Pentagenarians & Beyond: 10/13/2024

FitGran

Cathlete
Good morning.

This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, Morning Energy practice which was 18 minutes.

Waving hello to All and I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did CDorner Old School Aerobics & abs (skipped the abs) 31 minutes, 161 calories, 4, 073 steps, heart rate 136/161. I followed with CDorner mobility day 6 full body stretch day 8, 14 minutes, 21 calories.
Today is a rest day. My hours are changing since my husband started a new job and will work day shift now. We were up at 5 am this morning. I am used to getting up around 8 or 9 so this will take a bit to turn around.

Carolyn, nice work on Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy today.

This morning I did STS Disk 5 Back and Triceps. We finally got some rain last night. I checked and we got just under an inch. Could have used more, but that's more than we've had in 6+ weeks.

Valerie sounds like you had a good if cold ride yesterday. I freely admit to not being a cold weather outdoors person. Though I'm generally good for hiking with warm clothes.

Carolyn great job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Old School Aerobics and full body mobility stretch.

As long as I'm dressed right, I prefer cold to warm conditions. you need to allow for constant wind chill on road rides. riding generates a lot of wind flow and one needs bare skin covered. I have a hoodie that works great for riding with ear and neck protection. I have a helmet cover. you dont need much insulation but need skin cover with a wind breaking fabric. i did a grocery shopping run early and then yard work and finally therapy work. we are lining up for some rain this week. supposed to rain tomorrow and then wed thru friday.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets, timesaver 5. My time was 46 minutes with 185 calories burned. My average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 141.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Old School Aerobics & abs, and CDorner Mobility. Hopefully you will adjust to your new schedule soon.

Valerie, nice job with getting the shopping done, yard work, and your therapy exercises.

Cathy, good job with STS disc 5 Back and Triceps and disc 6 Legs.

Waving hello to Judy.

Today I did Cathe's Killer Legs, 40 minutes, 162 calories, heart rate 114/135. I then did Raw Kickbox #6, 168 calories, 30 minutes, heart rate 138/155, and finished with STS 2.0 Mat yoga, 22 minutes, 38 calories. Total time. 92 minutes, 368 calories. I tried my first ride on the e bike Sunday and managed to dump the bike in the driveway. My husband put it in the garage because he does not want me hurt and we will borrow my daughter's bike when we can get it so I can get back used to riding. I am not used to the braking, the bike is heavy, it started to roll down hill and I had to thing "brakes" got it stopped and let go of the breaks and it started rolling sideways and ended up on the ground. No way was I picking it up. It weighs 151 lbs. So, I am really disappointed in myself. Driveway slopes, so dumb place to start. This is a busy week. Adjusting to new hours, not sleeping well, and I have an arthritis appointment Wednesday morning which is some distance, and I am not looking forward to. My allergies and airways are bad and I hate going places coughing like crazy. Wish I could find one doctor that could really help. I am going to get a flu shot when I go to the arthritis center. I have not got one the last two years. Too many things are showing up that worry me. I read on Nextdoor neighbor that their child was sick and they doctor just sent them home only for it to get worse and it ended up being microplasma pneumonia. My daughters nurse and her children from another city have it. Then they are talking about wooping cough showing up more and more. I am wondering about all of those people pouring over the border and diseases. We do get to have two of our younger grandchildren over for the night on Friday which is something to look forward to.

Cathy, nice work on STS disk 5 back and triceps and STS disk 6 Legs.

Valerie, it sounds like you got a lot accomplished with yard work, shopping, and therapy work.
When my husband used to have a motorcycle, even when it was 70 degrees outside I wore a jacket. Wind blowing at you is chilly.

Hi to Judy and Carolyn

diane sue so sorry you didnt have success right away. I had no idea electric bikes were anywhere near that heavy! my road bike is 25 lbs with all add on things like mirrors, odometer, tools, extra tube. its carbon fiber which was a big deal when we bought it. I've never stopped riding so I never needed to learn to balance again, but if you aren't moving forward you will go over sideways.

