Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/11

Valerie, I know farmers do notbappreciate deer in their fields. Theybare beautiful animals rhough and I enjoy watching them.

Deb, I think the soy is just the protein kind bars that have soy protein isolate in them. I am enjoying doing the Ripped with Hiit workouts. I started out wanting to see if the leg dvd that had a broken spot in the center would still play. It plays fine. It is a small chip on the hole in the center. As long as it isnt put back on one of those spindles in the case it should be fine.

We have a pile of things depending on what activity we're doing, season, expected weather. we don't take everything every time. it's faster and easier carrying less. we take more things than most people do, especially inexperienced kids. they think they're invulnerable. they think their cell phone will get them out of everything. You can quickly get into "no coverage" areas. I equipment is much lighter and more versatile than it used to be. what we always think of is, if things go south for whatever reason, will we be OK for a night? IMO th worst people, outside of teens, are trail runners. they cover a lot of mileage but carry almost nothing. I guess they assume someone else will come along and help them if they have a problem.

Deb you are so right....... window seats are rough to get out of. they don't want people standing around blocking the aisle while they run the beverage cart. I really feel for tall or big people who can barely wedge themselves in. diane sue the bulkhead row is better but you lose under seat storage, and if the plane is different configuration than the on line diagram, you may not get the space you expected. I have gotten absolutely hate air travel.

Deb, I saw the bird with binoculars very well. I have a birding app on my phone. enter the state you're in, match bird to picture and description. the pics are very clear and detailed. Partridge was easy to ID. I also learned MT does not have any quail, a surprise. the app is contained in the phone so it works even if you are without cell service. it has a info, migration maps, and plays bird calls. I've had it for years and use it all the time. I use the David Alan Sibley app. I think it was $20 or so. paper field guides are heavy. I always have the phone . the birds you might see vary around the country and the season.
Lori, Kind bars are good. I save them for endurance activities where I'm doing something for 2 hours or more. I like them much better than "granola" bars. to me any bar that says "Protein" on the label will taste weird. it might be soy added, I don't know. I have tossed every one after one bite.

Today I did FT Legs and Core timesaver premix for 30 minutes and 90 calories burned. Average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate 147. I wanted to get in the leg workout since I skipped it yesterday. After that I did RWH Low Impact HiiT Two which was also 30 minutes. Calories burned 200, average heart rate 127 and maximum heart rate 153.

Deb, I think I have adjusted to the time change now. As someone mentioned, it’s like traveling to a different time zone. I am also very conscious of the hourly movement and I try to reach that goal on my Fitbit.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that your scale is working right again. I had wondered if changing the battery would help. I read about oxalates in spinach and other foods several years ago. I try to eat a variety of greens prepared in different ways. I love my large salad for lunch, but I rarely have a salad for dinner.

Valerie, I feel the same about nutrition bars. I keep them for times when I can’t get other foods. I like the two that Diane Sue mentioned, Bulletproof and RX Bars.

Waving hello to Lori, Judy, and Janet. Have a good day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Drill Max. That was my first time for doing it. I had to modify a few movements, but over all I really enjoyed it. It was a fun and I liked the music too.

Deb-I was going to do the Live cycle from last week but I got side tracked by other workouts :) I've been having more trouble sleeping this week too. I think it's from the time change.

Diane Sue-That is creepy about the people sitting in their cars just to watch children :( I've never tried Nasalcrom. My ENT gave me a prescription for Azelastine nasal spray. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to soon.

Lori-I am also having more trouble with adjusting to the time change this year. I honestly don't remember feeling it this much before and I don't know why it's different this year.

Carolyn-Great workouts today!

Valerie-that is too bad about the trailhead vandalism out there. There is a township not far from here that is notorious for meth users and there is all kinds of property crime there. It's really a shame as it could be nice area, lots of lakes and trails there.

Hi to Janet!

