Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/6

Hello Ladies. I am taking another rest day. I am trying to tweak my workout schedule a bit. I feel best if I include a flexibility workout in my week, so I am aiming for 5 workout days and one yoga or other flexibility workout.

Diane Sue, I hope that you feel better today. I can understand lifting the heavy water without thinking about it. It’s what we always do. Take care.

Judy, your spinning rides are very impressive. My allergies are bothering me too, but not as bad as yours.

Deb, I am doing the October rotation, but adjusting as I mentioned above.

Hello to Valerie and Lori. Lori, we miss you.

we rode this morning 15 miles about 1 hr 15.

I am asking for any ideas.
I am burning out dealing with my sister and her inability to learn anything.
she relies on land line but is unable to get voice mail. she has at least one new phone sitting in a box because she "can't understand how to use it". a new sewing machine met a similar fate. I suggested she call her cable Cust Serv and get help but nothing happens.

she has a free smart cell phone/ service via medicaid. she used it once, someone showed her how to use it, and since never has it available. I am not sure if she takes it with her when she is outside going to appointments but not any good if you cant use it.
she cant drive due to seizure disorder
she has no computer. no internet. not a clue how to use it.
I would buy her a computer in a heartbeat except it would sit in the box unopened like the phone.
she has almost no contact with her children. IMO at least partly due to functioning like its still 1970.
she doesn't use features on the land line like Voice Mail, call waiting, call block.

I buy things for her thru amazon, get them delivered etc. returns are a problem because she cant get to UPS outlet. she relies on free ride services from church groups etc.
I'm tired of her whining and bs excuses. I am tired of this endless job.

Do any of you know anyone like this?? I'm not brilliant at new technology so I understand hesitancy. incredibly hard to do anything without computer/internet access.
I tired of doing everything and no effort on her part to improve her situation. it would be less difficult if I could leave VM messages or text her. she is extremely annoying to talk to and yaps on endlessly.

I am thinking of refusing to talk unless she uses the cell to call and gets VM set up. what do you think? is that too harsh? I've asked her nicely before and explained benefits of having messaging set up. I am looking for any ideas, carrot or stick.

Last edited:
Valerie-I can understand how frustrating that must be for you. I think that refusing to talk to her unless she starts to use her cell phone and voicemail is a reasonable and is probably what I would do. I don't think it's too harsh, I'm not sure what else you can do.

thank you Judy. I am beyond worrying whether this makes her happy or not. it's ridiculous! I try to get a few things done to benefit her but she is a dead weight holding back progress. she lost jobs, marriages, and her kids because of this stubborn refusal to change anything. if she got email on her phone it would be vastly easier. or text messages.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, I have never actually tried a spinning workout, but even from riding a stationary bike, I can tell it would really get the heart rate up if doing a class like you were doing. I feel so sorry for IKE with the collar. He has adjusted to it, although with his long nose/head, he is actually able to get to the incision, and we have to correct him at times. Mostly he leaves it alone. I am hoping we can take it off this week. I think the heaviest I ever used was 25 pound DB and that was for bent over rows. Cathe is amazing. I can see how you would be so frustrated with your sister and her stubbornness. If you picked one thing that she could do, for example your suggestion about getting emails/texts on her phone, and told her either she learns how to do that one thing, or you will not be communicating with her, do you think that would work? Make it be her decision. After all you have done for her, she needs to put forth the effort for ONE THING , she is basically telling you she is ok with no communication.

Judy, sorry about those allergies. :( John has the same thing going on. ....good job on the workouts! I didn;t realize you still subscribed to the LIVE service.

Diane Sue, so sorry about what happened with lifting the water. At least you know that what you are doing is working, and not to lift anything that heavy again.

Carolyn, good that you are listening to your body and taking a rest, and stretching etc.

Lori, please drop in and let us know you are okay...

Take care,

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT. It was 39 minutes and 280 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 155. After that I did Element Beginner Yoga with Alanna Zabel, the Flexibility practice. That was 23 minutes, 60 calories burned, average heart rate 102 and maximum heart rate 122. Tabatacise was listed on the rotation, but I prefer AOLIH, which is more enjoyable to me.

