Pentagenarians & Beyond 1/09

We saw one once 40 yrs ago but not well. I only got a glimpse of this one from 100 yds thru trees before he flew but I was pretty sure it was a great gray… their head profile looks like “half dome” in Yosemite. I’ve seen many great horned and would not work THIS hard to see one
Dh thought I was crazy and kept working on the cut down tree. I went downhill searching thru the forest. finding an owl in the forest is not easy!. There were two crows flying around and landing up high in the cedars so I thought they were maybe "mobbing" him. That’s where I looked, below the crows, but trees are huge cedars 200 feet tall. We have dense forest, while next door neighbor has a cleared pasture with a fence. I saw the owl on the fence post against the trees only 10-15 feet away. We looked at each other and he was unconcerned. . I backed up and went to get DH. He didn’t believe me yet! So brought him down and re-found the owl. Now he believed me. Dh stayed while I hiked back up to the house and got the phone and then back down. we got great pics. Don’t know how to get them on this site. I will send them if you send me a pm with your email or phone. we feel like we cant top this for a find. snowy owls are not common but we've seen dozens of those tho not for a few years. the great gray not that rare a bird to see but mainly in the mountains much further east.
all the up and down hill and dragging tree limbs was my exercise for the day.

Last edited:
This morning I did Hard Strikes, no conditioning premix. That was 34 minutes with 211 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Valerie, nice work with Stacked Sets Upper Body. Cutting down a tree is definitely a big job. That’s wonderful that you saw a Great Gray Owl.

Cathy, great job with IMAX 3 intervals.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Went xc skiing this morning. not that cold and snow was not great but Ok. we have some new climbing skins we needed to test out. the road was very messy with a lot of downed trees and branches. we went for an hour and headed back. we got to a really bad section and bagged the whole idea. this road won't work this year, way too messy with debris. if we could drive up the road with a saw it would be manageable but a gated road so it would all be manual. can't xc ski and carry a chain saw.

This morning I did a version of Boss Bands Glutes and Core that I put together for when I want something shorter. Not using my alarm until Monday, so I slept in and got a late start to my day. If you can call 6:45 a late start. LOL

Valerie, Sorry to hear your xc skiing today didn't go well.

Carolyn great job with Hard Strikes!

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon I did a 90 minute Peloton ride. It felt good to get a longer workout in. Last night I did the XTrain 100 rep challenges for triceps, shoulder raises and scarecrows and today is a rest day. I'm off the next 3 days and hope to get some good workouts in. It's going to be so cold that we probably won't want to go anywhere. We are picking up the Bronco next week.

Carolyn-Great job with XTrain Legs and Hard Strikes!

Valerie-Nice job with Stacked Upper Body and the xc skiing. Awesome that you saw a Great Gray Owl!

Cathy-Great job with your version of Boss Bands Glutes and Core!

Hi to Diane Sue

this morning we had a 30 day clearance from microsoft from when our email got all jammed up in AZ. had to do with our phone number, as it was set up long ago so it was our land line number and even tho we still have the number it isn't acceptable these days and caused the jam up, at least thats what we think. so changed it to our cell number. it happened right as I was sending the owl pics, of course! the security approval jammed up all our mobile devices again, plus there was an apple updater last night too. it shows the pics 'went". but if they didn't I can resend. I'm assuming your normal life cannot continue without seeing my owl pics!

going to road ride this morning even tho its a bit cold. will keep it to 15 miles max, see how it feels. this is an out and back ride so if too cold/icy, we can turn around sooner.

judy I need to look at those 100 rep challenges. there is so much material on dvds that I am sure I missed a lot. I dont even remember seeing those. I would not do 100 scarecrows for anything.

cathy ...take down your email from the regular thread here, security issues being what they are these days. I'm not a spammer but they lurk everywhere. the ski was not bad really, but it's disappointing to find so much debris on a route that it can't be fixed. the FS will eventually get to it but will wait until it's all melted out and they can do the whole road. we know there is electronic monitoring station up at the top from late spring bike rides there.

This morning I did XTrain Burn Sets Bis and Tris. My time was 40 minutes with 161 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Cathy, great job with your version of Boss Bands Glutes and Core. You can send Valerie a private message that can’t be seen by everyone.

Judy, great job with your long Peloton ride and the 100 rep challenge. I have never done any of the 100 rep challenges. Just the thought of them sent me running!

Valerie, I hope that your ride goes well today. I’m with you on the scarecrows. I go very light and I don’t do many of them.

Hello to Diane Sue.

This morning I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. This afternoon I will do some strength training. It's so cold that I don't plan on going anywhere. Maybe tomorrow or Monday if it gets a little warmer.

Valerie-I hope you have a good ride. The XTrain DVDs have so much material on them. I still feel like I haven't done as much with that series as I could. I really like the 100 rep challenges. You can take short (30 seconds) breaks after the first 30-35 reps. For triceps I'm using 5 lbs and have been feeling pretty good DOMS the day after. I might go up to 6 lbs this week. For shoulder raises I use 3-4 lbs and for the scarecrows I started with 2 and went down to 1 lb. I'm really careful with those but I do think they are helping to strengthen my rotator cuff, especially on my right side. (I've also been doing the yoga tune ups for that issue). If my shoulder is really bothering me I won't do the scarecrow move.

Carolyn-Great job with Burn Sets Bis and Tris. The only 100 rep challenge I haven't done is the hip thrust one. The thought of that one sends me running! I'm sure I would throw my low back out if I did 100 reps of those, even without much weight.

Hi to Cathy & Diane Sue

we did out 15 mile ride this morning. it was cold , 37 degrees, but warmed up some while we were riding . still nothing close to warm. no ice. sunny out and that brought a lot of people. I swear, parents seem to have zero brain cells functioning. they wander on this trail with kids and strollers and dogs and let their children stand in the middle of the trail. I don't want to hit their kid and I'm sure they don't want me to hit their kid but they do nothing to reel in wandering toddlers. there is no speed slow enough to safely go past an unsupervised 2 year old, and on a bike the grassy sides are soft mud that is killer for bike tires.

My shoulders aren't that fussy, but scarecrows always feel "off" a little.... like the move is fine by itself but not with much weight. I do them if part of a workout but no way am I doing a rep challenge. same for hip thrusts. a few are fine. a 100, no way. I am going to look at x train again and see what else Ive missed. I would try a rep challenge with many other moves.

This morning I did Live Low Impact Cardio Hiit. I really need to start working out when I get up.I did that for a long time, but I just can’t pull it off regularly these days. By the time I’ve done my water, breakfast, tea routine it’s late enough that I have to talk myself into it. It’s not even all that late, but somehow the earlier it’s done the more likely it is to get done. And it’s not like there’s anyone else but me stopping me from doing it!

Valerie thanks for the pics. I edited the post. Security issues with all types of devices are just a PITA. I understand why they are needed, but do they have to make them so complicated, and I swear if I have to create another password for something, I’ll scream. I already have a couple sites, that if my fingerprint automatic unlocking ever doesn’t work, I’m out of luck because I don’t know what they are. You gotta have a capital letter, a lower case letter, a number, a symbol… dodging kids is not fun. I have never understood parents who don’t keep an eye on both their kids and their surroundings.

Judy, I think I said before I’ve never done any of those 100 Rep challenges. I might be able to manage 1 lb. weights. In regular workouts that have them, I use 3’s or 5’s, but for 100 reps, that is not happening! Great job with the Peloton ride.

Carolyn great job with the Burn Sets, Bi’s and tri’s!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.