I just got my flu shot. no reaction at all. sometimes I get a sore arm. no discomfort from covid. I hope immigrants do their part and get vaccinated. the bigger problem is the anti vaxxer loonies in this country who refuse vaccinations for their kids. Adults can make their own informed choices but children should not be left out of proper health care. as the % of vaccinated people drops those old diseases return. like possible polio in Gaza. I will never understand what possesses people to refuse vaccines for stupid reasons. my father almost died of diphtheria when he was young. I remember polio. I knew 2 kids who had it and did recover when I was in grade school. . Even adults need boosters for tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough. the DTaP. and shingles!. geez I dont want shingles again. chicken pox was awful and so was shingles. if you haven't had the vaccine, and had chicken pox as a kid, get it! its a series of 2 shots and you may have to pay for it but Im not sure. shingles can be an incredibly painful and debilitating disease. you might not get over it. if you were vaccinated against chicken pox, you never need to worry about shingles so a huge double benefit. Shingles becomes more common with older people whose immune systems are not as good, when the old virus resurrects itself from the nerves and causes true misery. measles too was awful. silly not to take advantage of these medical wonders.

even if its warm out we carry a windbreaker. weighs a couple ounces. I'd rather wear a thin jacket than sunscreen and even when its warm, the wind chill can be surprising.

Last edited:
Saturday I did a 60 minute Peloton ride, Sunday I did a 30 minute Endurance Row and a 30 minute Row Bootcamp and yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. The Row Bootcamp was better than I expected. It was 2 short rowing sections with a total body section in between. The last time I did a Bike Bootcamp it was a little too easy but this was definitely challenging.

Carolyn-Nice job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, Morning Energy practice and Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets, timesaver 5. I need to revisit Strong and Sweaty. That is a such a good series.

Diane Sue- Nice job with CDorner Old School Aerobics, full body mobility stretch, Killer Legs, Raw Kickbox #6 and STS 2.0 Mat yoga. I’m sorry about your e-bike experience. I had no idea they were that heavy. I think my heaviest mountain bike is around 20 lbs or so.

Cathy-Nice job with STS Back and Triceps and STS Legs. I’m with you on not being a cold weather outdoor person.

Hi to Valerie

My mt bikes is heavier, probably 30 lbs. its a hardtail but I need a rack on the back and that weighs several lbs. Judy you are so consistent with the rower and the peloton. I think we made the mistake of getting a water rower. it made too much noise. Dh was sure it would be great. neither of us liked it. we both need to watch something and the sloshing sounds interfered with the soundtrack of everything. it alternated between loud and soft sloshing so the sound needed to be up too high.
I did a 15 min spin and stacked upper body yesterday plus therapy. today I did therapy so far and will do another short spin and some upper body weights.

its way colder in the midwest than it is here. here it tends to be 40 and cloudy, occasionally we get teens and 20's but not regularly. some years not at all.

ETA today I did another 15 on the spin bike and 15 on the elliptical and assorted upper body weights but not a formal workout, and stretches.

Last edited:
Valerie-Thank you. I ended up liking the rower more than I thought I would and I probably use it as much or more than Chris does now. Nice job with the spin, stacked upper body and therapy.

Today was another medical appointment so I didn’t get to work out. One of us has some type of appointment every week this month. These are mostly my husband’s appointments, but I have to accompany him.

Diane Sue, great job with Killer Legs,Raw Kickboxing #6, and STS 2.0 Mat Yoga. I’m glad that you weren’t hurt from that bike falling.

Judy, great job with the 60 minute Peloton ride and 30 minutes of Endurance Row Bootcamp. Strong and Sweaty is a good series.

Valerie, nice job with 15 minutes of spinning and Stacked Sets Upper Body.

Hello to Cathy.

Today I did STS 2 Total Body Supersets mix of Upper only with calves, 51 minutes, 132 calories, heart rate 91/132 followed by STS 2 mini ball abs, 12 minutes, 28 calories and finishing with STS 2 mobility #1, 18 minutes, 27 calories. Total time was 81 minutes, 187 calories. I have to get in bed. We were up at 4:45 this morning. I am so tired. I have my arthritis appointment in the morning so probably no work out.

My husband put heavy racks on both of the e bikes. I was thinking maybe if he took the battery off the bike it would help. It weighs over 30 lb I think.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. That was 26 minutes, 182 calories, 132 average heart rate, and 168 maximum heart rate.

Diane Sue, great job with STS 2.0 Total Body Supersets upper only, mini ball abs, and Mobility 1. I never realized that electric bikes are so heavy.

Hello to Valerie, Cathy, and Judy.