Valerie, I’m sorry about the situation with your sister. I agree with Deb’s suggestion to focus on getting her to try one thing. Sometimes people can’t take action if there are too many things to choose from. Your sister clearly needs to communicate with you to get her needs met, so if she works on learning the phone that would help. Are there people who could come to her home to help her with these activities? Or pick her up to take her to a senior center? We have basic computer classes for seniors here. Maybe through services for seniors or those on Medicaid. Anything through AARP? I can only imagine how frustrated you must be.

Hello to Deb, Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thank you all for the input. I agree. focus on one thing. you are right, the cell phone. I will require she call me with it. if she does this, I will then get her to access the VM feature. it seems to work, I left several messages on it, so there is something to look at there. I want her to use the phone when she goes to appointments.
Carolyn, I'm sure there are senior programs. getting there requires 2 way ride service. she was able to drive until a few years ago but would not go then, so I expect I will hear the usual excuses about why "she can't". Our mother behaved like this. some combo of fear, laziness, and resistance to learning anything new. just finding programs and places without internet service is difficult. I will start with the cell. she did use it once but a couple months have passed and when I ask, its always somewhere "charging", and I frankly try to get the call done ASAP. never fast. she lives in an underserved inner city neighborhood without much to offer. area is also a food desert.
We had a breakthrough on our car/mouse problem. got winter tires put on and DH needed the lug wrench to make sure the bolts were tight. there's a compartment in back of a subaru with the spare tire, tools, and room for other supplies . mice have been there. paper was chewed up, nesting material etc. we are about 99% sure the mice got in thru this vents to this area ( one side only) by rear wheel well. supposed to be screening over vents but betting it didn't get installed or isn't tight. from the debris, its clear they could go from this storage area to the inside cab and back. we are opening it up today to check for screening. the dealer was zero help.

Just PT exercises Saturday and Sunday. Today I went to see the physical therapist and she added a couple of more moves and stretches changing it up. Oh, my gosh! I hurt so bad now. I could cry. I took some Advil and laid down with my neck roll and dozed and it hurt even worse when I got up. Just too much stretching that shoulder and she had me do some rolls on the wall with a play ball and hold a 1# dumbbell in my hand lying down and keeping my shoulder down I wrote abc's in the air. I think it just really aggravated it. In fairness to her it was not painful there though. I was going to stop at the store after I left and am glad I just came home. I am so tired of all of this. It is like a constant trial to find what works

Feeling a bit better tonight. Hopefully sleep goes well. For some reason too long on the computer sets of tightness and pain. The therapist suggested I make sure my arm is resting on something.

Judy, you have my sympathy with the allergies. I have been stuffing tissues and cough drops in my pockets along with taking a bottle of water with me to PT because I keep coughing. I need my arsenol with me. Also, it aggravates my neck when I am coughing and sneezing.

Valerie, I go in Thursday to see the arthritis doctor so he can go over the mri results. Sometimes I think some moves are just not okay right now. Particularly with the shoulder. They can work my neck and shoulder and generally I get some relief, but strengthening the shoulder is a bit difficult. Particularly when it appears I have a lot of inflammation there. I go back to PT on Wednesday. I am going to have to tell her how my shoulder reacted to the shoulder stretches and the weight thing. I did tell her it hurt. She seems to think I need to strengthen the muscles there without causing the shoulder to lift. Hopefully the doctor can shed some light on what I need. I really did feel much improved last Wed and Thurs up till Friday's shopping incident. I hope that is the end of your mouse problem. Sorry your sister is so difficult. I have a friend in her mid 80s and my Dad that never seemed to be able to get their messages on their cell phones. Their voicemail boxes were always full and it took many tries to reach them. As far as using them otherwise they were okay with them. Although my friend called here recently and I think she got a new iPhone because she kept trying to talk to Serie or whatever the iPhone help is. I kept trying to talk to her and she wasn't getting it. Anyway, if she could figure it out it would help when she needs things. Is there a library anywhere near her. They often have senor programs. I think she needs a wake up call to appreciate what you do for her. Nothing wrong with making her use the phone in my opinion. She must not be suffering too much if she is willing to just sit there and hope someone will come to the rescue. I thought she had someone show her how to use the phone at one time??

