Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/11

Today I did Fit Split mixed impact timesaver #1 cardio only, no modifiers this time which brought my calorie burn up a bit, 208 calories, met 6.5, heart rate average 138, max 180, 2,745 steps, 29 minutes. I then did Ripped With Hiit, Back, shoulders, biceps, 59 minutes, 293 calories, met 4.5, heart rate average 105, max 140, 1,541 steps. Total time was 88 minutes, calories burned 501.
weights
one arm row 31.5# x 12 reps 3 sets
finisher barbell row 35# x 20 reps medium band power pulls
pull overs 35# dumbbell x 12 reps 3 sets
finisher barbell row 35# x 20 reps supine band pulls
one arm angled row 30# x 12 reps 3 sets
finisher one arm seated band pulls medium 20 reps
rear delt flys 15# dumbbells 12 reps 3 sets
finisher one arm band pulls medium
prone rear delts 8# dumbbells 12 reps 3 sets
finisher seated t pulls
biceps curls barbell 40# x 12 reps 1 set 35# x 12 reps 2 sets
finisher w curls 10# dumbbells 20 reps
concentration curls 22.5# dumbbell 12 reps 1 set, 20# dumbbell 10 reps 2 sets
finisher barbell crazy 8's 25# 24 reps
simultaneous hammer curls 15# dumbbells 12 reps 3 sets
finisher barbell crazy 8's 24 reps

Judy, I keep thinking I need to find more ways to spend my day active, but then I really do not want to ;)

Deb, I realized yesterday after I came home from my Walmart load of stuff that I had been looking at my car clock and thought that it was earlier than it was. I was so hungry and it was 3 oclock. I had eaten nothing yet. I devoured a couple of Kind protein bars. I know the Fit Bit is not supposed to record during naps. I did have it record one time, but I had fell asleep in the afternoon and just crashed for 90 minutes. I was confused when I saw two different readings for the same day on my Fit Bit because it was unexpected. Mind totally does not work sometimes at night and I just figure they have done some upgrade tweaking and are going to have to fix it. Usually it starts working after a night or two. Once it did it for several days and there were all kinds of complaints till they finally got it fixed. I don't think it is how you lay or how it is placed on the wrist.

Lori, you are really getting a lot of snow.

Today I did RWH Plyo HiiT One for 29 minutes and 200 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Deb, yes I am enjoying the Fit Tower workouts again. I did the rotation when they first came out but didn’t really go back to them after that. I am doing the FT/RWH/S and S rotation. This gives me some variety in my workouts.

I am definitely less active since I retired. Like Deb, I was constantly walking around the office even though I had a desk job. These days I make a real effort to get in at least 10,000 steps daily and to move each hour. It’s easy to get caught up in a project and not get up to walk around for a while.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Lori I also hope you keep the power on. this is such a punishment so late in the season! somehow in Dec/January/Feb , you expect it. mid march seems way too late. You need to talk to the Weather Gods about this!

we did a snowshoe this morning, again at elevation. probably around 7500 feet. about 2.5 hours. so lovely out, animal tracks everywhere. I always carry a 25 lb pack and use poles so a decent calorie burn for sure. we did some other shorter jaunts but that was the main thing. lovely weather so far, 17 at night 55 during the day. tomorrow will be nice again, and then it gets a little messy. this is really our first vacation time here and its very nice. we will have fun here.

Deb, potential DVT is why people are warned about wearing tight restrictive clothing when they are traveling when they are just sitting for hours. just sitting and a tight band can cause problems, especially lower legs. even leg crossing can be an issue. . I was pedaling like crazy but the strap dug in and reduced blood flow in that spot. I am ridiculously careful now. I do NOT want another round of Coumadin therapy. we need to set the clock parked somewhere without movement or distractions or else you keep hitting the toggle wrong and have to start over.

Good afternoon ladies!

Omg we have so much snow. GiGi and I played ball in the yard but we kept having to dig for it. Thank goodness it is bright orange. We had fun losing it. :). I had to get the roof rake out and get the snow off our shed while the boys were dealing with the driveway. It is still coming down and we easily have 18 inches. Maybe more. So far we have not lost power. So many people have.

