Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/29

Today I did Live #235-Leg Day. I wore an 8 lb vest and used lighter weights so it was more of a cardio workout for me. I extended my leave of absence from Home Depot until 4/30. I'm hopeful things will be better by then but if not I will extend it longer.

Deb-Great job with the Live upper body workout!

Valerie-That's great that you got your new washer and dryer installed already. I bet you will love them!
Home Depot is definitely an essential business, like you said. Appliances, hot water heaters, toilets, things like that need to be replaced right away.

Diane Sue-I like the idea of mixing the Raw Strength series with Build & Burn. I may do that too.
I'm sorry Gertie isn't feeling well. I hope she is better soon.

Carolyn-Great job with the JS HiiT walk! I'm thinking about doing a week of JS workouts soon.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Judy

Last edited:
Good morning ladies,

Sunday I did a Gizellvejar trampoline workout. It was about 70 minutes with some leg work/squats mixed in. Even though I do not understand a word she says, her workouts are great and lots of fun. Very upbeat. Monday was Cathe’s Fitsplit bootcamp boxing and SBF lower target. Tuesday was a SanFran bounce from youtube that had some great toning sections and yesterday was a Hamlin Inchloss 11.7. This class was a total body workout with a little cardio. I really enjoy his workouts.

looks like everyone has had some great workouts!

Valerie..that bread looks delicious. I made 2 more banana breads yesterday - one for us and one for my son. I also made two triple chocolate cheescakes and gave one to him too. He was so happy! I put our cheescake immediately in the freezer for the time being. Otherwise, I would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! 30 years on the appliances. Wow!

The only phones we have are our cells. We got rid of our landline when Nicholas graduated from highschool. No one called us, otherbthan the school for closings, etc. if there is an emergency in town, we have the reverse 911 and the police will call our cells.

Carolyn...hilarious your grandchildren asked what the phone was! Nice your daughter ordered a jumpsport. How old are her children? There are some great youtube workouts for kids. Do you use it at all?

Deb...I set up our treadmill for my husband to start using. So far so good. He needs to get back into exercising and lose some weight. Couple years ago he lost quite a bit, but put some back on. The extra weight does not help his heart issue. We figure our treadmill is about 18 or 19 years old and still going strong.

Diane Sue....oh poor Gertie! Hope she is feeling better! I went shopping on Monday and things were pretty quite. Everything is marked with red tape for people to respect the 6ft space. This is all still so insane to me this is all happening! Funny you should mentioned the liquor stores, they reported on the news here that liquor stores had record sales the 3rd week into this pandemic. Everybody seems to be stocking up!!!

Judy...that is great you are on a LOA. I would do the same. If we still were working I would still have to go into the office. In a way, it has been a blessing Bob and I are home. I go out once a week and sterilize everything from the store when I get home. I even change my clothes and shower. It might be a bit much but we are not taking any chances!. Bob absolutely can not get this. The Cathe workout I did on Monday was the first workout I have done of hers in a long time, felt good. Like coming home. :)

Have a great day all!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did 10,978 steps, and today I did 4 Day Split, Lower Body weights premix, 36 minutes, 193 calories.

Due to boredom, I did the video testing and both dogs got their AKC Trick Dog Novice titles. I had never had any interest in this in the past. 2 of my friends are AKC evaluators, and the AKC contacted all of their evaluators and said that they can do it by watching a video of the dogs/handlers instead of doing it in person. It was fun, and something for the dogs and I to do to pass the time. I miss my classes!!

Valerie, I agree now...did not think what someone would do if their refrigerator died!
How far do you have to travel to get that fresh snow for skiing? Yes, even the "simple" washers and dryers can be a bit complicated. Grocery stores can only sell beer here...no wine or hard liquor.

Carolyn, even if you were not motivated, you picked a good workout. Hate to be cynical, but the only reason I can think that liquor stores would remain open is so the state can continue to get the tax revenue. Nice that your WW had a way to have a meeting.

Diane Sue, poor Gertie! You mentioned rice....have you tried boiled ground turkey or chicken breast with pumpkin? Maybe the grains bother her? I hope she feels better. you are lucky to have a grocery store that you can go to at 2 am. None of ours are open like that. In fact, most of the larger chains have cut down their hours. It's been so long since I even looked at the weighted vest, I forgot that it probably can be made lighter.

Judy, the Leg Day Live was the one she did at the road trip right? Also, the free one she lets you download? How was it? Smart to extend your leave with HD.

