Patrick Goudeau & Rob Glick

LauraMax

Cathlete
Well, based on my recent revelation that the male species might also be able to teach a good step class, I decided to try these two.

I got Goudeau's Not Your Momma's Step. Well named for sure! The choreo is so complex I had to preview it 4 times before I'd even attempt it. I'm still kind of stumbling through it--this guy has a style I've never seen in my life--but it is an awful lot of fun. The downside is, it's kind of short & not very intense. My cal burn was only around 350 for this one.

I also tried Rob Glick's Step Gone Wild. Also well named! I like this one much, much better than Goudeau's. The choreo kind of reminds me of Amy Bento--it's pretty complex, but most of the moves are familiar, it's just a matter of getting them down in the right sequence. Also the w/o is very long--about 75 minutes. I burned around 650 cals, which is def. more in my target range. I only previewed twice & managed to get through it this morning with a minimum of missteps (still having some trouble w/the transitions from one combo to another). I love his style--even though the choreo is complex, he does an excellent job of breaking down the moves & his cuing is right on target. This might just end up being one of my favorites. I'll be trying more of his workouts for sure!

I love Patrick G's stuff! He has lots of other that are good. I really like his Play Ball dvd that uses a med ball. His step is also lots of fun once you get used to his style.

Hey Laura - I tried one of Patrick's workouts a few years ago. Can't remember the name of it.. Step Up, maybe? Anyhow, it took me FOREVER to learn, but I loved learning it. I really like his style, and he's a lot of fun. But I ended up getting rid of that DVD because once I learned it, the cardio just wasn't hard enough. I should have kept it, just as a trophy to prove that I mastered it!

Have you ever previewed his stability ball workouts? Those previews really had me laughing. He's so creative.

I've never tried Rob Glick. For some reason the previews looked boring. But now I might reconsider.

I love Patrick G's stuff! He has lots of other that are good. I really like his Play Ball dvd that uses a med ball. His step is also lots of fun once you get used to his style.

I am intrigued by his PLAY BALL (med ball) work outs. I have them on my "wish list" at Collage! :)

Have you ever previewed his stability ball workouts? Those previews really had me laughing. He's so creative.

I had one one of the stability ball work outs (ON THE BALL?) at one time. It was fun and creative for sure but required a lot more room then I had which made it difficult for me to do so I sold it.

I LOVE Patrick's personality! He is adorable. All that "OH MY GOOOOOSH" & "follow my crazy brain" stuff makes me laugh even when I want to strangle him LOL. I just wish his stuff was a bit more intense. I'm thinking once I have the choreo down I can modify w/some higher impact. I'll def. check out the Play Ball DVD.

So much fun to discover fabulous instructors! :D

Rob is definitely much easier to follow than Patrick. Rob really layers the moves well so even though he's complex, he's doable. I love his Amazing Step Styles. Always have a smile on my face when I do that one. I also have his Step Gone Wild, Hi Lo Fusion, Good to Go Hi/Lo and Amazing Cardio Combos.

I have almost all of Patrick's step workouts with the exception of B.E.S.T. which I traded away because I found it totally impossible to follow. I LOVE complex choreography but this one was his worst not his best. Also have all his dance workouts. Patrick doesn't break things down quite as well as Rob but he's worth the effort.

If anyone wants to try Patrick for the first time and doesn't want complex choreography, I would recommend Quick Step. It's a 30 minute workout with only one turn but a real calorie burner for 30 minutes. Really gets your HR up and keeps it there.

Patrick is fun and infectious and really makes you want to work out with him. His later workouts don't have as many "oh, my goshes" in them. I also love his Hard Work Conditioning and Hard Work Conditioning 2. These are circuit workouts with very basic choreography. Play Ball is also fun and a nice little workout in 30 minutes.

Marcy

Thanks Laura!

Hey Laura, thanks for the recommendations. I'm familiar with Patrick but had never heard of Rob. I looked Rob up on Netflix and put several of his workouts in my Queue. ITA that mixing it up with different (but still high quality) instructors keeps it fresh and fun! :D

I'm coreographically challenged....but I was able to follow Step Gone Wild pretty good. I love that workout. Need to go pull it out and see if I can still follow it, as I've not been doing complex coreography lately.

However, Patrick is another story. I have a couple of his step DVDs and the times I've tried them, I throw my hands up in the air staring at the TV!
I also can't follow Amy Bento's step (and I've read that one of her inspirational peeps is Patrick....which made sense).

Someday, I'll have to start trying to work on learning my Patrick's. I also have some of his dance DVDs and have not yet attempted them due to the fact that they are so complex.

I'm coreographically challenged....but I was able to follow Step Gone Wild pretty good. I love that workout. Need to go pull it out and see if I can still follow it, as I've not been doing complex coreography lately.

However, Patrick is another story. I have a couple of his step DVDs and the times I've tried them, I throw my hands up in the air staring at the TV!
I also can't follow Amy Bento's step (and I've read that one of her inspirational peeps is Patrick....which made sense).

Someday, I'll have to start trying to work on learning my Patrick's. I also have some of his dance DVDs and have not yet attempted them due to the fact that they are so complex.

Hmmm that's interesting, b/c I found Rob's style much more similar to Amy's than Patrick's style. Weird. The only difference is, Amy doesn't break things down as much as Rob, which IS similar to Patrick. But the workout moves in Amy's & Rob's workouts are more comparable.

