Pentagenarians and Beyond W/B 10/11

garance

Cathlete
Hi everyone--

This morning I did the legs with contrast training and the premix with intermittent abs (53:10).

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. It's beautiful here with gorgeous foliage, and it's even going up into the 70s tomorrow. DH and I had a lovely anniversary dinner last night at our favorite place.

Judy, that website was fantastic. I went to a tutorial on youtube with David Cox. Watched it on my PC while doing all of the steps on my MacBook Pro. Thanks so much! I will still get some help from IT here to transfer all my files, but I learned so much about my new laptop.

Deb, hope your Potomac cruise is beautiful.

Hi to Lori in sunny Cancun!

Hi Josie and Valerie!

Hi Everyone,

Last night I did STS Disc 25, Chest & Back. I got a late start so was kind of tired and ended up taking advantage of the longer breaks. Next workout I will probably add core work in.
The weather here is very nice. We went to the apple orchard and took some photos today. We always send SIL a gift from there in the fall. DH started doing that after she moved to Colorado 25 years ago and has done it every year since.

Lynda-I'm so glad that the found the website helpful. I've spent quite a lot of time on it too and have learned so much about my Apple products. He is very good at what he does and has probably saved me several visits to the genius bar.

Deb & Lori-Hope you are having great vacations!

Hi to Valerie & Josie!

Judy

Judy I need to look at that site too. we're halfway between apple and windows.... android phone, windows desktops, windows laptop, but ipad, ipod, apple TV are newer. we were just struggling with the ipod trying to play podcasts thru our truck sound system. figured it out after we got home. even simple things are not intuitive for me.... or us, actually. plus the truck is a few years old and vehicle sound systems change rapidly. we hope to transition to apple completely. a good source for help is something I will need.
I want to congratulate you on working your way thru STS. I did it several times and maybe (??)will do it again. I have a ways to go after this long lay off, but I feel better every time I increase weight, or add in something new that I wasn't sure I'd be able to do again.

I did bi's and tri's and core 1 yesterday. a premix, but I increased weight on almost every move. a little doms today. this morning we did our regular 26 mile trail ride. we also are having a nice day, warm and sunny after downpour rain and wind yesterday.

we are rewatching Fargo before we watch the new season.
finished TGW and started the next season of HOC. neither of us remember it well and were fumbling around trying to recall where things were left off.

Good evening from beautiful Cancun!!!

No workout yesterday with all the getting up early and travel. Today I brought my ipad to the gym and did a crazy workout all cathe live. Metabolic then some kickboxing then some lower band and ended with standing abs. Was about 70 mins and it felt great! Unfortunately, with all the food and alcohol I have consumed today it should have been a 3 hour workout! Oh well tomorrow is another day!!!

Lynda...right now we are watching the Pats in the sports bar. Fun afternoon!

Judy..thanks for the link. I will certainly use this from time to time. You are making me want to do STS again!

Valerie...we never finished season 1 of Fargo. Not sure why as we enjoyed watching it.

Deb...have gun in DC!!

Hi to Josie!

Today was absolutely beautiful here in Cancun. Tomorrow the plan is jet skiing or snorkeling. We are not sure which. Oh the decisions!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Tonight I did a modified version of disc 37, squat rack legs and 20 minutes of core work and stretching.

Valerie-thank you! I am so happy that I stayed with STS this long. Now that I am into Meso 3 I know I will finish. I am starting to think about doing STS again, and hopefully doing better the next time. I feel like this is kind of a trial run and the next time I will have a better idea of what I am doing.
We are the same way with Apple and Windows. DH is a Windows guy and all of our computers are Windows, except for my MacBook. If it was up to me everything would be Apple, but DH isn't ready to give up his pc for a Mac. Although he was really looking at them the last time we were at the Apple Store so you never know..

Lori-It sounds like you had a great workout!

Hi to Deb, Josie & Lynda

Judy

Hi from the Nation's Capitol!

The trip to Mt Vernon was great. The "mansion" was a little smaller than it looks in pictures, or even from the boat on the Potomac. Lts of interesting info on GW and Martha! :),

Today we are going to Old Town (Alaxandria, Va) where there are shops and things, with buildings that have been around ince colonial times.

Tomorrow is our anniversary, not sure what we will do yet,

Take care,

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Drill Max (63 min.)

Happy Anniversary Deb! I love D.C. because of all the free museums and historical monuments. Never been to Alexandria though.

Judy, it must feel good to be on the final meso of STS. Who knows--maybe by the time you are done ICE will be released.

