Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/8

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did LITE Metabolic Blast, 30 minutes, 230 calories. I omitted the side plank part, just can't do those right. I saw in one of the video clips of one of the Bonus Ab workouts for the new series that she shows some good ways to assist with planks, ( at least it looked like it made it easier).. I think it is the one that of course, is not on the one DVD I ordered from that set. :(.

Judy, 8 hours of sleep is great! Did you do something for that or was it because you were so tired from work? how has your schedule been lately at HD?

Valerie, good idea on the sheets in the washer...I will have to try that. I hope Shameless goes to Prime after ShowTime. I think what you are doing with the jewelry is really nice! Scary about your aunt not emptying the lint trap. Yikes!

Carolyn, nice workout. Are you doing the December rotation?

Diane Sue, I never have had a smell from the washing machine, or have not seen any line form on the tub. Just sometimes it seems like the whites end up yellow, not sure if that means I am using too much bleach? I need to also see if it has a clean cycle! Embarrassed to say I never really studied the user manual or the dial for different types of cycles.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

all the fuss with cleaners came after problems with front loaders. musty smell, mold, leaking. I never had one, got enough feedback from friends who didn't like them. the other complaint was cycles took forever and sounded like a jet engine.
I cant speak to the bleach issue. I own almost nothing white and only use bleach separate from the machine. I hate the smell and have had a few disasters with bleach before.

I cant do side planks right either. cant block my feet to start with. they wont stay in that position! I don't like to put so much pressure on one shoulder. I do them briefly, but to me they are a little like the sit outs, better with another move.

I just saw the Shameless title flash past, only older seasons, on either Netflix or Prime. DH changes channels so fast I cant always tell where we are. but nothing new yet.
Deb that works fairly well for sheets in washer and dryer. fitted sheets still accumulate small things in the corners but its less trouble when they are loosely tied. we started season 3 of The Crown. totally new cast members supposedly 2 years after the end of season 2. I will watch but the new cast seems much less interesting than seasons 1& 2.

No workout today. This is my rest day.

Deb, great job with LiTE Metabolic Blast. I have trouble with side planks too, so I usually keep one knee on the floor. I am doing the a December rotation for now. I might change as the month goes on and I get short on time.

Hello to Valerie, Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Jessica Smith Build Balance and Flexibility: balance and agility that uses a band, 29 minutes, 116 calories, 1,050 steps, heart rate average 116, Max 155. I wanted to do something because the next two mornings I have to be out of the house early. I am doing a heart CT at 9 tomorrow morning. Tuesday is my ladies game day Christmas get together. I don't want to miss that and I am hoping to stop and vote against more money being blown. I want to do that before I go to the get together which is at 9. I really need to do some good cleaning around here.

Carolyn, I have not looked at the December rotation yet.

Deb, how many of the Step Box workouts did you order? It always seems that it is the workout that I was not so interested in, that has the extra bonus I wanted on it. I think so many whites have something besides just cotton added and they yellow with bleach and heat. I used to put a bit of bluing in a load once in awhile to counteract the yellow. I am not sure how hard that is to find now. I do not have many whites. Towels, which are definitely not that white anymore. It seems I either get stained white ones or colored that has color loss spots. Hard to win there. I always read the user manuals. Also instructions on cleaner bottles. You would be amazed what you have missed.

Valerie, I use bleach in my shower drain to get rid of build up. Sometimes I use the vinegar and backing soda hot water solution. It depends on the problem, because soap build up gets in there and mold clings to it. I remember trying to get some bleach to work for something and did not realize those Chlorox bottles are not all regular bleach. After reading the label I saw it was something else.

Deb-Thanks! I rarely get 8 hours of sleep so I was very happy! I think it was the combination of working 6 hours at Home Depot then coming right home and riding the Peloton bike for 85 minutes. I was really tired and went to bed early. My schedule at HD has been 4 days a week, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday. I have scheduled days off for the next couple of months so I will have some time off after Christmas and I'm sure hours will go down too. I'm looking forward to that, lol!

Good morning,

I did not sleep at all last night. Woke up yesterday with another UTI...ugh. Ended up going to one of those same day care places, just to get a culture started.

Valerie, lucky that you don't have white clothes. I remember my mother used to wash them twice, first time without bleach, then she would stop the machine before it did the last spin cycle, start it over and put bleach in the second time. Cathe shows a side blank off the end of the step (using 2 risers) in the video clip of the Abs Bonus 2 workout that is on the Step Boss Imax 4 Dvd. There are other ab moves on there that look good. Also on that DVD is a chair stretch bonus. It may be worth getting the DVD just for those 2 things, even though I don't do any of Cathe's step workouts. Tried looking for The Crown. Its not on Prime. I know the new season of Shameless is already past episode 3 or 4 on Showtime.

Diane Sue, good luck with the heart CT test. I only ordered the PHA 3 dvd from the new series. I may want to get the Step Boss Imax 4, for the 2 bonus workouts, the ab one and the stretch one.

Judy, that workday plus the Peloton would certainly make anyone very tired!