Lori, nice workouts! That's great that your treadmill is still working and that Bob is doing it. Completely understand your protocol when coming home from shopping. You cannot be too careful.

Stay safe!

We finished Big Little Lies last night. its a fun short series. I loved it.

I put coffee shops and alcohol into the same category as "quality of life issues" . I need my glass of chardonnay like I need my cup(s) of coffee. not essential to survival, but essential to life as I know it. with bars and restaurants closed, people need to increase their home supply. Luckily both can be gotten most places at the grocery without special shops or stops. the state collects revenue on taxed items no matter where they are bought. I was fine with state liquor stores when we had them, but it is easier if you can buy all alcohol with groceries. the wine and beer selection is better but it didn't affect prices much.
I limit how many stores I go to, go early before anything is crowded. we are also all marked out for distancing. big shopping carts help that barrier. people "stock up" on anything they imagine might be in short supply. I bought a little extra wine and coffee but already had TP, paper towels, Kleenex, sanitizer. definitely not hoarder levels, but enough so I don't need to stress if things are not available for a while.
Beans! I can't find dry beans anywhere. I'm fine with canned ones but who would have expected such a run on dry beans. parts of our stores look exactly normal, but a few sections look cratered like a bomb hit. produce seems unaffected and that's a big part of my diet.

its really pathetic some states are not taking this seriously. we are all in this together. there are clear limits to how many sick people can be taken care of and with free travel around the country, one state not enforcing can lead to causing problems beyond their borders.

Did the month of March feel like it was about 3 years long?

we did a hike this morning, a county park where trails are open. its big, not that popular and we only saw 4-5 people briefly in passing. its close by a very popular state park that normally gets most of the foot traffic, but state parks are closed. took us 2 hours. there's a lot of up and down. its a decent workout.

Deb we also had stores cut their open hours, some so they can restock shelves safely. a lot of 24 hr are now open less hours.

Last edited:
I didn’t work out this morning. I needed to go to the grocery store and I wanted to do it early. Apparently many others had the same idea. It was very crowded for 8:00 in the morning. Our governor issued a statewide shelter in place order effective tomorrow and I think that was the reason. Many local municipalities already had shelter in place orders, so it shouldn’t have changed much for us in the metro area.

Lori, nice workouts. I can see how it would easy to follow a rebounder workout without understanding the language. The movement and enthusiasm are contagious. My grandchildren are 8 and 11. Yes, I still use my JumpSport for extra movement. I don‘t record it as a workout, but I still enjoy it.

Judy, I’m glad that you extended your leave of absence. I think that we have to be very careful with our health.

Diane Sue, I hope that Gertie is better today.

Deb, great job with your steps. Being stuck at home is a good time to try something new. There is only so much cleaning that I can do! The WW headquarters made the decision to go to virtual meetings at the beginning of the month. It has since been extended.

Valerie, Zoom is a videoconference software that is very popular right now. Many schools and businesses are using it. Yesterday was my first time trying it and I didn’t turn on my camera, but that wasn’t a conscious decision that I made. WW set up a link for each meeting location and I followed that, but I didn’t change any settings in the Zoom app. Maybe I will do better next time! I really enjoyed Big Little Lies.

Stay healthy everyone.

Today I did Kelly TMF Cardio Blast both workouts , 1 hour 18 minutes(actual 1 hr 15), heart rate 116/157, 344 calories, 6,281 steps. This is long as I did it from the Raw streaming site and the streaming of dvds does not have premixes. They do have Build and Burn workouts on their individually though. I also did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga knees and hips, 24 minutes, 26 calrories, heart rate 80/98, 44 steps.
Total time 1 hr 45 minutes, 370 calories.

Today I did Live #204 Hiit & Sculpt. I really enjoyed that one. It was 10 short hiit moves followed by high rep upper body work and then lower body & core work on the floor.

Deb- I just checked and the one I did yesterday wasn't from a road trip. I have the free one but I haven't tried it yet. It looks like a good one.

Carolyn-We do have to be very careful. It's getting bad and the next few weeks look like they will be the worst.

Diane Sue-Nice workouts today! That was a long session!

Valerie-All of the grocery stores here have cut their hours back too. Most stores that were open until 10 or 11 pm are now closing at 8 or earlier. I agree, March seemed very long, especially the last two weeks.

Lori-Great workouts this week! I agree with sterilizing things brought in and changing clothes/showering after going out. You can't be too careful with this virus.