Lori, it sounds like you are enjoying la dolce vita--the sweet life--in Cancun.

Valerie, I will be curious to hear how you like the new season of HOC. I found it rather slow and confusing in terms of character development.

Gorgeous fall day here, and our younger son showed up to play golf today, so we will be having a cookout with some of the beef filets from DH's freezer.

Hi to Josie!

, Happy anniversary to the two of you!
Judy, I didn't keep notes on how I did STS, but as I remember, I took 6 months to do it. I know I did some of the meso cycles more than once, maybe 3 times. somehow I expected myself to remember??? Fat chance. . I did the whole thing 2x at least.
We've had the ipod forever but never used it much. there was one program on it that DH used for work so it was always at his office. we've loaded pod casts onto it now and wanted to listen while driving. unfortunately we could not get it to sync with the truck audio system. I hate anything in my ears so won't use head phones/ ear buds. anyway, we figured it out after we got home. just a minor detail. we're going on another short trip tomorrow, so will try once again.

It's funny how some series I remember well, like Fargo, and others, like HOC are foggy. the relationships are more complicated in HOC, who screwed over whom to get to where they are, etc. I can't remember what Doug had going on with the girl who hit him and ran. we've only seen 2 episodes so far.
Lynda, drill Max is a tough one. I have it but haven't looked at it in ages. rainy today, so I will something indoors, not sure what.

ETA I did a Flextrain premix ( 47) with abs. I didn't agonize over weight, used 5's throughout, except for the rows where I used 25's. Didn't seem too hard, so will go to 8's next time. I think bending in squats and lunges is helping my knee which is not happy the last month or two. I didn't want to overdo legs because we will be riding and hiking the next few days so skipped the band work.
Lori Have fun in Cancun. Watch Fargo when you get back. It is such a good series. a terrific ending. I am enjoying it a second time as I didn't remember all the twists and turns. I'm not clear yet on whether the second season depends on having seen the first season. probably not as much as HOC.

ETA also that DH is doing a disk from STS regularly. we both found out the hard way that even heavy yard work and a lot of riding do NOT do a good enough job to keep you in shape. maybe it's variety of movements that make a weight program so much better. I guess you don't use all the muscle you think, or some groups exclusively, while others get neglected in "chores". I also liked reading the comparison between long distance runners and sprinters in the weekly newsletter. so right, they sure look different, sprinters look so much better while most long distance runners are certainly are fit but look thin and wasted.

Last edited:
Hi everyone--

This morning I did Flex Train (56:36).

I finally finished a new Christmas stocking for my older son. His first one was thrown out during the chaos surrounding his divorce. Plus the Christmas ornaments we sent every year, thinking they would at some point celebrate their own Christmas. This new one was really complicated--a kit by Ann Norling with all kinds of little doodads and duplicate stitching.

Lori, I hope you do some snorkeling. I have very vivid memories of how beautiful those tropical fish were. The water at Cancun is also sooo blue--very different from the grey Atlantic.

Valerie, I loved the first season of Fargo. The new season started last night, but I just recorded it and will watch it later--maybe tonight if the debate is boring. (The nice--maybe entertaining is a better word--thing about the Republican debates is that they are so crazy, it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.) It is set much earlier, and I think I read that the woman deputy's father from the first season mentions something disastrous that happens in this season of the show.

Foliage here is really beautiful. I hope it doesn't rain and get very windy and blow it all away.

Hi to Deb, Judy, and Josie!

Hi Ladies,

I did not workout on Monday and yesterday I only worked out with Karina and this morning I went for a 3 mile run with my BF. It was 74 degrees at 6:30 and by the time we finished we were soaking wet. I came home took a shower but I'm still sweating like crazy :(

Deb, happy belated anniversary! I also love DC.

Lori, I know that you are having a great time in Cancun. I wish I were there with you :)

Garance and Valerie, I hope that Fargo is as good as the first season.

Judy, congratulation on sticking with STS.

Valerie, when I used to run marathons I would sign myself in the Clydesdale division because of my weight (140-160). They did not believe that I was 150 pounds and would alway weigh me.

Josie

Hi everyone--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb gloves (55:15).

Josie that sounds like July at the Jersey Shore. Crank up the AC. That IS funny--a Clydesdale division!? At least you were being honest. I wouldn't want to sign up for a division named after those gigantic horses advertising beer.

Never got around to watching Fargo last night. I actually watched most of the debate and found it interesting. Anderson Cooper was an excellent moderator.

Hope everyone (except poor Josie) is enjoying good fall weather or a fun-filled vacation!

