Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/29

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did Live Push Pull Total Body, 41 minutes, 185 calories.

Carolyn, nice job on Ice Metabolic. The larger stores here are doing the same, with the plexiglass shields etc, and marking the floor in the check out lines.

Valerie, I hope you are able to "walk" your sister through using the new phone. What kind of phone does she have now? I have to admit, I have kept my wall phone, ( the old style with the keypad in the handset). When mine died, I got another one on Ebay. It was used but works fine. I like the fact that I can sit at the table and make calls, hang up and dial another number etc. We have a portable set of 4 or 5 with the handsets all over the house, but they are hard to hold on your shoulder while writing or using a computer keyboard. P.S you posted on last week's thread, if you are trying to find it. :)

Judy, good job on those workouts! I am really enjoying the LIVe workouts. I was thinking of changing up and maybe doing a week of KCM. I would be using her DVD's.

Diane Sue, I understand how/why you would feel that way if you accidently bumped into someone in a store. I would want to rush out of there too! NYS is not suspending the annual requirement to have our cars inspected. My brother's dealership came to his house, picked up his car so they could inspect it, then delivered it back. All he did was call them, give them a credit card number and leave the keys in the car. No charge for pickup etc.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

good morning Deb. I had trouble getting to sleep last night so last post was still Saturday.

our phones have all controls on the handset too. sound quality is still much better on land lines. the poor sound quality on cell phones is why people keep calls short and text. my Panasonic phone is easy to hold on my shoulder while searching amazon or typing but the cell phone doesn't work. I have no idea why people bother making calls using speaker. has anyone ever understood even 10% of the words that get transmitted via car speaker? why bother.
I also don't like carrying the cell phone around at home. we have 4 phones scattered around and it audibly announces who's calling thru all of them. in a big house, much better. we use both cell and land line when each works best.
I'm not sure what phone sister has now. battery is not holding a charge. I sent her an old phone system of mine long ago or and she might have one from her daughter? was a 2 phone set. one phone is long gone and this supposedly doesn't have an answering machine. I don't trust her understanding. she gets caller ID names on her TV so a new phone will work OK. if I don't hear from her today I will call her. covid is spreading and she is probably not taking precautions even though I told her >a month ago what we could see coming since we had the nations first case 30 miles from here, we saw what happened inn China, and Trump and his minions are complete total idiots. I told her about TP, sanitizer, disinfectant because I knew she shops mainly at walgreens. she didn't do anything and now is out of things.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon. Today is a rest day for me. Deb, I have one of those trim line wall phones in my kitchen. Last summer my grandchildren wanted to know “what is that?” and “how does it work?”.

Cathe posted the first basic step instructional video on Facebook. Its looks good for anyone who wants to start at the beginning with the basic moves. It’s just 12 minutes long.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Last edited:
Our power kept running off and on this morning. No reason since the sun is out this morning. The first time I was wondering why my computer was shut down. Today is a rest day. I did Raw 5 day strength stretch which was 37 minutes.

Carolyn, we used to have a phone that hung on the wall and worked like a regular phone but was wood limited edition southwestern bell and had a dial and you had to take the ear piece to listen and talk into the mouth piece. My kids were so fascinated. My older daughter has it on her wall now. It is fun to see their reaction to old technology.

Deb, that is a good way to do inspections. I am surprised they couldn't put that on hold. I talked to my younger daughter this morning via phone and she is preparing to teach her students online. At least some business are able to come up with helpful ways to get some work in.

Valerie, I used to have my Dad call me on a land line and I used my landline because the audio was awful talking long distance on a cell phone and he had hearing issues.

My SIL calls often while she is driving and even with better technology now, just forget hearing much. it snaps, crackles, breaks up, and generally I cant understand much of what she says. plus sometimes the timing is off, so you end up talking over each other all the time. Carolyn, we had a princess phone hardwired in the bedroom that worked most of the time even if the power went out. not always. DH was on call a lot of nights and that phone was reliable when cordless ones would not work.

this is the Jamaican banana bread. I haven't made it in a few years but it is very tasty. its from Cooking Light in 1997. I love lime and its so nice with the banana. long list of ingredients but pretty simple to make.