I did workout this morning. I did not care for the upper body selected in the SB rotation so I did JS Arms. Wow it has been a while. I started off with 8’s but had to drop to 6.5 for the first exercise. Doing the fast past shoulder presses was not going to do my shoulder good. I was able to do the rest with 8’s so I was happy about that. I then did a Lekfit and BBS bounce. I used ankle weights and I am feeling it now! Total time was 77 mins / 588 cal.

Deb...as for my workouts I do the main one for whatever rotation I am doing then my add ons are what I feel like doing. Usually I decide in the morning while I am having coffee. I reviewed Pyramid and liked the workouts. Need to put them on my someday list!

Judy...I love using the FT for pullups. When my son and I were doing p90x he would use the FT and also liked it. When he was using the FT, I used my Jumpsport which is also great for pullups.

Valerie...I never liked the high step and did not buy any of the workouts. Nice with the xc skiing and snow shoeing. Both of thesenare hard work!!!

Diane Sue....I made up a premix using the mixed impact and pull workouts. It is intervals of cardio and weights. Going to try it out this weekend. Been ages since I have done a RWH workout. I think I mentioned I never clicked with this series. I will revisit to see if I still d]feel the same.

Janet...great you are still with the morning workouts. I love all the FT workouts!

Caroyln...that sounds like a great rotation and hard! Good for you.

Have a great night all!

It was a busy day of catch up cleaning and extras then to the store with daughter and hanging out together with the little ones. I got 11,,558 steps today and that was with doing the shorter cardio workout. Usually if I do at least an hour, I might have a chance at 10,000 steps.

Carolyn, I do have my watch remind me to get 250 steps an hour. Sometimes when it reminds me and I need an extra 60 or so , I get up and do something to get those steps in. Still, there are days when I get around 5,000 or 6,000. Nice workout today with Ripped with Plyo Hiit. That is a tough one.

Valerie, 55 is a good temperature for lots of physical activity. It seems it would not be uncomfortable at all. That is great that you are really enjoying yourself.

Lori, the last time I remember a fair amount of snow here was when we lived 100 miles north of here and Gertie was a pup. She loved plowing through the snow. It was like she was full of joy :) It has been sparse since then. Mostly ice with small amounts of snow. I think there has only been a couple of days of some icy roads this year. That circuit would probably be a good workout. I keep going back to Fit Split and am liking it a bit better than I did at first.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Pyramid Lower Body, the "Up Only" premix. 42 minutes, 175 calories. I actually did the end part with the floor work, however I followed Brenda who does it without the stability ball.

Diane Sue, those R/WHIIT strength workouts are great. I just bought 2 boxes of Kind bars too. My FitBit will record a nap, with the total time, just won't show the sleep stages etc. The info said that it has to be a certain amount of time for it to record REM etc. I have that same 250 steps per hour setting...same here...if I don't do a longer workout, then go to class or something where I am standing and moving around for an hour, I usually only get 5000-6000 steps.

Carolyn, good job on that Plyo workout. I have not taken those out at all. I assume anything "Plyo" will be way to frustrating to try to modify. Like you mentioned, and Diane Sue, I try to move each hour too, have my FitBit set to measure that I get at least 250 steps per hour for 10 hours. Believe me, it reminds me 10 minutes before the hour is up that I have xx number of steps to go. :).

Valerie, I can't imagine going that long with x-country skies with a 25 pound pack! That's awesome. I finally got the clock in my car changed, then was listening to the news yesterday while driving and saw that it is a minute slow....arrragh!!! My brother got a DVT after flying to Ireland. He was there a week, had leg pain the whole trip, then flew back and saw the doctor where they discovered he had the clot. They said it was probably from the trip. He has the same syndrome that I have.

Lori, good that you have not lost power...I hope that stays for you. I read that there is more snow on its way for the eastern seaboard. :(.

Judy, how is the snow where you are? It seems to be bypassing us for the most part.