Deb, poor Ike. I am sure you both will be happy when he can get rid of the cone. Mudd was able to get at her wound somewhat with the cone because when I purchased it, they did not have the larger one.

Carolyn, I would prefer All Out Low Impact Hiit over Tabatacise as well. I have to be in the mood to do Tabatacise and mostly end up doing premixes of it.

Good morning,

no workout yesterday.

Carolyn, nice job on All Out Low Impact. That is a great workout.

Valerie, I agree with Carolyn's suggestions on possibly getting a volunteer ride service to take your sister places. I had not even thought of contacting Medicaid to see what they have to offer. People here that are on Medicaid use cabs...and I am sure they are not paying full fares. There may be a discount program with a local cab company. Start very small with having her call you and you call her using her cell phone. Once she is somewhat comfortable with that, add the VM piece. It sounds like she is overwhelmed with things she doesn't understand, and the natural thing is to do nothing. Texting using the phone would be a separate thing that could really help with your communication too. Great news on the mouse breakthrough!

Diane Sue, I am so sorry about what you are going through. Maybe your PT sessions are too long? Do you go more than once a week? What do they say when you tell them how much pain you are in afterwards? How about a stand up computer desk, or use it standing for a bit to see if that changes anything. I hope the DR is able to come up with a diagnosis from the MRI.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Yesterday I did 90 minutes of Peloton rides, I did 2-30 minute rides, 1-20 minute ride and a 10 minute cool down ride. The first 30 minutes I rode fairly hard, the second 30 was aerobic base and the last 30 was very light, recovery pace. I don't think I would ever ride longer than this on that bike, and I probably won't do one that long again. It doesn't have an aero position like my other indoor bike so it's not as comfortable to ride.

Deb-I hope Ike can get out of the cone soon. I don't subscribe to Live anymore but I purchased a bunch of the Live downloads when Cathe had the 30% off sale last month.

Diane Sue-I am so sorry that the PT is painful. I hope you get some resolution from your doctor visit on Thursday.

Carolyn-Great job with All Out Low Impact HiiT! I agree with Diane Sue, I have to be in the mood to do Tabatacise. AOLIH is one of my favorite low impact Cathe workouts.

Hi to Valerie & Lori!

Judy

Today I did Muscle Max which was 1 hour 16 minutes and 347 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 146.

Diane Sue, I’m so sorry about the continued pain that you are having. Hopefully the doctor can shed some light on what is going on when he reviews the MRI with you.

Judy, great job with the Peloton rides. That’s too bad that it isn’t as comfortable as your old bike.

Hello to Deb, Valerie, and Lori.

Judy by "aero position" do you mean forward with your forearms on the bars? more like riding a road bike, taking some weight off the sit bones. even when I road ride, I stop every half hour briefly for a posture change. my hands and wrists are a mess and I get numb. padded gloves don't help. I wanted to get my bike set up with aero bars but I am so short in the torso that if I do that, I can't have "cheater" brake levers. I can barely reach the normal brake levers. that is a heck of a long ride. I can do it outside, but not on the indoor bike.
Carolyn, MM is one tough workout. I have not done it in forever but used to like it.
Deb, how is Ike doing?
diane sue hope you are feeling better today.

First confrontation about cell phone. it was brief. she called 5 min before dinner, and she knows when we eat. she had a package delivered sunday night. I would have warned her about it but no way to message her. she didn't find it until Monday afternoon, then tried to tell me it came Monday pm. has item for delivery wed, I get email updates but no way to contact her without a long blah blah phone call I didn't have time for. then, she wanted me to look up the address of a woman who lives near by so she can somehow get "into the conversation" on Next Door. she wanted to take paper and stamps to her, so this unknown person could notify her of "news" in the neighborhood! she has no clue... like talking to someone from another planet.
She used the phone once 2 months ago. hasn't touched it since. stuck it back on the charger in an unused bedroom and didn't use it like I told her to. one of the drivers from her rides showed her how to use it. I told her to take it with her on rides in the city. each appointment counts as 2 rides. the drop off driver doesn't wait, gets picked up by a second person. if they are late or don't show up, she has to find a pay phone. good luck with that.
She uses all the rides she is entitled for medical appts. also uses a local church group. she needs to sell her house, and move to low cost group assisted living with a van service for appts groceries, etc. She has such an angry belligerent attitude, she is unlikely to succeed in any group class. I told her not to call me again until she uses the cell phone. probably wont happen but aim for that.
sorry guys, but I have let this irritation build up. because of no ways to message, it makes every little thing a huge time sink. I felt bad for her at first but even given free stuff she fights it.