Good morning,

It was a nice trip, but glad to be home. On Tuesday, we went to the Department of Engraving & Printing, and saw all the $$$$ being made. Very interesting. It was great seeing everyone, and the weather could not have been better, but this will probably be our last trip to DC.

Lori, "Miss Fun in the Sun"......I want to go back to Mexico!

Judy, great job on STS...I am amazed that you are already talking about doing it again.. It will be a long time before I give up my Windows desktop computer. I guess all those years of sitting at a desk with a normal keyboard and large screen did it to me.

Lynda, sorry about the Christmas stocking and ornaments being tossed....but you will make a new start with the stocking you are making now.

Valerie, you need to get a new Subaru with blue tooth for your iPod and phone etc! :).

Josie, I would not like the "fall" weather you are having, but will trade you for your "winters"....LOL.

Our new range/stove is being delivered today, fingers crossed that it fits in the space!

Take care,

We are on our way back. Some very NICE riding. One more ride today. Too close to Canada and our signal gets all tweaked around. Can't use our connection too much and lose our signal. Getting into Canada data gets expensive especially because we're not IN Canada. Right across the water from Victoria.

Too funny! Clydesdale division! I,would be there too.. Kind of MEAN really. You don't look like a draft horse at all.

Deb our iPod issue is not fixed, away from home, the iPod won't work. It's our truck,not a car and is 2009electronics have changed. Our 2014 Subaru we didn't Get a fancy electronics package on it either I don't talk on the phone while driving and don't use gps much. hope the new stove fits. And that you like it.

Watched HOC but not following the international diplomacy story line very well. The bathroom stall scene was bizarre.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did LIC (68:00).

I finally watched the first episode of Fargo. It is going to be goooood, but also as violent as the first season. It is set back in the 1970s.

Spent most of the day driving over to Albany with DH, so he could buy a new used truck. Took forever for him to check it over, and then there were too many things that needed to be fixed, so it's a good thing I waited around for him. I thought I would be following him back, but then I started fooling around with the GPS on my IPhone, and I did get her telling me directions. We let her talk on the way home, but her directions would have taken me into all kinds of traffic jams. We also think her maps may be dated. I will have to find out from my genius sons how to update the maps. Ultimately, I didn't mind the drive because the foliage is at its peak and it's a super-beautiful day for leaf-peeping.

Valerie, I have podcasts saved on my Ipad, and just play them from the Ipad. The Russian and Middle East thing in HOC struck me as being prophetic of what is going on now in Syria. Sort of a ripped from the headlines kind of thing.

I am currently reading the new biography of Ted Hughes. It's already causing a lot of controversy. The never-ending story of Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath and his children, mistresses, still-living crazy sister and pissed-off second wife.

Good morning & Happy Friday!

The stove is great, fits perfectly and I like it a lot. Lots of "bells & whistles" that I need to learn about.

Valerie, yep, you don't want to use any phone or electronics in Canada.....very costly. My Blackberry ( when I was working) would give me a warning as soon as we crossed the border and ask if I wanted to continue with "roaming".....No Thanks! As for the Blue Tooth option, I would get it again, I like it a lot. Not just for the phone use, but I have music playlists on my phone that work with the BT really well. I did not get the GPS navigation system, it was too expensive. We have a portable Garmin that we take on trips or if we are going somewhere where we are not sure of directions.

Lynda, I keep checking Prime to see if the first season of Fargo is free yet....it's not. It's amazing what shows are free on there and which aren't. Even going back to the old ones....I tried to watch an old classic series ( forgot which at the moment) and was surprised that it was not free. Sometimes the directions on the GPS are all out of whack too....takes you way out of your way. We connect it to the desktop computer, go to the Garmin site and it updates it for all the highway changes, and construction etc.

Hi to Josie, Judy and Lori,

Any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Hi everyone--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (44:39).

Deb, I recommend a PBS series called Endeavour. There's a pilot and two seasons. This is a youthful Inspector Morse, if you know who that is from the PBS series (which is, unfortunately, not on Prime). The second season ends with a cliffhanger, so I'm pretty sure there will be a third season. It's really good. Individual mysteries solved in each 90 minute episode through very good sleuthing by Endeavour, which is apparently Morse's first name.

Plans for this weekend? I will probably go see The Martian which has had some great reviews. A Ridley Scott film with Matt Damon. I have been putting it off because it's so long--2 hrs and 22 min.

Final Farmer's Market for DH tomorrow, and the weather sounds cold. Brrrr!

Hi Everyone,

This week went fast! DH was on vacation Mon-Thursday. We didn't go anywhere, just worked on things around the condo. We did get out for a short bike ride on Tuesday, which was nice.