Good morning,

Today I did Ripped /HiiT: Low Impact Hiit wk #2 31 minutes, 222 calories. This is one of my favorite non-treadmill cardio workouts. :)

Valerie, thanks for the recipe! agree 100% on the sound quality on cell phones, especially when people are leaving a message on an answering machine. I am the one that picks up the messages from the dog club's answering machine, and there are times when it sounds like people are using a cell phone, driving with the car window's open and I am supposed to hear the message! I hope the phone you had sent to her came with instructions, but that is rare now a days. Unfortunately, when we switched our land line phone service to Spectrum, we lost the ability to have a phone that stays on even when the power is lost.....ahhhh...the good old days!

Carolyn, LOL on the grandchildren not knowing what a wall phone is! :) I saw the tutorial that Cathe did for step.....I hope she continues it, getting more advanced as she goes along. I may jump in there when she gets to where I am no longer comfortable doing her step workouts.

Diane Sue, sorry about your power...any way you can find out what is causing it? Maybe a daughter can look up on the net etc for your area? Great that your daughter is able to do online teaching!

Hi to Lori & Judy

Stay safe!

Had not gotten call back from sister so I called yesterday and told her to open phone up,put batteries in and charge it overnight. So she called back in an hour saying you need to be a doctoral candidate to figure it out , that “it was impossible and the user guide was 62 pages long. I didn’t call back because I was by then making dinner. The usual guide... lots she’ll never use and troubleshooting to use if/when you need it. Hopefully she got it charged.

this bread is good but it’s closer to dessert than a bread.
Going to shop this morning. Can’t wait! What an exciting birthday event .

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. That was 25 minutes and 197 calories burned. Average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 158. Then I did JS Gentle Yoga, hips and knees practice. That was an additional 22 minutes and 32 calories burned.

My daughter just ordered a Jump Sport for her kids. They really enjoy mine and she is desperate to add activities to this forced home time.

Deb, great job with RWH Low Impact HiiT.

Valerie, thanks for the link to that banana bread recipe. It looks good. I hope that your sister will try to use the phone that you sent her. I can’t imagine how she manages basic life activities.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori. Stay healthy everyone.

done shopping and unloading. so hard to do this stay at home crap.

Carolyn it's a good bread. plain banana is not my favorite, but the lime and coconut play nicely off the banana flavor. I use a longer narrower pan for sweet breads. I get more smaller slices and easier to be sure its baked thru in the middle.

I hope she will use it too. these things are not that hard. you have to feel a little dumb for a while until you get used to the new pathway, but it works itself out quickly. I will explain it's like a phone book. lots of pages but only a few things you really need. she knows what a phone book is, so maybe the metaphor will work.

too funny about the wall phone!

Today I did a new Raw workout, Cardio Overload 2, 36 minutes, 217 calories, 3,026 steps, heart rate went off for a spike of 208. I watched as it started to go down and then blanked out and came back to normal after I shifted my watch up and tightened it a bit. The reading came out to 137 average/ 208 max. It really stayed between the 137 and 145 most of the workout and a few times up to 52. I loved this workout. I will be using it quite a bit. I wore my 8# vest. Kelly says she uses a 6# and you do not have to have one. Mine are 4 and 8 so I went with the higher weight. This has more off the step than on and she says you do not need a step. It would be easy to do without the step. You get a lot of waistline work in this. I also did Raw Boxing and Drills 30 minutes, 159 calories, heart rate 127/153, 2,509 steps. I wore my 8# vest for this one as well.
Total time was 66 minutes, 376 calories, 5,535 steps.

