still so busy trying to get things done and settled along with general laundry and cleaning. Week after next my grandson will be in the classroom for school two days a week till school is out in May. I don't know how easy it will be to keep masks on those 6 year olds. I take him to the store and it ends up off, on his head, or me picking it up off of the floor. They are not mandated her, but most stores still have their signs up and the majority of people still put on their masks. I need to get to bed before 1 am tonight. I cleaned last night after my husband left. Since we have so much tile I used the steam mop to clean up. Nice because I use it on the walk in shower floor as well. The whole main area living/dining/kitchen are all wood plank look ceramic tile and baths are a marble looking tile. We are getting a lot of dust as they are building houses up the street and not yet started behind us. I wipe things down and look and a new layer is all over. It is raining here right now. Our sprinkler system has a rain sensor, but it was running yesterday when I got up and raining so I had to shut it down. I need to refer to the manual I guess.

Cathy, I have had my Bosu for a lot of years. I would use it more if there were more workouts that use it. I think balance work is good for us as we age. It is just getting the feel for it a bit before you get going if it is cardio based. CDorner has several of them. I hope that you get your water problems fixed.

Valerie, the recipe looks good. My granddaughter might like that one. Sorry it was too warm for skiing. We have a tankless hot water heater in the new house. It seems to work well. I have never had one before. We had just replaced the hot water heater in our other house.

Carolyn, that is great that your husband has a trainer that will come to your home. Nice work on PHA3.

Judy, I am glad that you are starting to feel better. I hope Chris is better soon. Nice work on the RWH workouts. Good Combo.

diane sue we have a tankless water heater in our MT house. especially made sense there, or we would have to drain the water heater every time we left. I get one in any new house. it works great, no water tank to worry about. I think you will like it. this is my first experience with one.
the recipe uses canned whole tomatoes drained. I've subbed a can of diced tomatoes, drained. the pasta gets a little crispy so don't want too much liquid. I usually use dry basil. I never get tired of this one.

Last edited:
This morning I did WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 108 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 151. Then I did Element Yoga with Alanna Zabel, the toning practice, which had a lot of core work. That was 22 minutes and an additional 25 calories.

Valerie, thats too bad that the snow is getting too slushy for skiing. At least you were able to have a nice hike.

Cathy, good news from that second company about your new tank. It sounds like your problem will be solved soon.

Diane Sue, nice job with IMAX 4 and Coffeyfit Raw Shoulder and Neck Limitations strength workout. That‘s an interesting concept, but Kelly probably knows something about neck and shoulder problems with all of the boxing that she does. Your Garmin is really giving detailed information on your workouts.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.