Take care,

Deb, I dont spend a lot of time worrying about too few steps since I do workout. But, it is nice to see when I get a lot of steps or see whoch workouts get a lot of steps in. I always do the end part with the stability ball. I used to use just the end part as an add on to other workouts. :) The up only mix is a good one. The full lower body workout can seem rather long and hard to keep the weights higher. If I wantbto push heavier the up is my choice. I had a bit of stomach problems with the kind protein bars I got. Maybe I shouldnt have eaten more than one at the start though. I probably wont buy that one again as it had soy protein and I generally avoid soy products.

deb it might now weigh 25 lbs (+/- 5) but on your back it's not noticeable. I always hike or ski with poles. it was 14 degrees when we started and 55 when we were done, a lot of clothes came off, sometimes they go on instead. Food got eaten, and water and coffee drunk . we carry more things than most people but we do this a lot and like to be comfortable. extras are better than needing and not having. DH's xc boot broke unexpectedly, and we always have a bit of duct tape for emergency repairs. we like to take a lunch so we can sit and enjoy the view so we usually take one. if you sit in the snow to eat, you get cold, so need a puffy. we want to look at wildlife so binoculars needed. risky to leave wallet and phone in car, so those come along too. it adds up quickly.

Seating in planes has become so cramped and planes jammed full .... more people will be at risk. especially tall or heftier people who can barely cram into a seat these days. long flights...you can be stuck in place hours barely be able to move! tight clothing ups the risks. that is too bad about your brother. plane seating is the only time I feel lucky for being short!

we are doing a hike this morning, then the weather is not looking very good. whole herd of mule deer outside our window this morning but no elk.

I'm unable to eat bars with "extra protein". Ugh. can't stand the taste or texture. I tried several and they all failed the taste test. I love regular Kind bars. DH likes Luna. it's a small part of our diet, so I eat one I like.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Pump workout #1 boxing cardio, 30 minutes, heart rate average 132, max 155, met 6.1, 202 calories, 2,89 steps. I wore my 1.5# gloves. I then did Kelly's Circuit Burn premix cardio and boxing, 31 minutes, 212 calories, heart rate average 139, max 168, 3,061 steps followed by the abs 6 minutes, 25 calories, 32 steps. I used a 10 # dumbbell and a 5# soft med ball for where she uses the dumbbell between the knees. I don't like holding metal weights between my knees as they slip and they hurt. Total time was 67 minutes, 439 calories.
Tomorrow I will do Ripped with Hiit Chest, Shoulders, and triceps adding some longer abs and maybe cardio. It depends on how I am feeling. I went outside to clean up little seedlings from the neighbors tree and set off the allergies. It itches all through my sinuses now. I keep coughing :(

Valerie, it is best to have all of your needs with you. Our neighborhood page had complaints about people getting wallets stolen from their cars when they would go to the park to run. I really cannot imagine why anyone would leave that sort of thing in the car and not figure someone is watching for a reason to steal it. My husband always tries to get the front row that has more leg space on planes. They really are cramped.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday and today I did indoor rides. This morning I had a massage and a chiropractic appointment.

Deb-We were lucky with snow this time. We only got an inch or so the past couple of days. I'm planning on doing the Pyramid combo premix on Friday.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your allergies :( My allergies are acting up this week too. Great job with the KCM workouts. It amazes me how many people around here report having things like laptops, tablets, wallets and purses stolen from their cars while they are at the gym or a park.

Lori-Wow, that is so much snow! I bet GiGi loved playing in it! I hope your power is still on.

Hi to Carolyn, Valerie & Janet!

Judy

No workout for me today. My body and mind are still on standard time and I didn’t want to get up early for my workout. I had my WW meeting today and ran some errands afterwards.

I am having allergy problems this week too but I expect it at this time of year.

Judy, when I hear reports of valuables stolen from a car, I wonder what people are thinking. It seems that someone is always waiting to steal from parked cars even at the walking trails.

Deb, the RWH Plyo HiiT One is not bad. I modify some moves but not enough to feel frustrated. For me it is similar to doing the Mixed Impact Cardio workout. Plyo HiiT Two requires more modifying since there is a lot of jumping up on the step which I don’t do.

Diane Sue, great workout as usual! That’s too bad that the Kind bar didn’t agree with you. I try to avoid soy products since there is so much uncertainty as to how they affect people with thyroid problems.

Valerie, it sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation. So many animals in their natural habitat.

Lori, I think that RWH is one of Cathe’s harder series. I like it in small doses—a little here and there with other workouts in between.

Janet, keep up the good work. Just continue to work on your exercise and eating plan and don’t expect to be perfect. It just takes time.

