Pentagenarians and Beyond Week beg 7/28

garance

Cathlete
Hi everyone--

Since Deb hasn't started us off, I thought I would. This is so unusual, I hope Deb is okay (?).

This morning I did XTrain legs barre, ball, chair, and floorwork (48:33). I also took Max for a walk last night.

Yesterday was beautiful here, so I managed to do housemax and some gardening. Today it's very humid and off and on drizzle.

Glad your ankle is okay, Lori! Wow, Judy, I cannot believe your workouts.

My son is coming from Boston for tonight. His ACL surgery is now almost 2 weeks, and he's doing great.

Good afternoon!

Yes hoping all is well with Deb!

Weather has been nice here too Garance! Glad your son is doing well and home for a visit.

Bob and I just came back from pool. No swimming for me though. Water needs to warm up a bit before I go in. Yesterday morning I did RIDE and then walked Chester 3.25 miles. This morning was another walk and this evening I am planning a heavy bag workout. Been since right before STS since I have used the heavy bag.

Judy, your workouts are crazy insane! I have tons of energy but you beat me hands down! I enjoyed watching Cathe's live stream when I was able to catch them. She mentioned she was going to start to have this as a feature to her website and charge a small fee per stream or a monthly fee. I thought this was interesting.

Valerie, great job on getting back on the bike and then going 22 miles. Good for you. Is the hand numbness new?

Hope you are getting around well Josie!

Have a great evening

Computer Crapped out

Hi,

Well all the issues with my desktop computer just kept getting worse to the point that it would not rum at all. went to Best Buy and got a new one They are setting it up, getting all my files etc to the new one so I am using the iPad which I don't usually use

Garance, glad your son is doing well. Max has to be loving the walks.

Lori, I watched one of the Cathe streaming workouts (before the Crash) but it was taped, not live...still was so cool to see!.

Josie, will go over to read your post...I don't know how to do that without getting off the site here....etc,,with the desktop you just open another session, but I haven't figured out how to do that on the iPad.

Hi to Valerie & Judy,

Off to do something for dinner....take care

Deb....when using my Ipad like I am now I do not use the cathe app. I find it easier to go to forums thru Cathe.com. Then I save to my home page. This way while on my Ipad it looks just like my desk top which is easier to move around and allows more features than the Ipad app. Does this make sense?

Hi Everyone,

I had a little extra energy last night, after watching the 15 minutes of fame segment of the road trip, so I did Xtrain Bi's & Tri's. I usually don't work out that late, it was after 10 when I finished. Today I was really tired and sore and decided to take a rest day from exercise.
DH and I finished part of the work on FIL's deck today. Next week we'll have to seal it. While we were doing that, SIL and BIL went to watch the Tigers baseball game at Comerica park. :confused:

Deb-sorry about your computer. It's nice to get a new one though and I hope you have good luck with it. I have the Cathe forum app on my phone but don't use it much.

Lynda-we've had rain and cooler temps here this weekend. It feels like fall today.
Glad to hear your son is doing well after the ACL surgery

Lori-I had a little more energy Friday and yesterday, but definitely not today! I am taking it easy now :)

Josie-you are right about moving the handlebars. DH put a new stem on my mountain bike and it moved the handlebars up just a little. That seems to have taken some of the pressure off of my hands. I've only ridden with the new stem twice now but it does seem to make a difference.
Valerie-maybe that would work for you too.

Judy

Good morning,

Today I did CArdio Coach # 4 35 minutes. Yesterday I did 35 minutes of STS disk 4.

Lori, I use the regular Cathe siite too, I don"t like the app either. I still can't figure out how to have 2 sessions going at the same time, I did save the site to the desktop though so I can get to it easily.

Judy, I can see hoe you would need a rest day!