We can't mt bike at the tree farm right now. closed for a few weeks for hunting. so we rode the neighborhood today between rain showers. 40 min, 5 miles. its not flat so its worth a ride. I've been doing upper body things almost every day so just therapy core work today.

came across the Redbull Rampage, a mt biking competition down a fairly incredible "route" in Utah. it is amazing what these daredevils do or attempt to do, both men and women. this is only for fun if you like to see the kind of stunts these folks dream up. I cant imagine ever doing anything even vaguely remotely like this. at any time in my life! makes me think of extreme skiing, when people fly off cliffs going down mountains.

Last edited:
Today I did Pyramid Upper Body (Intensity series), up only premix. My time was 45 minutes with 139 calories burned. My average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate 131.

Valerie, that Redbull Rampage sounds crazy!

Hello to Diane Sue, Cathy, and Judy.

Tuesday I did ICE Muscle Meltdowns Triceps, Back & Shoulders. Yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton Ride and today was an active rest day. I worked 6 hours and did 40 minutes of Yin Yoga tonight.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Quick Fix, workout one and Pyramid Upper Body, up only premix. I really like the original Pyramid workout. I need to do that one again soon.

Diane Sue-Great job with STS 2.0 Total Body Supersets upper only, mini ball abs, and Mobility 1. I hope your doctor appointment went well.

Valerie-Nice job with your ride and upper body work. The Redbull Rampage sounds like it would be exciting to watch. I used to like to watch downhill mountain bike racing back in the late 90’s.

Hi to Cathy

Reactions: WD
Let me say the short bit of the redbull rampage I had time to watch was absolutely crazy! I have no clue how anyone can do anything like that. someday soon while its raining and I have some time I will look at more of it. Judy its far crazier than the 90's. how any of these people lived to be 30 is beyond me.

our TV suddenly died today. was fine last night but turned it on to watch a great course at noon, and the screen was crazy green zigzags. its an old plasma bought in 2007. its big and heavy, nothing like current LEDs. really, weighs 150 lbs of awkwardness. DH wanted to put it in the basement but I said, no, if we put it down there we have to struggle downstairs with it, and then bring it back up. so I held out for the garage because we will be motivated to get it moved out. not getting much so far. wont go to landfill so looking for electronics recyclers who do TVs. this cant be hard, everyone has tvs that die. meanwhile, we went back to costco an hour after I had come back from there with groceries, and bought a new one. most are too big, we didnt want more than 55 in. much lighter. terrible set up directions but we got it done. new tvs have crummy audio systems. the tv itself is such a lightweight little shell, how could it support decent speakers? anyway, job more or less done. will try earlier tomorrow to see where the old one goes.

Reactions: WD
Today I did Raw Box & Pump #8, 39 minutes, 171 calories, heart rate 123/150. I added Raw Ab Finisher, 18 minutes, 87 calories and finished with Raw Yoga Stretch, 14 minutes, 23 calories. Total time 71 minutes, 281 calories. I am not sure if I will get a workout in the morning. It depends on what time my grandchildren come. I want to be free to enjoy them this weekend. I have a busy but enjoyable weekend with family.
I got my flu shot and the doctor gave me a steroid injection. The doctor said something about the lining around my ribs may be inflamed because of the rheumatoid arthritis. My pain has moved around a lot over the last couple of months. I go back in 3 months and he may give me a stronger med. The one he mentioned on my visit page worries me. Sounds like the same thing as methatrexate which I told him I did not want in the past. If the steroid helps everything then it is the arthritis and probably not something else.

Valerie, this e bike is bulky. My husband did get a rack that I think lifts up somehow specific for the bikes. We may see if we can take a loss and trade it for something smaller and lighter. Our large tv we bought around 11 years ago is going to go one of these days. It will suddenly go out and sound will just blast at us all of a sudden or it has none. We got rid of the sound bar system that had a place for an ipod or iphone for music. None would fit it now. Nice work on the ride today. I always wonder when I watch some of those videos of people doing tricks and jumps and flips on bikes and wonder how many trips they had to make to the er.

Judy, nice job on Tuesday's ICE Muscle Meltdowns Triceps, Back & Shoulders, yesterday's I 30 minute Peloton Ride and today's 40 minutes of Yin Yoga tonight.

Carolyn, good job on Intensity Pyramid Upper Body Up only premix today.

Hi to Cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.