Judy

I used Nasalcrom twice yesterday and I hate it!! I was exhausted, felt weird, nose got stuffy :eek: and I could not sleep last night. I finally left bed at 3 am so as not to disturb my husband because he has a long day at work today. I was still sneezing and coughing this morning. I had planned on a Hiit workout with the weights today, but wasn't feeling it. I did Ripped with Hiit Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps, 43 minutes, 203 calories, average heart rate 107, max 148, met 4.6, 1018 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey's Trim Down, Kelly's favorite 20 minutes mix ,23 minutes as I wrote things down, heart rate average 118, max 164, 138 calories, 939 steps, met 5.4. I was wanting to see what was on this one, because it is not listed on Kelly's site for premixes etc.. I know I did this one soon after knee surgery because it got my heart rate up without jumping and a lot of lower work. I think one of the two 30 minute workouts was very low on lower body moves. I then did Ripped with Hiit abs #1, 10 minutes, 45 calories, 201 steps. Total time was 66 minutes, calories burned 341.
weights
flat bench press 20# dbs, 12 reps 3 sets finisher push ups 15 reps
incline bench press 20# dbs 3 sets 12 reps finisher triceps push ups 15 reps
incline fly 17.5# dbs, 3 sets 12 reps finisher decline push ups 16 reps
super set; BB overhead press/ upright row 35# x 3 sets 10/10 reps finisher scarecrows 5# dbs 20 reps
super set: lateral raise/front raise 10#dbs/15# 3 sets 10 /10 reps finisher 3xternal rotation lateral raise 8# dbs 15 reps
overhead triceps extensions 30# db , 3 sets, 12 reps, finisher dips 20/20 reps
barbell lying extensions 35# , 3 sets, 12 reps finisher kickbacks 10# dbs
Kelly's favorite mix 1 min each move followed by 1 min boxing
spiderman squats 5# dbs, boxing
rainbow squat 12# db, boxing
Romanian deadlift high pull 10# dbs, boxing
plank/knee in/row 10# dbs , boxing
squat/curl/press 10# dbs, boxing

Valerie, I have heard enough times of people being stranded somewhere without necessities. I imagine the runners don't want to carry much with them while they run. I can pretty much look at a protein bars ingredients and tell if it is going to taste bad. Most of those bars are mealy and nasty. I do like the ones with lots of nuts though. I like the Primal Kitchen collagen protein bar with cashews. The almond one tastes like stale nuts to me. The diet sweetener ones are awful like Quest bars. I though I used to like them, but tastes change I guess and most have sugar alcohols in them. Bullet Proof bars are really good.

Carolyn, I think for the most part I eat a lot of variety in greens. I think there may have been more to the lady that I read about and her health issues to begin with. The main thing is avoiding too many oxalates. Walnuts were mentioned on the article I read about Oxalates and things that stop the break down of minerals. This article was from Precision Nutrition. I eat a lot of walnuts and also use walnut oil in my mayonnaise and salad dressings. I am going to try a coconut oil and olive oil mix mayonnaise recipe I found. RX and Bullet proof are like treats :)

Judy, I do not like the swinging the stability ball overhead leg swing movement that seems to go on for a long time. Otherwise, I like that workout. I have some of the Azelastine HCI. It did not work for me. Maybe it will for you though.

I think there may be different bands available by geography. I've never seen bulletproof or rx here. I will try new things but the texture and taste of every one that was " protein" did not work for me, even brands where I like their regular bars. I don't eat them enough to matter, it's not a basic food group.

we did a lot of shopping today since the weather was poor. tomorrow will be better, and then we are heading home.

trail runners and teen agers are the worst. they think nothing bad can happen. a few die every year for just stupid negligence and being unprepared. most of the time there is no cell signal on the road to the trail, and of course not once on the trail. best to have a few necessities along with you.

Judy like most places drugs are an issue here. trailheads are an easy mark. we have not had a break in ourselves lately, our camper was 1.5 yrs ago, but have had a few over the years although we never leave anything of value in there. still, the little tweakers break in to give it a try. people who ride the bike trail alone, take their bikes into the bathroom with them! DJH and I alternate and never leave the bikes outside unwatched. did not used to be this way.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, another bad night of sleep, plus I had to get my car in early for the inspection.

Diane Sue, great that the RWH DVD you had is still playable. Keegan has been on a low oxalate diet, ( why I cook their food and don't buy commercial) because of his bladder stones/surgery. They were calcium oxalate stones.

Valerie, you are so smart to have those things with you. Yes, some people think that as long as they have a phone, they are okay. I am with you....hate air travel too. Did enough while working to last me. Not as much as some of my co-workers though....and they got burned out. That app sounds great. My grandparents were avid birdwatchers, but had nothing but their Peterson Bird Guide! :).

Carolyn, when I get to the FT workouts in my rotation, I have to remember those timesavers!

Judy, Good job on Drill Max. Not sure if I had/kept that one. I may have sold it. I use that nasal spray sometimes for sinus headaches. I am not sure it works though.

Lori, hope you are not getting any more snow!

Any plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Deb we used the Peterson guide for years. still have it around. Sibley has a similar but improved book. I bought the android app years ago for a phone. phone is lighter and I would have it with me anyway. book was one less heavy thing to carry.
Gradually features have been added to the phone app making it easier to use. I love that it plays songs and calls, and that it narrows the possibilities by location. Still for a beginning bird watcher , the book is easiest. I'm not an expert but reasonably competent, sometimes I still go to the book.

I flew a lot for work to the point where I avoid it now as much as possible. sometimes I was flying several days a week. over with that!