Valerie-yes, we modified my Cyclops bike with aero bars so it's more comfortable for longer rides. Also, the Cyclops was meant to be like a road bike and the Peloton is strictly a spin bike, so more upright and there is no easy way to modify with aerobars. We still have the Cyclops and I will use it for longer workouts.

Today I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster, 30 minutes and 228 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Judy, I think my spin bike must be more like the Peloton in terms of the handlebars and seat. It’s a Spinning brand. I can ride for 30-40 minutes at most. I haven’t used it lately because it’s too hot in that room. I might try it again now that the weather is turning cooler.

Valerie, I hope that your sister will work on using her cell phone.

Diane Sue, I’m starting to wonder if the PT is irritating your problem more than helping. Maybe you should talk with your doctor about it.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

Yesterday did a Low impact Hiit premix, core 1, and x train bi's and tri's premix yesterday. a good workout.

I get posture fatigue from spinning. if I do it regularly I can go a little longer, but get about 50 min max. we can't modify the handlebars on our bike. shape is wrong.

today we rode the tree farm, 90 min. wow it was cold. there was some fre4shs now in spots. we have unseasonal coldness right now, after a whole lot of rain. trails were too muddy to ride so we stuck with mostly roads until it dries out a bit. mud flying everywhere and it gets very slippery.

Diane sue, I agree with Carolyn. maybe total upper body rest time is best. hopefully your doc will address this specifically. you still don't know what's wrong. maybe a break from PT and upper body workouts for a couple weeks to let things settle down. unless there is something specific that's wrong and causing all this discomfort.

Last edited:
Today was physical therapy. She did not have me do the weight work that seemed to irritate things this time. My neck felt pretty good and she just worked on my shoulder. Sometimes those stretches and compression really hurt. She wants me to do something similar to the nerve glide move I have been doing several times a day and before I go to bed to see if it loosens up that nerve. She even said everytime we make a little progress and move forward the shoulder gets irritated. Felt better when I came home, but things are starting to tighten up which is so frustrating.

Deb, I go to PT two times a week and do exercises they give me every day. Although I hedge on the painful ones. Or if I am really hurting I just stick with the things that help posture without causing pain like lying on the foam roller lengthwise, chin tucks, neck stretches and lumbar openers.

Judy, I am surprised there is such a difference in comfort on the spin bike. I guess it is angles ? I have only used the one that I have so I have not clue about differences.

Carolyn, I am with Valerie, I have not done MM in forever. I think I did a live one.

Valerie, it sure seems like your sister would appreciate the cell phone for getting places. I cannot imagine trying to find a way to call when she misses a ride. That is crazy. I am hoping my doctor does shed some light on what I should do.

I have listed reasons she will like using the phone..... Huge benefits! can you imagine sitting somewhere waiting for a ride with no way to call if he doesn't show up? or finding a phone booth? it would also let her message/ get messages from her kids who currently don't contact her much. every call is drudgery!...a long tortuous blaaah. . I dread it. her kids can't be different. half the time need to leave a delivery date. I resent getting trapped for 45 min on the phone when I could be doing anything else. she called today. didn't mention the cell phone ultimatum, blabbed about nothing, used the whole recording time. I didn't call back. She's thinking I won't hold her to it.... That was the last straw. I have to listen to her complain about how hard it is to do everything, and then she refuses to do the one frigging thing that would make her life easier.

diane sue best of luck tomorrow with the doctor appt. so hard to know what to do if you don't have enough information. it is for her own safety and benefit.

we are heading back to Montana tomorrow now that the roads are cleared. lots of snow and wintery weather made the last 2 days a no go.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.