Take care,

Judy

Gertie seems better today. She woke me up barking because Amazon delivered a package around 7:30 this morning. I guess she wanted to make sure we knew something was out there. She generally does not bark like that, but I am usually quick to retrieve the packages. I was not ready to get up since I did cleaning last night after my husband went to work. I gave her rice and chicken today and so far no more problem and she acts like normal. She was not acting quite so normal a couple of days ago. Kind of mopey. Maybe I can get her back on her regular food.

Judy, good idea to take off till April 30th. It seems like it is going to take awhile for this virus to run it's course. Most of the grocery stores here have cut their hours back too. I think mainly so they can stock their shelves and Sprouts says so their employees can get a little more rest so they can stay healthy. There is just the one store that is keeping it's doors open and they have a lot of employees working to keep it stocked. Actually I felt a few too many hanging around in front, but I am guessing they made sure there was enough to get people checked out immediately rather than having them have to line up.

Lori, I printed up that banana bread recipe that Valerie posted. Now I need bananas :) I generally throw a couple of ripe bananas in the freezer for baking when they don't get eaten. I hear there are a lot of instructors putting up free stuff on YouTube right now. I hardly look at it lately. I see you are still coming up with some interesting sounding instructors that I have never heard of. It is funny what some peoples important items are when there is an emergency like this. I saw one woman who I guess does not cook with a cart full of frozen diet dinners and 2 liter bottles of pop. I am more about saving money and getting what I really need just in case this is a lot longer. There are so many unsure things and guessing things with charts and stuff. I just pray the Lord makes it stop sooner than later. It is good you are sterilizing and keeping things clean. No, Bob cannot afford to get this virus.

Deb, nice work on getting in the 10,000 steps. I seem to do that more on the days that I do Jessica Smiths Walk Strong workouts than other ones. I bet you do miss the contact and going out with the dogs for their training and qualifying. Interesting that they have a way of doing stuff without you being there. Technology is amazing. I have never had a problem with just plain boiled rice with Gertie. It has been my protocol whenever this has happened. What I am worried about is that it is the new dog food. I did not get the vet recommended prescription formula with all of that cellulose and stuff in it. But another from Royal Caanan that is a weight management one. The vet seemed to think that her being on a grain free dog food was unhealthy. I told him we had problems before and she has always done well with the Salmon grain free. I also told him that I add pumpkin to it. Anyway, she has eaten over half of the bag without a problem till now which seems odd. At first I combined the two slowly till I got her on the new food fully. I guess I will know for sure if I get her back to eating the dry food and she gets sick again. I don't really see why the persistence that dogs need grains. They don't eat them that I know of in the wild. I was just hoping the new food would help her not be so hungry. She makes us feel guilty when we give her the amount she is supposed to have. I may just end up going back to what works for her. The Satiate one was supposed to make the dog feel full, but I just see a problem with a bowl with that much cellulose in it. I need to call my vets office and see if I can get some Frontline Gold. I think I am supposed to call and they make arrangements to bring it out to the car.
I forgot that weights come out of that vest till my 5 year old grandson decided to take them all out and take the weight bars out of my ankle weights. I had fun finding them all and putting them back.

Valerie, there are a few areas in both Sprouts and the Crest Foods that are fairly gutted. Flour and baking supplies. I did manage to get flour both times though. This time I would say there was about 8 5# bags sitting on the shelf. Bottled water in singles. Although they did have a few this time and a sign saying limit one pack. I did not find liquid hand soap though. I will make a trip to Sprouts on my own when I think they aren't too busy. They are not like the big stores like Walmart as far as being busy. I have not seen markers for keeping distance. There are just a few people out and they all tend to stay a few feet away. Like us, the go to another area and come back when the other shopper has moved on. I made a vegetarian dish of chickpea marsala that was supposed to be made in an instant Pot, but I did it stove top. I think the canned beans are softer than when I cook dried beans. I kept thinking the dish would have been better if I had not used canned chick peas. I guess we all have our certain things that make our day go right and give comfort. I have Four Sigmatic Lions Mane Mushroom coffee 1 packet every morning and I look forward to that. I like the taste. I was looking today and I only have one left. Usually I order a box of them from Amazon and then pick up a few single packets to finish out a couple of weeks when I go to Sprouts. I haven't been out that much.

Carolyn, I was looking yesterday and it seems most of the stores that are having senior hours are only on specific days and some open earlier than normal opening time. Target has an early day and Sprouts has an early day. With my husband working nights it has been difficult for me to get up and get out early. So far shopping has not been too bad. it would be difficult at this point to get delivery and Walmart pick up has not been good about getting what you want. I am hoping once I hit Sprouts I can stay away for a couple of weeks. I don't know how my daughter will be doing it, but she said she would be teaching online.