Deb, I found that problem when we went with the U verse from AT&T for our land line. We had an outage for several days and I was stranded without the land line. I had no clue till the box that is like a battery back up pack in the garage ran down. My neighbor called my cell phone and I new it was their land line. That is when it clicked as to why my phone was useless. When we moved I refused the Uverse set up. That was just pointless for a back up phone. I saw online later that other people on the Next door neighbor site were wondering what was causing all of the power outages. I still don't know. Generally I keep my cell phone charged and can go on the internet using my wifi and do an outage check for my area. Internet, if it is them I get them to text me when it is fixed.

Valerie, that banana bread looks like it would be really good. I am going to print off the recipe. I like lime juice too. I make a tuna steak recipe that has pepper and lime with bok Choy seared. It is so good. Do you use rum flavoring? I miss being able to just run around the corner to whatever store I would like to pick up a couple of things that I need. I also worry every time I am running low on something if I will be able to get more. My younger daughter told me today she can't find any meat. The problem is she orders pick up at Walmart all of the time. Has done that to save time with coming home from teaching school and picking up her children. I told her Walmart and picking up doesn't work. You get whatever people have not went inside and took off of the shelves. She asked me if I thought it was safe to use a turkey that had a sell by 2018 on the label. I think she got it at the end of the year, but I told her if there is a chance it has been thawed for moving or cleaning out the freezer she might not want to take the chance. I have read some places say it is okay if kept uninterrupted frozen. Besides things that sit in the freezer that long are usually not tasting that good. I suggested she try some other store than Walmart. She doesn't want to take that many chances taking the children out.

Carolyn, my grandson loves to jump on my rebounder while he watches television in my workout room. They bought him a kids rebounder and then this last summer my daughter brought him a trampoline. It is great for using some of that pent up energy.

Did Ice boot camp . I guess I don't like this one. I did it, and the ab workout but I don't like the step parts much, and I don't like the general sequence of bootcamp workouts. don't hate it, but don't like it either. feels too jerky and interrupted.

so my washing machine died today, so tomorrow we will go get a new one. hopefully we can pick it up or get it delivered ASAP. my old one is about 30 yrs old and the dryer even older so replacing both. the timer mechanism broke and it stops before the spin cycle. we tricked it into finishing but not draining the water will NOT work.

spent time with my sister trying to get the batteries put into the phone. always unexpected issues with her. she got the batteries in and then could not get the back piece to click bak into place. finally got it!.

diane use I use rum extract, like vanilla or almond extract. I use maybe 1/4 tsp of it plus water to equal the volume of the rum it asked for. I never have actual rum around.

ETA Carolyn one of my birthday presents is a jar of big spoon almond butter with ginger. I put it on the wish list months ago and wasn't sure if DH picked up on it. he did. it sounds like it would be great on an apple half or toast. How did you use it?

Last edited:
This morning I did part of Low Impact Circuit. The full workout is 75 minutes and I didn’t want to do that much step. I skipped step combo 3 and the abs. My time was 52 minutes with 316 calories burned. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 148. I really like the step combos and the music in this workout.

Valerie, I considered ICE Bootcamp and decided against it. Good luck with the washer and dryer shopping. We did that six months ago. Oh, I just saw your edit about the Big Spoon Roasters almond butter! I’m so glad that you got it. I eat it on toast or apple slices as you mentioned.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Cardio Overload and Raw Boxing and Drills. My grandchildren are really looking forward to the JumpSport. It should arrive later this week.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Raw Box and Pump 2 using Kelly's weights 15 and 8 lb dumbbells, 40 minutes, heart rate 103/140, 153 calories, 3,038 steps. I also did Step Boss Abs 2, heart rate 92/114, 10 minutes, 19 calories and Step Boss Chair stretch, which was 19 calories. It took forever to get to a workout. Gertie vomited all over the carpet in the workout room this morning and I ran her outside and cleaned up and started to workout and she started vomiting again. Then down the stairs and I finally got her outside. So lots of cleaning before I was able to go back to the workout. I gave her some stuff that I usually use when she is like this to help settle her tummy. This evening I gave her a little rice. Hopefully we are done with that.
Going with husband late again to get some groceries.

