Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/17

Hi again,

The show was called "Masters of Illusions" and it was great! 4 different people, doing various things. They are an act that just spent 10 months in Las Vegas.

Diane Sue, thanks for the link. I will download it over the old one I have.
Valerie, I am not sure about pushing down on the underside, it is inside the glove. LOL on the visual of you crawling downstairs in the middle of the night to eat German Chocolate cake. :)

Hi to Judy, Carolyn and Lori

Take care,

This is a rest day for me. My daughter number 3 is home for the weekend and she brought the young man that she is dating. It’s the first time that she has done that.

I like to make desserts when there will be a group of people to eat it. I’ve tested a couple of recipes recently, but I sent the cake and the cookies away. I don’t want to keep desserts around that I really like!

Deb, that show sounds great. I’m glad that you enjoyed it.

Hello to All and enjoy your day.

Good evening all!!!

Friday was Cardio Party and I bounced at lunch. Did not workout with Chelsie. Yesterday was Metabolic Blast along with a BodyBarre arm workout to finish my arms. Boy it certainly did. I used 3’s and 5’s and wow I felt it. I added it below for those interested in a light weight hi rep workout. They have a great YouTube Channel and I have done quite a few of their workouts. Today I did one of a mix match 35 to 40 min workout I made up to try out with Chelsie. She needs more weights than cardio so I am reducing our bounce time and adding in light weight hi rep upper and lower. Thinking she will like my creations! :)

Deb...I love Magic Shows. Glad you enjoyed it. Great your hip is improving. Good news!

Carolyn...must be serious if she brought the boyfriend! Home depot and lowes both do well with their garden shop here too.

Judy..great job with Muscle Endurance. I know that is a favorite of yours. We have snow coming tonight and tomorrow morning. It is a coastal storm so my brother will get more than we do. It is always the other way around. We will take this! I have to work so my son will drive me in. Bob is off and will be sleeping in I am sure! Congrats on your job. :)

Diane Sue...I love german chocolate cake. Yum. I do not right my weights down for Lite Metabolic. I too think it moves too fast for me to do so. So far I go with what I feel.

Valerie....congrats on the jeans getting loose!!! Good job!!!

Have a great day all!!

Deb, I thought maybe something might be caught on my weight gloves, but I tried everything and it would not budge. I have not had time to go try something to help. It is odd though that they all are stuck. It does not seem they would all have something caught in the zipper.

Valerie, I love the coconut pecan frosting on the German chocolate cake. Although I make a chocolate pound cake in place of German chocolate cake mix which does not taste good. I almost had two pieces today. I was eating one at the table, got up to do something in the kitchen and grabbed a plate with cake on it and started eating it thinking I had carried my plate to the kitchen with me. When I got back to the table I discovered I was eating two!! I ended up covering some of it and sticking it in the refrigerator.

Lori, nice work. That workout looks interesting. I saw that Amy Ross has posted she has equipment set up and is filming workouts for her Youtube channel.

Edited to say today was a rest day. I stayed up till after 12 and got up early to start the roast and make some freezer biscuits so I had some bread to go with dinner. I made a I Love My Instant Pot Keto recipe book butter pot roast recipe. I did not put a whole stick of butter in though. I did twice the weight in roast and only used 1/4 cup. It had ranch dressing mix packet sprinkled over the top and was first browned with seasonings rubbed in. It was all gone. No leftovers today. Just a bit of cake.

Carolyn, I like trying dessert recipes and usually save them for when there is someone else to share with. That is great that you got to meet your daughter's boyfriend.

we developed an outside water leak suddenly this morning, and spent most of the morning getting it fixed temporarily. why do plumbing issues come up on holiday weekends??? it is OK, and we can probably fix ourselves, but not good to delve into plumbing mysteries when no one is working and they'd have to hike downhill in deep snow. .

I did Stacked upper again today. I increased a few moves to 12 lbs from 10, made the step height a bit harder, but not sure I can adjust upward that much. it moves so fast I don't think I want to push it too hard. I am doing Cathes weight for the rest.

I always thought german chiocolate cake was the richest one of all. it had 3 layers and the coconut pecan frosting. OMG. luscious. I really should not make this without at least 12 guests!.