Our governor on a news conference tonight said WA will be on official lockdown until at least May 4. adjusted if needed as conditions change and new data comes in. we had the first corona case here and we have not peaked yet although WA caseload is rising much more slower than in other places, like NY. once the herd of horses is out of the barn, it's hard to get it back under control.
this won't be over for a while. it's unfortunate there is no leadership from the top reinforcing the need to lock down all non essential activity in all states until this is under control. a president could lean heavily on all governors to make sure these rules and regs are uniformly respected. But what are those odds??? o_O
I expected the produce section to be empty but it was completely fully stocked. the baking supplies were cleaned out, as were dry beans, packaged rice dishes, fancy frozen vegetables, plus the usual tp, kleenex, cleaning products. bread was wiped out. that was all I noticed. I only got what I needed and didn't cruise every aisle.

Today I did LiTE PHA 2 which was 51 minutes and 289 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Diane Sue, nice job with Kelly’s Cardio Blast. I have that dvd and it never occurs to me to pull it out. I need to take another look. Dedicated Senior shopping hours are only certain days here too. I don’t worry about that set aside time since it doesn’t work for me. You mentioned the hand soap from Sprouts that you like. I really like the Everyone brand hand soap that I get there.

Valerie, I noticed that my grocery store with the things that were wiped out. We like a good whole wheat bread or a seed bread. I have been able to find that without a problem—it’s usually all that’s left. I expect our state’s shelter in place order to be extended beyond April 13. I don’t think it will be effective otherwise.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Deb.

Today I toned down my workout a bit. I think I have a bakers cyst on the back of my right knee. I had one on the left before when I had the torn miniscus. The right knee kind of was swollen after the impact I did yesterday. :( So, today I did Raw Intervals #5 which she says you can do whatever you want for cardio as follow her or use equipment. I used the floor at first and followed her somewhat then decided the last half to use the rebounder. I used 10,8, and 5# for the shoulders only. This was 36 minutes, 123 calories, heart rate 108/158, 1,690 steps. I finished off with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Total Body, 21 minutes, 21 calories, 21 steps. Weird with all of the 21's. Total time 57 minutes, calories burned 144, 1,711 steps.
I think that I have used this workout before, or maybe it is similar to something else. It just seems the other time I used the spin bike for half of the cardio. I will post the workout later, I need to get showered and go to Sprouts.

I am back from Sprouts. It was a quick in and out. Not busy at all. I got my stuff and went straight to the register and checked out. I was a little worried that it might be busier because it is a Friday. It is freezing outside today. Weird how we can go from 90 to 31 degrees so easily. I had to take a double look at my weather app as I thought something was wrong with it. I was just checking to see if I needed my jacket. I sort of wanted to wear my jacket so my clothes would be covered and I could put my keys in my pocket. I got some hand soap at Sprouts which makes me happy. I had some on order from Amazon and it was not going to arrive till late in the month. I am tilting the bottle to get it to squirt so canceled the Amazon order. Maybe should have kept it. There were not a lot of bottles of hand soap. They moved them all to the bottom to shelves in front.

Valerie, our lockdown is till the end of April and may change as needed. People here seem to be honoring the lockdown pretty well. It is interesting that baking supplies are low. I understand about beans. Although it seems like so many people do not cook, I am surprised they would head for those things.

Carolyn, I like several different brands. I ended up getting the South of France violet scent. I had ordered Jason Rosewater hand soap. I just do not like the ones you pick up at Walmart or other regular grocers. I really prefer something that moisturizes a bit and has a nice scent. I am sort of liking some items I have picked up at Walmart recently for Cleaning called Home and Planet. Amazon has some of their stuff and I see they have hair and body products as well. I think that I have some of the Everyone Brand in my guest bath. I get my hair color there as well unless I order a case of 6 boxes through Amazon. I picked that up today too.
I think the plyo workout on Cardio Blast is not as crazy as some of Cathe's although for some reason it set off my usually good knee. I had noticed a bit of a lump there before and wondered if it was just the difference from the other side because they other leg had had surgery before. But it is larger and my knee is swollen a bit. I have an appointment with my Arthritis doctor May 6th if that doesn't change and will have to address this. I read that they can sometimes show up with arthritic areas.