Carolyn, nice work on that workout. It is a long one when doing the whole thing.

Valerie, you have had your appliances for a really long time. My washing machine has gotten really loud when it spins. It sounds like something is going to come flying out of it one of these day. It is about 7 years old. It used to be so quiet that my husband often made comment that you could hardly tell it was running and it is in the cabinet/closet in the kitchen. I like bootcamp workouts. I guess they are kind of choppy as they do not flow smoothly from one thing to the next.

I did stacked upper body before dinner late afternoon.
We ordered a washer /dryer from appliance store this afternoon. Loaded our dead washer ad dryer in our truck and will drop them off and pick up new ones probably Thursday. This was a “ no contact” sale. no delivery we can install it ourselves. Asked questions over phone and I knew what I wAnted. So didn’t need to look at it first. Trying Samsung this time. Not a fancy machine but a good sized top loader So I can do comforters easily. No front loader.
Every time I do a boot camp workout I dislike it. Don’t like switching focus around like that. I can never get a rhythm going.

Yesterday I did Cathe Live Smokin' Lower Body and today I did Live Awesome Upper Body and 10 minutes of core work.

Deb-I'm really enjoying the Live workouts too. Great job with Push Pull Live and the RWH workout!

Valerie-I'm not a big fan of boot camp workouts either. I feel the same, I can't really get a rhythm going with them. That's good that you ordered a new washer/dryer.

Carolyn-I bet your grandchildren are looking forward to the JumpSport! Great workouts so far this week!

Diane Sue-I've been previewing the Raw strength workouts and have a rotation set up for next week. If it goes well, I might do it for 2 weeks.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Upper Body w/HIIT 42 minutes, 294 calories, Today I did an iTread treadmill workout, 35 minutes, 262 calories.

Carolyn, great job on LIS workout......and a good idea for a jump sport for your grandchildren!

Valerie, I hope you get the phone for your sister set up. I feel like you on bootcamp workouts in general. Never have liked the format. Did you get the washer and dryer yet? I am sort of surprised that an appliance store would be considered essential. Of course, I have am not convinced that a liquor store is essential, but I guess in New York they are for some reason. :rolleyes:

Diane Sue, great job on the KCM Raw cardio workout. I would never think to wear a vest for a cardio workout. The only one I have is 20 pounds! I had never heard of a Uverse set up? What does that do? Yes, I don't think I would have your daughter use that turkey either.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Stay safe.

I think appliance stores hardware stores are essential. Imagine your fridge fails or like us the washer dies how long could you wait? Even something that needs a replacement part? Like the toilet? More later

This morning I did JS HiiT Walk from her 5 Day Fat Burn. I didn’t feel very motivated this morning, but I did something anyway. The workout was 30 minutes and 208 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 149. I participated in my WW Virtual Workshop via Zoom this morning. It’s a good alternative to have at this time.

Deb, great job with Live Upper Body w/HiiT and the iTread workouts. I can see why appliance stores are considered essential businesses, but it is surprising that liquor stores fall in that category.

Valerie, that’s great that you were able to get a washer and dryer ordered. I don’t mind the Bootcamp workouts like ICE and Strong and Sweaty, but I don‘t like those with a lot of running around.

Diane Sue, I hope you were able to get your late night grocery shopping done.

Judy, great job with the Live Lower and Upper body workouts.