I think the only thing I don't like about Step Gone Wild is the background exercisers. The guy looks like he's half asleep during the whole workout. The girl is awesome, she's very energetic & graceful, but why is she dressed like a boy? :eek:

Marcy, I love Patrick's "oh my goshes!" They're always after he tacks on some ridiculously complex move, & whenever he says it I laugh b/c it's similar to what I'm thinking, except more suitable for polite company. :D

I've loved both Patrick & Rob since the old G Force days (I still have a couple of those on VHS). Patrick has actually simplified his choreography over the years. I think he got beaten up a little bit about the complexity. I really love Patrick's personality and style---he has interesting moves, I think probably inspired from his dance background. I will say that the intensity level can vary from workout to workout. Step My Way is a bit more intense, IIRC. I found that the intensity increased once I was more comfortable with the moves and could fully execute them. Initially there was a lot of "WTH did he just do" and it would slow me down.

I've also got a lot of Rob's workouts, including Step Gone Wild. That one has a different flavor I think because it was made by Evolution and it's that European influence. Some of his others are more "conventional" IMO. He cues really well IMO and the moves flow along and not too much TIFTing.

Glad you've found some "new" instructors that you enjoy. It's really exciting when that happens!

No kidding? Evolution is a European company? I had no idea. Huh.

Yes, it is exciting to find new instructors! Truthfully having 2 left feet I avoided complex choreo like the plague until recently. But I've been doing step for about 20 years now (got my 1st Cathe VHS in 1997) & finally got up the courage (or maybe boredom LOL) to give it a shot. Amy & Tracey def. hooked me.

Also for some reason after years of being addicted to kickboxing, I've suddenly lost interest. Now all I want to do is step, step, step. But I suspect this is just a temporary condition. ;)

So if anyone has any other step recs for me, bring 'em on!

Laura - Love Seasun Zieger's Stepping Up. My favorite step workout! It is also the most complex and challenging but worth it. Great music. Might take a few tries before getting it, but you'll be glad you did. If you want to try something easier by Seasun Zieger, her easiest is Straight Up Step which is doable, then Rock Steady Step and then The Next Step (which also has a vertical step routine and a double step routine).

Another one that really puts a smile on my face is Tracey Staehle's Steady State Step.

Marcy

I like Stepping Up but I'm still trying to learn it. The music is great and I like Seasun's personality.

Play Ball is a lot of fun. And so is Hard Work Condtioning. I don't have any of his step or any of Rob's workouts. But now I have a reason to research somebody new. Thank you enablers. :p

Jenn

Laura - Love Seasun Zieger's Stepping Up. My favorite step workout! It is also the most complex and challenging but worth it. Great music. Might take a few tries before getting it, but you'll be glad you did. If you want to try something easier by Seasun Zieger, her easiest is Straight Up Step which is doable, then Rock Steady Step and then The Next Step (which also has a vertical step routine and a double step routine).

Another one that really puts a smile on my face is Tracey Staehle's Steady State Step.

Marcy

I love Tracey's SSS! It is SO MUCH FUN! I can do it in my sleep. LOL!

I'll check out Seasun. Someone recommended her to me before, but I never followed up. Thanks for the rec! :)

Never tried Patrick. I've watched him on FitTv, and it looks fun, but I don't want to end up in the ER with a broken ankle or booty, either.

I can't follow Rob. I had hid Good To Go Hi/Lo and it just frustrated me. I think part of it may have been the space requirement. My space is a little small, and having to shorten up the moves threw off the beat. Also, who wears black pants against a dark background? I can't see what your legs and feet are doing!!!!! I gave it to my husband's cousin. She's a dancer, and I figured she'd be able to follow it.

I tried real hard to like Amy's ASC 1 & 2. They looked fun, but were very frustrating. By the time I got it, the workout was over. And it just didn't stick in my memory banks for some reason. I can pull out and old Cathe and still remember what's going on. I do like Amy's kick box and boot camps, though.

I think I'm just a klutz. I'd like to find some other instructors, too. But it seems my brain is wired for Cathe.

My library has fitness DVDs for rent, but nothing challenging, otherwise I'd be renting stacks and trying before buying, so I can find that perfect new instructor.

Nan

OK, I have now learned my 3rd Patrick DVD and I am totally addicted! I can't stop! :D He has such a fun personality & boy those workouts are a blast once you learn them.

It's funny, out of the 3 DVDs I have there's one move in each I cannot seem to master no matter how many times I preview & attempt it. Which gives me an excuse to do the workouts again. ;)

I sure hope he comes out w/more workouts soon. I saw he made one with Kim Kardashian. Part of me is tempted to buy it, part of me is kind of nauseated by the idea of working out with that psuedo-celebrity. :rolleyes: Does anyone else have it so I can get a review?

I don't have the one he did with Kim Kardashian...

...and I don't know if I could stand it, but I did want to let Patrick fans know that he has a new workout coming out hopefully by Christmas. There are clips on Collage now. It isn't step.

Laura, do you have Step My Way? I think that is probably my favorite Patrick step workout. It has one segment that when I finally "got it" I felt like a freaking rock star! Now that I've learned it the move just flows right along. That's the beauty of Patrick, IMHO.

Last edited:
...and I don't know if I could stand it, but I did want to let Patrick fans know that he has a new workout coming out hopefully by Christmas. There are clips on Collage now. It isn't step.

Laura, do you have Step My Way? I think that is probably my favorite Patrick step workout. It has one segment that when I finally "got it" I felt like a freaking rock star! Now that I've learned it the move just flows right along. That's the beauty of Patrick, IMHO.

I do have it, and I think it's my favorite too. SUCH a fun workout! You know what's weird? The only part of that DVD I haven't gotten so far is the final turn in the warmup. Jeez, even his warmup combos are a blast! And I love the stretching in the WUs--it's not the usual runners stretch, ham stretch, calve stretch, etc. I really like the way he incorporates the stretching w/balance & cardio components.

So I asked him on his FB page if he'd be doing a new step DVD anytime soon, & he said he was quitting teaching step after 2010 so he could focus on other exercise endeavors. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.