Ho to Carolyn & Lori,

Take care

I'm too much of a slob for white! no way! I never liked white sheets or towels. used to have white blouses, DH white shirts. no more. I can't think of a single white thing we own. always looks so fresh and clean in ads or when in the package, but its downhill from there. like white cabinets in the kitchen... not if you actually cook.

DH is caviler with soft scrub cleanser and bleach, and we have plenty of things with white bleach marks from the spatter. also some skin care products have bleaching agents. some dye in towels is easily discolored.

I'll bet using the step makes side planks less shoulder stress. same way for push ups.

bummer on the UTI. at least you are catching it immediately.
I sound like an idiot here... DH runs the TV remote. he goes so fast I'm not sure which network things are on. pretty sure The Crown is Netflix. the third season ( for us) is not as engaging as the first two although we only saw two episodes. it is an entirely new cast, representing the main characters who are getting older. still very good. sometimes the history you know the least is what happened while you were a young person but uninformed. media coverage is much different now than it was in 1960.

Judy you are tough! I could not ride an indoor bike that long. about 45 min is my max indoors.

This morning I did STS Plyo Legs, week two, disc 29. That was 50 minutes and 282 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 146. I followed that with the STS Extended Stretch for additional 15 minutes and 20 calories.

Deb, so sorry that you have another UTI. I like the looks of the chair stretch and the abs from the Step Boss series too. I preordered the set and I look forward to trying them all.

Valerie, I use bleach mostly in the kitchen rather than laundry. I use a solution of bleach and water to disinfect my sink and counters. When I worked in the school setting we had someone from the department of health come out periodically to train people on keeping down infections with the preschoolers. The one part bleach to ten parts water was always recommended and I still use that type solution at home. My husband will occasionally use bleach on his whites, but not as much as he did in the past.

Judy, I’m sure that your after work exercising helped with your sleep. Your schedule still sounds pretty busy, but I know this is a hectic time of year for retail.

Diane Sue, I hope that your appointment went well this morning.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Feeling a little apprehensive after the test. When texted the heart doctor the score he said he was going to have his office set me up with a stress test and carotid ultrasound for further evaluation. I told my daughter the score and had her look at the paperwork and she said the LAD was the worst place to have blockage in the artery. The radiologist did not seem that worried though and I gathered it was not terrible, but the heart CT is not all conclusive. So, more appointments I guess. I am wondering why I work so hard on health and diet and this comes up. Frustrated! No workout yet. I may go upstairs and do some weights and then clean upstairs since I will be out tomorrow morning again. At least tomorrow will be for something pleasant other than voting against the stuff they want to raise taxes for and waste money for an all inclusive bunch of stuff. They are so sneaky that way, they slip stuff in and send out wonderful mailings about how great it is.

Carolyn, I used to throw all of the daycare toys in the bathtub with bleach to disinfect. I use it in the baths and for that type of cleaning too. Under rare situations I launder with bleach. My husband hates that bleach smell in towels and whites. It is hard to get out even with extra rinses. It makes me cough, but the best way to clear mold and germs out of the shower and stuff.

we did a hike this morning, 2 hours. we lucked out .. picked a spot along the water, was clear and sunny, while inland.... its totally fogged in. fair amount of up and down hills. a decent workout.

Carolyn, we use Soft scrub cleanser with bleach, on sinks mainly. it's thick and stays in place better than bleach/water, and less likely to splash and get where you don't want it. DH splashes coffee all over my sinks ! I keep cleaning products simple. I use diluted alcohol on counter tops.. diluted bleach on my salad spinner. I hate the chlorine smell too.

Diane sue, hope all works out for you. regardless of how careful about doing what we hope are the right things. hope this is nothing to be overly concerned about.

this is out of order but just saw judys post... I put both myself and DH on the shingrix wait list this weekend. cost is not covered on the program I am on, nor the one I am on in january. no reason to wait. thanks for reminding us Judy. You would KILL me in a spin class. I am strong outdoors.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Today I did 2 short Peloton rides and XTrain Cardio Leg Blast, Strength Only. I also added on Core 2.
This afternoon I got my first Shingrix vaccine at CVS. They will send me a reminder in 3 months for the second one. I'm glad I finally got this done. I've been planning on it for a couple of years now.

Deb-I'm so sorry about the UTI :( I also like the look of the chair stretch and the bonus abs in Step Boss.

Valerie-I don't think I could keep up with you on a mountain bike. You do some challenging rides!

Carolyn-Nice workout! My schedule is better, but it's still rough. I honestly don't know how long I will stay there. I can't imagine doing this for more than a couple of years.

Diane Sue-I don't blame you for being apprehensive. I hope every thing is ok.

Valerie, I use soft scrub for my sink too. I use the green gel with bleach. My sink is white so there are always stains to remove.

Diane Sue, hopefully your test results will be good. I had to do a stress test once and I remember how nervous I felt about the entire process. I think the fact that you workout and try to live a healthy lifestyle all works to your benefit with whatever health problems you might have.

Judy, great workout today! Probably another good night’s sleep for you .

Valerie-CVS charges $179 for the vaccine. They put it through my insurance but I had to leave a cc number with them in case insurance doesn't cover it. I will be surprised if they do.