Deb, I mean push the fabric down, away from the zipper, while you pull the zipper tab forward and back. wish I could be there to help you.

Good morning,

No exercises yesterday. My leg was hurting, could almost not tell if it was the hip, the knee or probably both.

Carolyn, nice that your daughter wanted you to meet the man she is dating. Sounds like it might be serious.

Lori, Hope you did not get the snow that they predicted. Thanks for the link, I may try that one. Would need to find it on YouTube and add it to my phone so I can use my Chromecast to view it. Edited to add: this is a monthly subscription that you must have?

Diane Sue, that roast sounds delicious! Apparently it was..LOL... I keep forgetting to have John use some Tri-Flo on the zipper.

Valerie, I hope you were able to get the plumbing fixed. Yes, plumbing somehow knows when it is a weekend or holiday. we are lucky that there are some good plumbing repair places there that are 24/7. If the fabric is stuck on the zipper, it has to be on the inside, where you can't see it because it is stuck closed. It is not stuck anywhere on the outside..... I hope that makes sense. I could post a pic here.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Deb, I am so sorry your leg was hurting like that. I keep forgetting that I wanted to try something with the zippers. I think about it when on here and forget when I am upstairs.
Valerie, messing with an outside leak when there is snow sounds miserable. I am glad it is something that you can probably fix yourselves. So, Stacked moves fast too? I guess all of the Lite workouts are similar in that respect then?

Today we are dropping my car off for an oil change then I will work out while my husband runs a couple of errands. I want to do Kelly' s Raw step 3 with weights that she just put up on her channel. If I have time I will add some other weights work that I think I need and a stretch. I would like to do the foam roller stretch on Raw again.

Deb, I get all the zippers to fix. just like I get all the cords and ropes to untangle. I'm good at both.

diane sue, yes Stacked Upper is 3 groups of 5, 5, and 7 focused exercises that are repeated twice. yes, Cathe clips right along. her weights are not overly heavy but the speed and muscle overlap makes them pleasantly challenging. I started with her weight, and on a few things went from 10 to twelve. if I go too fast, I unconsciously shorten range of motion, and squeeze the muscle less, so I am sticking close to the weight she uses. I am tired by the time I get thru them, and feel well worked. I use a lower step for the tricep push ups. it's the first time I've been able to do tricep push ups and keep my arms close at my sides. putting my hands on the corners of the step rotates my arms so I can do them right.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty PHA Training. I did a premix that omits round 2C. My time was 46 minutes with 246 calories burned. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 160. My daughter and her boyfriend left a few minutes ago. We had a wonderful visit and he seems like a great guy. I think it’s semi-serious at this point, but they are happy.

I didn’t notice that Stacked Sets Upper moved quickly, but then I pause the player when I need more time. The workouts are short, so I guess Cathe moves quickly to fit everything in.

Diane Sue, your roast sounds like that recipe for Mississippi Pot Roast that I see on many sites. People love that recipe! I make German chocolate cake, but it’s not my favorite. I like the cake itself but the frosting is too sweet for me. I scrape most of it off if I eat a slice. The original recipe only put frosting between the layers but not on the sides. It’s not as attractive that way.

Valerie, great job with Stacked Sets Upper. I feel like Cathe put a lot of thought into the weight selections keeping in mind the intent of the workout. Each person needs to do what feels right for them. Some people can go heavier, but others might want lighter weights. I understand what you mean about needing to be mindful about range of motion and form.