I forgot to mention that I put a new battery in my scale and it finally moved, except it went up 2 lbs. Today I weighed in again and I dropped 4# so now I am happy that I can still do it!! It was getting frustrating. I used the slow cooker and cooked up a pot of beef bone broth that I strained and removed the fat from yesterday. I was happy when I found beef soup bones at Sprouts in the frozen meat area Monday. :) Family dinner today and I am getting ready to make some mint brownies to use some of this organic peppermint extract I purchased by accident at Sprouts when I thought I was getting vanilla. Tacos for everyone. I generally eat some taco meat on top of a salad :) I read something from Robb Wolff yesterday that made me worry about too many oxalates. I know my doctor once told me to not eat very much spinach because it makes minerals not be absorbed well. Anyway he told a story about a woman that was doing a green smoothie cleanse or something and she had kidney failure!! I wouldn't think a greens drink a day and a salad would be too much though. Some days I have other veggies, soup and no salad. I love my kale salads.

Judy, there are probably people just sitting at those parks waiting and knowing they will find something. Besides that I learned from my husband and one of his retired friends that some of those people that sit in their cars at the park by the playground are sitting there to watch children. I had mentioned people just sitting in the cars when I took the grandchildren to the park. Now the park seems kind of creepy to me. The allergies were bothering me so badly this morning that I used some Nasalcrom in hope of helping. I am hoping I don't have a reaction that reminds me of why I decided I didn't want to use it anymore. I have that and Flonase along with a couple of old prescription sprays sitting the the cabinet.

Carolyn, I was tired and tempted to not workout this morning myself. I avoid soy because I have read so many negatives about it and it usually does not agree with me. I used to make my own tempeh and still have bags of dried soybeans in the cabinet. I probably should toss them. I worry about the thyroid too. I need to remember when I go to the doctor again to remind them to check the nodule on my thyroid that they found when I was getting all of those tests done. I didn't think to look at the ingredients in the kind bars. I just looked at the sugars and protein macros. I usually get the regular nut ones with the coffee flavor and dark chocolate. I was not too wild about the peanuts in the one I got this time either. Plyo Hiit 2 is much like the cardio shred workout of Fit Split. I always lowered the step to one or no risers and did modifiers for some of it. The main thing that will get my knees hurting is excessive jumping on and off the step bench. A little is okay, but I pay everytime I get carried away with it and have to lay off of things that really affect my knees for a few days.

Today was troublesome WAY too windy to do what we planned. we lasted 10 min and quit. drove around and checked some other spots, but it got very warm, almost 60 degrees and dirt roads turned to slimy slop! we ended up snowshoeing uphill and back down for about 2 hours on a trail that was not very interesting. we have a large herd of mule deer in our yard this morning. they are curious and somewhat friendly seeming. we have some gray partridges here, a bird I'd never seen before. the deer come right up to our house. we don't have any plants for them to eat so that can't be it. we are supposed to get snow tonight so not sure how that will affect plans. it is pretty warm so we will see how it works out.

I like the Kind bars with dark chocolate and sea salt. I liked the maple flavored ones too. they make some with hot chilis too. DH thinks they're awful but that means they are all mine.! there was a vanilla almond one too. there are so may bars on the shelves now, with different focus, that companies seem to be reducing the flavor choices. the market exploded, just like all the kinds of yogurt.

Trailhead vandalism is off the charts where we live in WA. all the little meth heads and tweakers break in and take anything. it must work a lot of times or they wouldn't do it. people are careless about putting wallets, ipads, phones in cars and acting like locking the door helps. not only do you lose those things, but they bash out windows to get them. ad that's usually out of pocket since most people have a higher deductible.

The humidity here is very low and both DH and I have an awful time with nasal congestion, and minor bleeds. I use a saline spray that helps a litle, but it is as bad as allergies.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies,

This morning was 3 SB’s lower targets. I then did 2 Bellicon lower targets. One was a barre and bounce interval and the other was chair and squat intervals so they all went well together. Total time was 55 mins / 288 cal. My office opened at 10am today so I was able to get in an extra few mins.

Diane Sue...This much snow is pretty much routine where I live. We were fooled because up until March we had a pretty mild winter. I would like to try the RWH workouts again. I was really into barre when these came out so want to revisit. I liked pretty much most of the Fit Split workouts especially the weight ones. I did not care too much for the Shred and the low impact was just ok. Nice on the 4 lbs! :)

Deb...I did like the Plyo in RWH that I remember! They were about 30 mins right? Great job on your workouts!! Yup another storm is on it’s way. Enough already!!!