I have drill max too Judy, but have not used it in ages. I bought disks, did them a few times and moved on. dvds always take second place for me after outdoor activities.
Everything that can get stolen will get stolen. Bike racks, plus the bikes, are expensive and big theft targets. we lock bikes to the rack and lock the rack to the vehicle. I think most racks now include locking as a standard feature we got a newer hitch ( Thule) mounted rack with "cradles" and are pleased with how well it works. mt bikes especially are easier to load. they are heavier and with the dropped top tube , did not fit on most other racks. Our old trunk mount rack gradually put a huge dent into the tailgate of the Outback. we didn't have a hitch on that car, and by the time we realized it was being dented, the damage was done.

We are staying here today but heading back tomorrow morning . going to walk a few miles in the neighborhood today, for our workout. next trip we will bring mt bikes and ride the same thing. roads are gravel and mud, not OK for road biking. lots of wildlife areas and a big lake nearby. things look dfferent on foot versus in a car or a bike.

Last edited:
Today I did a mix of workouts. I really did well with it and my allergies have settled down. I need to go outside and do some work though and have been avoiding it. The weather is beautiful today. Workout was all premixes. Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit #1 mix 7 scrambled, 29 minutes, average heart rate 126, max 155, met 6.0 , 192 calories, 2,210 steps. I then did Ripped with Hiit Lower Body Circuit blasts only mix #3 28 minutes, 201 calories, heart rate average 134, max 163, 1,995 steps, modifying some of the step jumps, finished with Fit Tower Boot camp mish mosh #1 , cardio leg blast skipped the warm up, 26 minutes 158 calories, met 5.5. I was unable to get the steps for this because I forgot to start the Fit Bit so had to go off of Map my Fitness. Total time was 83 minutes, calories burned 551, 5,288 steps total this morning. I did miss some steps going up and down the stairs to get my Fit Bit which I left in the charger.

Valerie, they are adding more Bullet Proof Stuff here. I saw they had some of the Bullet Proof Cold brew coffee with collagen protein in it at a high price of 4.99 a drink. It would be nice as a take along though. I will wait for a sale to try it. Right now the bars are on sale and I picked up two yesterday. Apps can be really handy and enjoyable at times :) Nice that you have one for bird watching.

Deb, I was a bit surprised at some of the foods that could be a problem. I only had in mind that it was certain vegetables. I am careful of the broth I use for Gertie since many have vegetables and spices like garlic and onion added. When I cook roasts I will leave out seasoning and strain and save the broth for her food. Otherwise I have to read labels carefully.

Today I did Fit Tower Bootcamp for 51 minutes and 174 calories burned. My average heart rate was 101 and maximum heart rate was 146.

Deb, the timesaver premix worked well since I was planning to do a second workout. That was my first time doing the short version and I think it was very effective.

Judy, I enjoyed Drill Max when I did it a few weeks back. It’s a fun workout and the ball adds a different touch.

Valerie, the RX Bars list the ingredients on the front in large font, which I like. One flavor lists “3 egg whites, 4 almonds, 6 cashews, and 2 dates”. Very basic whole food bar. They seem to be pretty easy to find in most of the grocery stores.

Diane Sue, that sounds like a good mix of workouts. I like all three. I’ve noticed that Sprouts has a variety of Bulletproof items lately but they are pricey.

Hello to Lori and Janet.

Carolyn, sometimes I find the time savers and shorter versions of workouts can be even more intense than the original whole workout. I was unable to get the exact heart rate for the Fit Tower Bootcamp workout today. I forgot to turn on the Fit Bit and I had the bluetooth off on my tablet that was running Map My Fitness. Before when this happened I had bluetooth on on both devices and the Fit Bit picked up the workout with MMF running. I had to use a previous use of that premix along with the calories from MMF and the workout manager Met values to come up with what I felt was close. Map My Fitness was 208 and I knew that was too high. I think the Boot camp cardio leg mix is the bulk of the higher activity in that workout. I do like the the RX bars are just limited healthy ingredients. I kind of liked the blasts only without the weights on the lower circuit today since I have not done that premix.

I have not seen either rx or bulletproof. sometimes things don't show up nationally all at once. I do not have an option for Sprouts, or Whole foods. nothing like that near by here. that could change quickly though. even TJ's is a nasty drive. haven't been there in years. I'm a big fan of whole grains, nuts, seeds and some sweetness, not excessive.

we did a walk/hike this morning. 2.5 hours. walked from our house up into a wildlife area closed to vehicles half the year. we start at 5300 feet and went up from there. it was a decent workout not excessive. we didn't take anything with us except hat and gloves. it was up a road. we will ride our bikes up next time we are here. there are trails off the road but still too snowy.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the bonus Total Body premix from the Pyramid workout DVD. 58 minutes, 284 calories. I think this is my favorite Cathe total body workout.