Hello to Deb, Lori, and Judy.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Step #3 that Kelly just put up. This was 43 minutes(me 44) heart rate 144 average, 176 max, 3,905 steps, 283 calories, met 7.1 . Today Fit Bit and Map My Fitness matched to 1 calorie difference. I just went by those stats and figured out what the met would be. This was a fun workout, much like Kelly's Step Boxing 2 workout with the step boxing, drills, and then a weight segment which uses 10#. I wore my weighted gloves. Kelly says you can wear your weighted vest or pick up some light dumbbells for the step boxing segments. The drills are basically a floor version of the boxing moves you did on the step. There were four weight segments. They are not real long and include moves like side squat press, reverse lunge to upright row, plank row plank curl, lunge pull and push.
I then did Fit Split time saver just metabolic conditioning, 31 minutes, 177 calories, heart rate average 116, max 148, 719 steps, met 8.5. I finished with Lite extended stretch #2, 11 minutes, 32 calories. Total time was 86 minutes, 492 calories, 4,624 steps.
Metabolic Conditioning weights
upright rows 15# dbs
rear curl press lunge 12# dbs
pushs press 12# dbs
squat thrust to plank push ups body weight
rear lateral raise / rear flys 10# dbs
bonus burn rear flys 8# dbs
dragging plank/ moguls body weight
curl press triceps extension 12# dbs (started with 15's and decided that was too heavy)
cross back lunge curls 10# dbs
w curls 12# dbs
single dead lift with iron cross 8# dbs
dead lifts 15# dbs
plank triceps kickbacks 10# db
chest fly and pullover 15 # dbs and 12# dbs
monster walks core exercise body weight

Valerie, I will probably start out lighter whenever I get the Stacked workouts. I have found the same with the Pyramid Pump dvd. I do not go that heavy and I can feel really worked because of the pace and sequencing. Cathe is pretty good at overlapping body parts from one group to the next. I have used my high step with a couple of risers a lot for triceps push ups. Sometimes my perfect push up stands help as well. They always feel much harder than regular push ups.

Deb, I tried soap and vaseline on one of my weight gloves (the one pound one that has a zipper pull still) and it did not help. Maybe if it sits for awhile. I tried pulling up on the zipper like Valerie says and also tried pushing the sides of the zipper away just in case some of the zipper or fabric along the sides is a problem, but that did not work. IF I come up with something I will let you know.
I read an article recently on ashwagandha and cortisol. I know it helps with anxiety for sure, as I have used it. It also can help me relax to sleep. I keep some capsules on hand. It is in some of the supplements that Dr Axe sells. The pre-workout had it in it and a lot of the Keto supplements have it added. I think it was in the Keto multi vitamin I used. I drink Suja Kombucha sometimes and it has ashwagandha in it. I was taking some as a capsule in the afternoons, but when I started taking the Multi collagen rest and recovery, I was nodding off too early. I only do that when I am feeling really stressed. That is a good article.

Carolyn, I like exploring the different premixes on the workouts. I have thought I need to try the Pyramid Pump Lower body minus the gliding discs, although that eliminates about half of the workout. Pausing to write things down takes a lot of time up as well. I almost always pause for that. But, it is easier if it is a body part repeated or something , so I can just stop after each body part and jot things down. Or it saves time if I only write down what is different than what I did before and go back and fill in the blanks later. I love the homemade German chocolate frosting, If anything I would scrape off the frosting and just eat it. I usually think things are too sweet, but this does not affect me like that. I use unsweetened coconut in it and put lots of pecans. I need to figure out what to do with all of the egg whites I have left. Maybe an angel food cake or something else.

Diane Sue, I have started saving the egg whites and cooking them for breakfast the next day. I usually have some type of vegetable leftover and I put salsa on the egg whites. I used to throw them out before I started doing that.

Carolyn, I used to eat them scrambled with a bit of onion and parmesan cheese. I guess I could do that. I hate throwing them out. It used to be that there were a lot of recipes calling for egg whites or egg substitutes and now they are not quite so afraid of fat and wholes, the recipes do not do that so much. Also it is a shame when I spend money on free range eggs and then throw half of it out.

Good evening ladies,

No workout this morning. I did bounce at lunch though for 40 mins.

Deb....no subscription fee. Their channel is free on YouTube!!! :) That stinks you are uncomfortable today. Hoping tomorrow you are feeling less pain. We did get the snow. My son likes driving in this weather because he feels he is getting his money’s worth with his snow tires.

Diane Sue...I now want German Chocolate Cake. :). Great about Amy Ross. Looking forward to them. I wonder if she eventually will do a streaming channel. I saw the Step 3 and I liked it. I usually do not go for step workouts either.

Valerie...omg I love that frosting too. You ladies are killing me!! Lol!!! Hoping you were able to get the plumbing issue under control. I love the stacked workouts. And just like Carolyn mentions, I love I can use what feels right for me and still get a great workout.