Valerie, never had that problem with the new bike which is more upright, but do remember my habds bothering me with my old 10 speed where I was really bent over when riding.

off to gt some breakfast....will check back later...take care

I've always had problems with my hands getting numb but it seems to be getting worse not better. I used to ride with some kind of foam on the bars themselves but then gloves started having padding. one pair I have seemed to help a lot at first but they're a few years old and maybe the foam has lost its cushioning. we changed the tilt on my handlebars and I got some new gloves with more padding. I can move my hands to several positions but no position seems to prevent the numbness. it was a big part of the reason for the crash. my rt hand was so numb I didn't think I could use it and was "shaking it out" when a car appeared suddenly and I braked with only one hand, hence the crash. left hand controls front brakes, rt hand the rear, and I only braked in the front. not a good plan.
If the gloves don't help then I will go back to the shop and see if they can add a ring to the headset to raise it a touch to see if that helps. the problem is I need to ride at least a half hour-1 hr before I start having a problem and then it's almost constant, so it's not something I can tell in a few minutes of riding around a parking lot. if I stop riding it goes away immediately.

we had dinner guests last night so cleaning and cooking yesterday and stayed up later than usual. I sure have trouble sleeping afterwards and feel all wrung out the next day. we may give kayaking a try today as it's a weekday and there's no wind. my knee looks terrible... all kinds of rainbow colors but nothing where I banged it. all the color appeared downhill from there.

I put the cathe forums on my phone but I have to say the tiny phone screen and I don't get along well. seems like more aggravation than anything. I had the weight watcher app on it too and same thing. just too tiny with the teensy keyboard. rather not fuss with it. my weight is steady but not losing any more. I may sign up for another go at it soon but will wait a little while. DH's last day of work is tomorrow....my life is about to change a LOT!!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (44:39). No walk last night because of rain.

Have any of you been watching the HBO series Veep? It's absolutely hilarious and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is wonderful. Colbert's joke about the new royal baby's name is that the parents are Seinfeld fans. George for George Costanza, Alexander for Jason Alexander, and Louis for Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

You're so reliable, Deb, I was worried something had happened. Glad it was just computer glitches--annoying but fixable.

I've been asked to write a piece (for $$$) on the Alien tetralogy--all four films--and if I have anything to say about Prometheus, specifically predictions. So I guess I will start watching them again and have a few nightmares. Funny--I predicted there would be a sequel in the piece I wrote about Aliens, and I was spot-on about both Newt and Ripley being impregnated.

ttfn

Just a quick note-
Lynda thanks for the tip! I just downloaded an episode of Veep on Amazon and it's hilarious! I haven't watched TV in years but I always liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Judy

Hi Ladies,

I did the upper body premis from muscle max this morning and will do my ab workout before I go to bed. I know that I'm going to be sore tomorrow :)

Garance, I would love to read the article once its published. I'm a big fan of the Alien movies except for Prometheus, I could not get into that one.

Hi to Lori, Judy, Deb and Valerie!

Josie

Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. My DH did not sleep very well which made me not sleep very well! Alarm went off and my workout was not happening.

Tonight though I did t25 total body then walked chester 3miles. So all is good. :)

Garance...that's great about writing the article and getting paid to do so. Very nice indeed!

Valerie...when I used to ride my hand always got numb. Drove me crazy. Hope you can find something that works considering all the biking you do. Does your DH have any numbing? Funny about your life changing!!!!! It most certainly will!! Weird that your knee is all bruised but not where you banged it. Still amazing no broken bones.

Josie..so great that you are still working out your upper body and abs.

Deb...I wish you luck with your no computer. I hate buying new computers. They are so expensive and then in a few years become obsolete!

Judy..I enjoyed watching the cathe streams and breezed thru all of them last night.

Same here with the cathe app on my Phone. It is just way to small for me to wantbto spend any time on it!

Have a great evening!

Good morning all.

We picked up my new computer before going to class last night so we didn't have time to set it up. That will be tonight's challenge.

Valerie, I'm with you on the small phone type screens....I don't know how people do stuff on them either. I like the iPad, but really prefer a desk top computer to do any serious work. I am so much faster on that, probably because I work on one all day at work.