I got all of my Meso 3 workouts in this week. Wednesday I did disc 27- SBT; yesterday I did a combination workout, part of Turbo Barre, 1 segment of Core Max, Medicine Ball Abs, & XTrain Core 2. Today I did a modified version of STS disc 26, Plyo Legs. I decided to add that as one of my cardio workouts for Meso 3.

Deb-glad your stove fits! It sounds nice! No special plans for the weekend here.

Valerie-I haven't been taking a lot of notes for STS either. I could probably do a little better in that area. I've already been thinking of what to do instead of Meso 1. An idea I had was to do Muscle Endurance or Muscle Max, 2 or 3 times a week for 2 weeks then start Meso 2.

Lynda-the weather sounds cold here too. I'm not quite ready for it.

Hi to Lori & Josie!

Judy

ps-here's a few recent photos of Chino & Shadow

Attachments

• C&S 101315.jpg
    C&S 101315.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Chino 101415.jpg
    Chino 101415.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Shadow STS .jpg
    Shadow STS .jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 5
Wow ...I type a lot better on a real keyboard.

Judy, I was funny about STS. I religiously recorded every weight I used and if I completed all reps, if I modified anything, things like that, but I didn't bother recording how many times I did STS itself. I spent 2 weeks on each disk the first time and with all the records I can't tell how many times I did it. DH and I did some fantastic mountain biking this trip. really fun and not too easy or too hard. adorable kitty shots. I'm partial to short haired kitties, they are so smooth and sleek. that reminds me to get a shot of Puss up here . he is pretty cute too.

Deb, we have the problem of arriving at the campground with a 4G signal in the afternoon, having no problem checking email etc. but by the next morning we are down to either "no service" and Verizon shows us as 'disconnected" plus offers to sign up for Telus data packages etc. we are careful not to do that. I think one carrier offers free service in Canada and mexico, but it's not verizon.
Deb, season 1 of Fargo is free on Hulu, we're watching it now before we start season 2. it's definitely good enough to watch twice.

My first experiences with GPS were terrible. I bought a portable one and after MANY very wrong directions, I returned it. I'm still very much a map person although I use my phone GPS occasionally for obscure addresses. GPS has improved a lot in cities but not always in rural areas.

Ok, you have to help me out here. when we have the ipod synced we can play the music that's on it. we have a playlist and plays fine, anywhere. are podcasts different? Isn't the podcast loaded into the ipod itself? we are finding it works in our driveway, but once we're away from home it doesn't. does it stream or something if you are in your home signal range? I see that some podcasts seem to have migrated onto the ipad now, although I don't remember us doing that. Lynda, how do you play them from the ipad? do you have a speaker system for it? is this at home? TIA... I am feeling as dumb as a rock here. I'm going to look at the link judy gave us for setting up apple devices

we did a reasonable hike this morning, 4 hours and about 4 miles round trip. saw a huge herd of mountain goats. 18 at least. far away, but they are so white and stand out on steep brown/green hillsides.

Happy Weekend!

Fall is definitely here. It's 36 degrees right now. Time to turn off all the outside water faucets! Yesterday my cousin and I walked 3 miles at the track, and it was pretty cold and windy. I am not sure how much longer we will be able to do this. I bought each of us one of those runner's type headbands, that cover your ears. Toasty warm.

Lynda, I watched the Intro to Endeavor, (Masterpiece Theatre), which tells the back story of Inspector Morse, when he was just a new cop and actually quit the job. Started the season 1 actual show last night. Friends have seen The Martian and liked it a lot.

Judy, such cute pics! So you are all finished with STS? Your idea is a good one on skipping Meso 1. :)

Valerie, I don't think I would post as much if I had to use the iPad type keyboard all the time. I love my desktop keyboard, and can type so much faster on it. It also does not do those strange "auto-correct" words. LOL I would need to sign up for Hulu to see season 1 of Fargo...not sure if I want to pay for that...I have podcasts on my iPod that I play anywhere...don't need a Bluetooth set up or anything. They are like recordings on the iPod...I believe you only need a BT set up if you are using the phone or iPod through another device, like the car radio. So if you want to listen to a podcast from your phone or iPod in the car, I believe you will need the BT and synching process. I have a playlist which includes podcasts on my iPod that I take to the track and listen to without anything etc.

Lori, safe travels. I bet this week flew by.

Hi to Josie.

Agility class this morning, then baths for the dogs, HouseMax etc. Lots of laundry to do after the trip.

Have a great weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.