Waving hello to Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

we skied today but it wasn't very nice. we went for an hour and bagged it, so an hour and a half total. new fresh snow but sicky and gloppy sticking to bottom of the skis. sometimes I am ready to give up this activity.

we got the washer and dryer and installed them. all looks OK but I need to read the manual tonight before running anything. wow, you can go nuts with laundry appliances. elaborate expensive machines. I went fairly simple. our old washer was bought in 1995. so only 25 yrs old. I'm happy it lasted thru all the front loader fever since I never wanted one. got a top loader.

bootcamp workouts seem sort of disjointed, especially if they use the step, weights, and a mat. takes up all my open area, and they don't "flow" for me. I like other kinds better.

it all depends on your situation and location as to what's "essential", not the same for everyone. if liquor stores are the only place in your state to buy beer, wine and hard liquor, then I'd call them essential. different states have some widely varying laws. we had only state liquor stores here until about 15 yrs ago when it was opened up to other retail outlets. now you can buy what you want at the grocery or pharmacy. not the same level of importance as grocery stores but more important than hair/ nail salons where the separation would be a problem besides. . car dealers ..if you have a mechanical failure, there aren't many places to get a car fixed these days except for dealers. cars break down or crash, and you might need servicing to have a functional vehicle so you can get to medical appts or groceries. .

Caroline, Zoom is a videoconferencing app? how does that work? do you need a camera on your computer?

We went to the all night grocery store last night. It was 2 am and it seems a lot of other people realized they are open and stocked well. It was not real crowded, but there were people on almost every aisle. I slept in some, but not enough. Tired now. Today I did Step Boss I Max 4, 47 minutes, heart rate 101/141, 205 calories, 4,083 steps. I then did Jessica Smith Walk Strong Boost Your Metabolism lower focus, 34 minutes, 83 calories, heart rate 101/132, 273 steps. Total time 81 minutes, 288 calories, 4,356 steps. Gertie is still not feeling well. She is still drinking water and begging for food. I thought she was better as we gave her a small amount of food last night because my husband felt sorry for her because I only gave her a little rice. We got to this morning without her being sick and I fed her then she got sick again this afternoon. She ate grass this time. Hoping to get this under control. This is not a good time to need to go to the vet.

Valerie, having a large enough washer is always important so comforters and things can be washed. I am glad you were able to get what you wanted. I do see a necessity for hardware stores to be open and places like Home Depot. The liquor stores would complain here because the grocery stores were still able to sell liquor. All in all there is no necessity for it for life.

Judy, I was just thinking of maybe doing a rotation doing the 5 day strength alternating weeks with Build and Burn. My problem is that something new comes up and I want to try it immediately and it messes up my rotation. I have several different weight workouts from Raw laid out that I want to do and I keep thinking I have not done the Step Boss PHA workout very much. Lots of decisions.

Carolyn, nice work when you were not feeling motivated. That is great that you were able to still do your WW workshop.

Deb, U-verse was an AT&T set up that you got packaged up with your dvr, internet, phone and cable. For some reason it was backed up to a back up battery pack that they put out in the garage. I never thought much about it and they had shown me a button to push when I needed to get it back up when power was back on. It kept my phone up and running for several hours and then went dead. After that I went and bought the biggest battery back up I could find, made sure there was fuel for the generator, and stocked up on every kind of battery, purchased extra bright battery operated lights. Of course I never had that long of a problem again. But, the misery of being isolated without power or phone for a couple of days was not good. I don't think that set up lasted too long with AT&T. In our last home they were offering to set up something similar and the first thing I brought up to the repair guy was would I have to have a back up battery. He said he could do it without the back up. So we did it that way. We don't use AT&T for our internet anymore. We always had problems with them.
I have two weight vests I purchased more recently that are so much more comfortable and easy to wear than the Cathe one. I have the 20# Cathe one with the removable weights. It is uncomfortable and tends to roll back over my shoulders with the clasp up under my neck. No way would I jump around with that on even if I took it off and wore it without the added weight packs which left it around 12#. I use a 4# or 8 # vest that has two clasps, one on each side of the waist. Kelly just filmed another Raw workout that uses a weighted vest and is focused on lower body. She will put it up soon. That is what one of her latest dvds uses the weighted vest. She sometimes mentions that you can use one for other workouts she is doing without one. It ups the intensity with the ones where she uses light dumbbells and the weighted vest. Good way to intensify without the impact.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.