Lori, well the hard drive on my old computer did not pass the diagnostic tests, so would need to buy a new one for it for it to work....I have the tech support plan so it would only be the price of the part ($60)....It could be used as a back up I guess...I may offer it to my cousin if she wants to put the money into it...hers is even older than this one...the new one I have is Windows 8....ever hear the horror stories about that? it was developed to use with a touch screen, so I hear using a mouse can be challenging....:)

Garance, I would love to read your article, however not knowing anything about the films it would not mean anything to me. A great compliment to you that you were asked to write it!

Hi to Judy & Josie,

Take care,

Good morning all.

We picked up my new computer before going to class last night so we didn't have time to set it up. That will be tonight's challenge.

Valerie, I'm with you on the small phone type screens....I don't know how people do stuff on them either. I like the iPad, but really prefer a desk top computer to do any serious work. I am so much faster on that, probably because I work on one all day at work.

Lori, well the hard drive on my old computer did not pass the diagnostic tests, so would need to buy a new one for it for it to work....I have the tech support plan so it would only be the price of the part ($60)....It could be used as a back up I guess...I may offer it to my cousin if she wants to put the money into it...hers is even older than this one...the new one I have is Windows 8....ever hear the horror stories about that? it was developed to use with a touch screen, so I hear using a mouse can be challenging....:)

Garance, I would love to read your article, however not knowing anything about the films it would not mean anything to me. A great compliment to you that you were asked to write it!

Hi to Judy & Josie,

Take care,

Deb, good luck with the computer woes. I haven't heard much about windows 8 yet. both DH and I have 7 on our desktops though his is giving him problems lately and acting like it's got a serious issue. Today is his last day!
the tiny screens... I am always touching something I didn't intend to touch. and forget typing with my thumbs. my hands are not aligned so that would ever be possible. I can type pretty well on a standard key board even.

Lynda, that's fantastic. I read the first article you wrote and learned a few things I'd missed. "Monstrous Mothers" something? I read it but could never find a way to get it to print. I never got thru Prometheus but DH did. In fact even the third one I found really tedious and don't remember if I made it all the way thru.

we went kayaking yesterday but not that much fun. the weather was Ok though started getting a little windy after we paddled out a ways. I'm really squirrely on water, not sure I'll ever relax. the paddling is a good upper body workout. not difficult, but endurance. I guess if we saw anything interesting it might be better, but so far not much. partly the season and time of day, but high tide was mid day so that's when we had to go. need to be able to launch from a boat ramp and most are not workable at lower tide levels. we will try some more places during august. it's also good for us to avoid areas with lots of power boats since they leave quite a wake and that is unnerving in a kayak.

Lori, DH has some problems with numb hands. he got some heavily padded gloves and changed the angle of the handlebar. I'm trying the same approach.

I'll see if Veep shows up on Netflix yet. we're watching a short series called Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslet that's a HBO production. It's quite good and 2 disks long. there's a lot of quality stuff coming out from HBO and Showtime it seems. we don't get them on our cable.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did XTrain ch, ba, and sh (51:16).

Josie, if you are interested in my first piece, I think you can find it at JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I totally agree with you both about the third one on the penal colony, and I was disappointed to see my predictions come true about both Ripley (now pregnant with an Alien queen) and dead Newt, who was ripped apart by a regular alien. Prometheus was disappointing, although, predictably, there is an alien pregnancy, this time aborted in time to save the heroine. Alien Resurrection (#4) was really over the top, with multiple Ripley clones. I think I may take an even more overtly political stance this time, given all the crazy laws being passed depriving women of control over their own bodies.

Judy, you are welcome! Veep is such a wonderful and satiric sendup of our politicians as craven narcissists (Weiner anyone?), and all of the characters are distinctive. Valerie, I bet you can get it on Netflix for season 1 if Judy can get it on Amazon.

Deb, I have always been a horror film fan. My BFF and I would go to the movies every weekend and the scarier the better. I am thinking of seeing the Conjuring, which is supposed to be a real fright-fest.

Garance,

I also love horror films. I used to stay up at night all by myself and watch tale late show.

Josie

Josie, I wish I could see the Conjuring with you. DH will definitely not go with me, and my BFF is in Albuquerque.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.