Valerie, that app sounds great. I agree, no need to carry a book around with you, when you already have the phone, and it has so many features, like hearing the sound of the bird. What is the closest town near your new house? Have a safe trip back.

Diane Sue, glad to hear your allergies have settled down. I used some of my Healthy Rewards card that I was given from my health insurance company to buy some bone broth protein powder. It's called Ancient Nutrition. It is actually a brand sold on the Dr Axe site. I got the banana flavor. I can still taste that "protein broth" flavor a little, but the banana kind of masks it a bit. I wish I would have gotten the vanilla. I may go back for that one, not sure yet. I can get anything that has the words "Supplemental Facts" on the label, plus protein powder and herbal teas. I could also have gotten a membership to a gym, or workout studio, one right near my house which sounded better, but not sure I would ever use it. I forgot to look for RX or Bulletproof bars there.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I also did the Pyramid Total Body premix. I had forgotten how much I like the Pyramid workouts.

Deb-I think that it's one of my favorite Cathe total body workouts too.

Valerie-I always took my bike into the restroom with me when I was riding the bike path in Iowa. The path in Davenport had a bad reputation. I didn't mind riding on it alone, but I wouldn't run there alone. I never really had any problems but I also rode when it was the busiest and lots of other people were out too.

Lori-I forgot to mention that I finally ordered the SanDisk iXpand flash drive. I love it! It's so much easier to transfer files from my computer to the iPad now. Thanks for recommending it!

Diane Sue-I'm glad your allergies have settled down.

Carolyn-Thanks for mentioning the FT timesaver premixes. I think I will start with those and maybe add one to another workout.

Have a great day!

Judy

Today I did RWH HiiT Circuit Upper Body which was 51 minutes and 271 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, I agree that some of he premixes are more intense than the main workout. I found that out with Low Impact Challenge from the Low Impact Series. Cardio Core Circuit is another one where I prefer the full workout to the timesaver premix.

Deb, that’s wonderful that you were able to use your health rewards to purchase the bone broth. I need to look at my plan again to make sure that I am not missing any additional benefits.

Judy, great workout. It looks like you and Deb did the same one. Timesaver premixes help to keep the workouts accessible for me. I use to think that I had to do the full workout every time or not attempt it at all. That’s not my mindset these days.

Lori, I hope that work is finally slowing down for you today.

Valerie, have a good trip home.

Deb we are not in a town. the closest ones are Emigrant and Pray, MT. We are about halfway home it is a long drive but not that busy until we get to western wa. Not spring travel season yet. And winter sports are fading fast but saw a lot of disgusting snowmobiles on the road, and lots of downhill skiers since it was a sunny saturday. .

No workout just sitting and driving..... reading mostly... and some podcasts

Judy the bathrooms on our trail are very small I have seen bikes go inside, though. Some sections have only port potties so I assume people lean the bike against the side and hurry??

Last edited:
It has been a busy day and I am headed out to my daughter's in a bit for a jewelry party. I did Build and Burn Cardio Core, 27 minutes, 179 calories, heart rate average 129, max 170. I then did Build and Burn Trim and Tone Intervals , 25 minutes, heart rate average 138, max 174, 158 calories. I also did Fit Split abs, 13 minutes, 57 calories and finished off with Barre Amped lower body stretch 19 minutes, 42 calories. Total time was 84 minutes and calories burned 436.

Lori, what kind of project are you starting?

Valerie, they keep opening up new businesses and store here and building and tearing down. They just tore down the Beauty Brands I usually go to and had a temp location. They opened up a new one and I have not been that direction to look. Costco is supposed to be coming in not too far away. We had an influx of grocers go in, Sprouts, Natural Grocers, Whole Foods and another one that I have not went to and is a two story building that is supposed to carry all of the organic and healthier stuff, but also carry the other stuff. I cannot go to Sprouts and pick up my husband doctor pepper or his favorite junk food or cereal like honey nut cheerios. He teases me and calls it the sticks and twigs store because that is what it looks like I am eating :)

Deb, I have tried the chocolate bone broth protein from Ancient Nutrition (Dr Axe) but really like the vanilla so much better. I had a packet of the vanilla yesterday mixed in my yogurt with extra dark chocolate chips and walnuts. I see Dr Axe is now marketing bone broth protein bars. They cost as much as the Bullet Proof bars do. For me sometimes it is worth it as I go for hours without eating. That is nice that you get the healthy rewards. I should probably look over the extras that I get with my CVS card that I got with my part d prescription plan (Silver Script)

Carolyn, I eyed RWH upper circuit this morning, but my chest and front shoulders were still sore and I just decided to choose something lighter weight for the upper today. Sometimes how I feel changes what I do.

I have to run, I am picking up my daughter in law on the way to my daughter's.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.