Last edited:
I did Metabolic Total body and abs 1. I haven't done it in a while so I went with 8's instead of 10's on a few moves. I like MTB. not too hard and not too easy, no dreaded moves.

going to try a grocery run tomorrow early. have not shopped on a Saturday in ages so not sure how busy things will be. need fruit and vegies and not much else. I will try my previous method with only keys, cc, DL, and my phone in my jacket pockets. no purse to get contaminated.

diane sue, hope your doggies is doing better. I thought the fuss about dog food and cardiomyopathy was related to foods that avoid grains, causing a shortage of a key component.
I can see the run on baking supplies but all the people who don't cook suddenly making pots of beans doesn't ring true to me. I'll get another look in the morning. I don't think ( my opinion) dogs have evolved and been bred over a long time and don't resemble their wild ancestors very closely anymore.

Carolyn, that almond butter is delicious. I put a little on an apple half I love ginger and would never have thought it would mix well into almond butter. around here, the only bread left was white "wonder bread" stuff. I grabbed the last double package of seed bread but we don't eat a lot of bread so it should be good for months. with all the states that are finally getting on board with shut downs, it will be a while before restrictions will be lifted. WA was one of the first states and it looks like we are flattening the curve but still a long way to go.

saturday now and back from my shopping trip. here saturday mornings are a good time. I was there about 8:15 and not very busy. stopped at 2 stores, one had what the other did not. neither had many dry beans, lentils. no problem with canned beans, in fact on sale. even got some kleenex, and there was TP on the shelves. most big demand items have a request limit, like no more than 3 boxes on the kleenex. I wore gloves but wow, a pain. get stuck on pockets and pretty much everything else. I have a mask but not feeling the need to wear it yet. we have a nice weather week coming up so we will try to do some acceptable outdoor things. weve picked a few logging roads where we can mt bike. not interesting and a longer drive but there will be no one there. road biking should be OK, again, nobody gets close. maybe a close in hike too.

I was able …..TA DA! drum roll.... get my sisters new phone working:oops::pit was a little confusing because I had to talk her thru the process on her old phone, and then have her connect the new phone, and call back and forth a few times to leave messages and have her see how it worked. it went surprisingly OK. I'm sure there will be issues over time but her total panic at the new device mostly went away. yes, dragging her kicking and screaming into 1980! I purposely bought a phone set up similar to my panasonic so the phones themselves look much the same with same mostly features. I was not sure how functional her phone lines and jacks were, but we were able to connect the new system without messing up her old one. maybe I will go on to the cell phone but not for a while. I think I'd have to go to a store and play with her model cell so I could help, and that isn't likely for the next few months.

Last edited:
Today I did Rock’m Sock’m for 47 minutes and 360 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, that almond butter is delicious. I was also a doubter until I received my first gift jar.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

This morning I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong 4 mile power walk, 78 minutes, heart rate 128/173, 398 calories, 3.74 miles. I guess the miles you get would depend on your stride length. Jessica looks like she is tall. I got woke up by Gertie early this morning needing me to let her out. I tried to go back to sleep on the couch so I wouldn't disturb my husband, but by the time I let her in, I was pretty much wide awake. I really do not like doing the late night hours. I am an early morning and early to bed person.

Valerie, that is great that you were able to get your sister up and running with the new phone. Maybe there is hope for the cell phone eventually. Way to go! It seems I rarely see people at the store early on Saturdays. I guess many are off work and sleeping in. I still try to avoid them. That is so weird about beans. I have had kind of a desire for some black bean soup or something. I don't know why. I guess looking at all of these heart healthy recipes with beans made me hungry. The chickpea dish I made came from My Fitness Pal as I was reading about lowering cholesterol. They don't agree with me real well though and it is best if I soak and make them myself. I need to go back and look at that on the dog food. I know it was the components. I never buy the cheap grain free dog food. I read the ingredients lists. Gertie seems okay again today. I was worried when she came to get me out of bed, which does not happen often, and she was making noises when I was opening the door and she ran around the side of the house. She came back in bouncing around wanting to play and watched her for awhile before I fed her. So far still good. If I knew what components were missing in the grain free dog food maybe I could just add them to it.

Carolyn, I still have that ginger almond butter in my list on Amazon. Every time I look at it I am afraid I will want to eat too much of it at a time. That other Nutzo power butter was gone in a short time and it was a large jar.

I think the ingredient in question was taurine but I know only that one little bit. With no pets I never followed it that closely I think the grain free ones lacked it but that’s all I remember.
I am stunned I got thru the phone with her. I think she’s So sure she won’t understand, gives up without trying. I’m no genius on electronics and tech either but I keep at it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.