Carolyn...great the visit was nice. How far does your children live from you? I seem to remember there is traveling involved.

Hi to Judy!

Have a great night all.

Lori, nice work getting in something at work. I keep eyeing my rebounder. I don't know why I haven't used it as much lately. We are suppose to have maybe an inch and a half of snow tomorrow then sleet and freezing rain. It will melt Wednesday. LOL on wanting to get use out of the snow tires. Kelly does such simple step choreography and usually part of the moves are on the floor. I am thinking that Amy will have streaming soon. She said she has got equipment and stuff. Her pictures on showed cameras and a set..

Carolyn, your children are spread a bit. I bet it is really nice when they come to visit.

Hi Everyone,

Saturday I took a rest day and yesterday I did a 35 minute indoor ride. Today I did Yin Yoga from Ultimate Yogi, then some low back & hip stretching (HASFit) and part of Jessica Smith's new Indoor Walk. It was a good active recovery day.
Here is the HASFit video that I did:

We got another 6-7 inches of snow last night. They were only predicting 1-3 but it just kept coming down. We were out at midnight shoveling the driveway and cleaning Chris's car off. The condo association usually takes care of snow removal but we needed to make sure it was done by early this morning.

Deb-I'm so sorry about your leg :( I hope it is feeling better tomorrow.

Carolyn-That's great that you had a nice visit with your daughter and her boyfriend. Great job with Strong & Sweaty PHA!

Varlerie-Great job with Stacked Upper. I need to do that one again. I agree about the German Chocolate Cake, it is so good! I would want 12 guests here too if I made one.

Diane Sue-That roast sounds really good! Great workouts today!

Lori-Thanks for sharing the weighted arm workout. I might have to try that one. There are so many interesting workouts on YouTube. Nice that you got to do a bounce workout today!

Have a good night,

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday I did PT exercises only.

Carolyn, it is so nice that your children visit even though they are not that close. Now I am curious, what is in round 2C of that PHA workout that you wanted to omit? That's so nice that you liked your daughter's friend. I scrape off most frostings, they are just to sweet. I like one that is basically whipped cream.

Diane Sue, nice sounding KCM... I am not sure if the ashwagandha in the rest and recovery collagen drink has had much effect yet for me.

Lori, it looked like you could try a workout for free for a certain amount of time, then it said it was $11.99 a month? I will go there and check it out again. What is the name of the channel;?

Judy, that looks like a good workout for hips and back. Bridges are what they originally gave me for my hip issue. Sorry about the snow! It's like it never ends. No snow here today, but it is only 12 degrees.

Hi to Valerie,

Take care,

Deb I looked on u-tube for zipper fixes. so many ideas on slippery things to lubricate the zipper. graphite from a pencil to windex, bar soap, olive oil on a q- tip. apply, try to wiggle the zipper and lubricant will work its way into the stuck area. maybe I didn't look hard enough, but they skip over the part about getting snagged fabric loose. I've used Pam spray before, but it can get all over. not the best idea unless you want to wash after. tri flo will get in there too, but you will likely need to wash the glove after. it will be hard to hang onto the zipper pull if it gets oily.

Funny, after thinking about why I never make that cake anymore, I remember. DH thinks pecans are a migraine trigger food for him, so I used walnuts instead. it was enough of an issue to move on to other desserts. we made it with 3 layers, frosting on top and between layers. not sides. I've lost my taste for very sweet things, so I'm not sure if I'd like it as much as I used to. WW just ran a recipe for a toned down version substituting rinsed sauerkraut for the coconut. I remember making a cake a long time ago that made that substitute and it was surprisingly good baked into the cake , but not sure why anyone would go to that extreme to avoid coconut. If occasionally I was having a piece of cake, I'd go for the original.

I don't remember last making a cake with actual frosting. glazes sometimes, but most frosting is too sweet, especially commercial ones. I can barely remember making a cake with actual frosting. I've made a lot of bundt cakes. the most they have is a light glaze or a drizzle of melted chocolate. Usually they travel well for taking to somewhere. I like plain pound cake or angel food with fruit, either on top or as part of the cake. cheese cake that way too.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.