Carolyn-I got a lot of rest last night, but not really good. I was fine for a few hours after the vaccine then I started feeling like I was getting sick. I went to bed around 8 but didn't really sleep well. Not sure if I will be going to work today or not. I might have to call in.

Judy, sorry you are feeling less than great after. I was told to plan for a day or two of not feeling quite right, but not everyone is bothered except for a slightly sore arm. I've heard coverage depends on whether your yearly deductible has been met, then it might be partly covered. I was ready to get it Saturday, but they still had a wait list so I will get there... when I get there. it is wise to get the shot though. older people who get shingles can really suffer.

Carolyn I've never seen a green gel soft scrub. the one available here is a thick white semi liquid. maybe there are other cleaners on the shelf. I keep cleaning products very basic. If I could only train DH to rinse the sink after he dumps coffee, I wouldn't need to clean it so often. coffee stains white porcelain like crazy.

I am laughing myself silly right now... who knew there could be controversy about how you eat chicken wings? I am off the chart on the left of 1. I throw the skin away and if I get even a hint of the awful nasty cartilage, I am done. if someone else is crunching the cartilage I would leave the area.

Last edited:
Today I did Ramped Up Upper Body for 53 minutes and 308 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Judy, my arm was sore for a couple of days after the Shingrix vaccine, but I didn’t feel bad. Some people do for a few days. I’m glad that I got the vaccine.

Valerie, the green gel was called Comet gel when I first started buying it. Now it’s Soft Scrub. I have regular white Soft Scrub too because it works very well on my cooktop. The chicken wing thing is funny! I’ve had friends tell me that I’m not eating them right on the rare occasion that I eat one. People always have wings at parties.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, and Lori.

Judy, that is nice that they will send you a reminder for your second Shingrix. I just put it in my calendar so it would remind me. I didn't fell well for a couple of days after the Shingrix vaccine and my arm stayed sore for awhile. Nice work on the Peloton ride.

Valerie, when I got the Shingrix vaccine part of it was paid by my medicare supplement I think. I paid $69.82 dollars. I think genetics plays some roll in heart disease. My Dad had it and my grandfather died in his 60's of a heart attack. I will do what I can to stop it from getting worse and hopefully improve it. I sure read some crazy claims for getting rid of plaque in the arteries. I have no faith that drinking acv, lemon juice, mixed with other things would get rid of plaque in the arteries. I don't plan on taking prescription meds though and I do not want routine scans because I don't want to keep getting radiation. That is funny about eating the wings. My husband always said they are too much work to bother with. What I don't get is how they come up with boneless wings.

Carolyn, when you did the stress test, how did you they do it. I read treadmill, bike, or a drug that can make the heart simulate what other methods do. Just curious. Did they do it for a long time? As far as chicken wings and eating them, I just know I always made sure there was nothing left on those bones. Would not have thought of methods for eating them. What about how to eat ribs ;) Restaurants bring a bowl for cleaning fingers. My husband get comments because he sits and methodically takes the meat off the bones and then eats it with a fork. Me, I just pick them up and eat them with my hands.

I did x train bi’s and tri’s and ab workout yesterday . Think I will focus on x train series for a while.
I’m not a chicken wing fan. By the time I sort out what I think is edible, it’s not worth the effort! It’s hilarious the range of opinions on this topic

diane sue genetics plays a huge role in health. some things you can control for, but genetics will often prevail. Best follow up on the testing and see what you are dealing with. I never did anything to cause heart issues and need a pacemaker, but here I am. I have a good diet, have always exercised, controlled weight, etc but developed an electrical abnormality. fix the stuff that can be fixed, work around what cant be fixed. My fathers family, had heart issues, my mothers did not. my mothers family didn't have heart issues, but had other problems. no way to tell what tendencies you inherit, but get good ones and bad ones.

Last edited:
Today I did a timesaver from Cardio Leg Blast for 35 minutes and 215 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Diane Sue, when I had the stress test it was done on a treadmill. The did some testing first, then had me walk on the treadmill for a period of time. After that they did the tests again. It was 10 years ago, so I don’t remember all of the details. I am more like your husband with eating wings and ribs. I eat ribs with a knife and fork, and wings are too much work for too little reward! I assumed that boneless wings are really chicken tenders or strips of breast meat prepared like the wings.

Valerie, nice job with X Train Bis and Tris. I love that series. RWH strength workouts are also great. I did those last week.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Valerie, the X Train series is a good one for weight work. I like Burn Sets more than the other ones. You are right, we have to make the best of what our genes give us. I used to have excellent cholesterol. I limited fat to a very low level with 20 grams a day as my goal. I ate lots of fruits, vegetables, and pasta with tomato sauce. Limited protein because it had fat in it. That was probably not a healthy way to eat either.
If I can get through all of this other stuff I would like to look for an allergist and see if I can get testing done.

Carolyn, that was my thought on the boneless wings. They are not something I usually go for anyway. I looked up some stuff on the stress test. It said usually it does not take long for the actual test but the other stuff can lengthen the time. When I did the Heart Smart test I just stepped off and on a small step for 3 minutes. I am hoping my bronchitis and allergies have let up before I do that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.