Valerie...you amaze me with all the things you have “just in case”. That is awesome! That is a huge variance in temp. I need to try a Kind bar. You have mentioned this before and I have yet to have one.

Judy...yes we still have power. This morning I saw on the news 140,000 in the state were without. I feel for them. About 10 years ago we had an unbelievable ice storm in my area. Trees were falling all over the place. The most terrifying storm of my life, that was how bad it was. We lost power for 5 days in single digit temps. I had never been so cold. Do not wish this on anyone.

Carolyn...I am having a really hard time adjusting to the time change. More so than years past. What is up with this?

Have a great night all!

Valerie, do you think maybe people have fed the deer and that is why they come so close? I am prone to liking the bars with sea salt or chili pepper in them too. No one else in our family other than one grandson would be willing to try the ones with chili peppers in them. My husband has always said not to go from store to store and leave packages in view in the car. There are many times that we have hauled one shopping trip home and then went back out.

Lori, nice that you had a little more time to workout this morning. I am trying to do the Fit Split workouts enough to make up my mind how I feel and which ones I will go back to. I wish the Low Impact did not have gliding discs in it. I just do not care for them for my cardio workouts. Shred burns a decent amount of calories, but I would rather do something else similar that is more fun. I still may change my mind, the time spent on them is nice for a fast decent calorie burner. I remember an ice storm about that same amount of years ago here where we had a yard full of trees and them snapping and falling. You could sit in the house and here the branches dropping and hitting the house and the roof. We had lots of clean up work as we were on a large corner lot with huge oak trees and a pecan tree. We had piles of limbs stacked all around the house and they had to work to get large limbs off the roof.

I think most people here hunt deer and view them as pests or road hazards. I get ticked off when they eat my ornamental plants in WA. nothing like that here. We have sage brush and a few junipers.
Mule deer have such lovely faces, they are just beautiful. The herd is a family group descended from a doe and her children and grand children etc. the local group is about 20 as far as I can count.

I like Kkind bars because ingredients are understandable and mostly nuts , stuck together. Yes some sweetener but nothing ridiculous. We need a snack that holds up to travel in a backpack in all conditions. I would not use them as s meal substitute but a handful of kale halfway thru a hard hike or ski is not adequate. .
Lori Just snowshoes weigh about 5 lbs ....things add up quickly. We usually have “extra” for safety. The training DH and I had said always “plan for an unexpected night out in unpleasant conditions”. We always do that. People run out in tennis shoes with nothing but an energy gel and don’t think about the outcome if they get lost, sprain an ankle, or bad weather. The idea is to survive ....not necessarily enjoy .....a bad night because you have a hat gloves jacket and water even a minor injury can be life threatening if you are stuck out somewhere and weather is bad. People get silly and act like they can call for help where there is no service.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I took a rest day yesterday. Did not sleep well the night before.

Diane Sue, You are really going through the KCM workouts! I just do what I can to get the steps up, but like you said, I don't fret about it if I don't make the goal. I am more concerned about the one that the "per hour" step goal, making sure I am moving about and not sitting too long. I didn't mind the full upper body Pyramid, but knew the lower would be too long for me. I think next time I may do both upper and lower, and skip the part with the stability ball. Tomorrow the Bonus Combo is on my list to do. That is one I am looking forward to. I checked the Kind bars I have and do not see any soy in them.

Valerie, that is a lot of stuff to carry, but all of it makes sense to have. I agree on seating on planes. They tell you to get up and move around to prevent something like a clot, but seriously, where do you go? If you don't have an aisle seat, it is tough to keep getting up. I always get an aisle seat when I book a flight, even if it is a short one. All the wildlife you are seeing is so great! Did you take a picture of that bird so you can try to find out what it is?

Judy, good ride! Did you do the Live one that she had last week? We got more snow here yesterday, not like Lori though!

Carolyn, it's funny how the time change affects people. Maybe that is why I have had some sleep issues this week.

Lori, Great that you were able to get to work, and it started a little later. We had an ice storm like Diane Sue mentioned, that you could hear the tree branches snapping off...it was really scary. All this talk about RWH is making me want to do that one next week! I remember liking all of them except for the Plyo one....which I may have sold on Ebay...or not, I would have to look. I think they are all under an hour, maybe 30-50 minute range.

Car inspection this morning....

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.