painting

wrwatch

Cathlete
Does anyone know if it is safe to paint while pregnant? I want to paint our greatroom and our bedroom while on summer break. I am in my 10th week. I was wondering if it was one of those things you should avoid in your first trimester, but can do after that. Hiring someone is out of the question. My husband will do the high stuff. But he is working most of the time. I am off for the summer and want to get it done before school starts in August. Appreciate your input! wr

Hi WR,

I don't believe that it is a good idea to be painting and inhaling those fumes. Call your caregiver's office and find out for sure.

Sheila Watkins

I don't think there has been any research on whether paint fumes harm a developing fetus. However, I am almost sure your care provider will tell you to avoid anything that may cause harm. Despite the potential hazard, I still think you can paint if you take the proper precautions. You should make sure the room is well ventilated, wear gloves, and wear a ventilator (NOT A MASK.) A ventilator is one of those masks that looks like a gas mask and has filters on two sides. You should probably also leave the house for awhile after you paint until the fumes are gone.
Good luck.

paint fumes

I would ask your doctor to be sure but my doctor was against it. He really didn't even want me to be painting my fingernails (in the first trimester)due to harsh fumes.

good thoughts!

I will definately check with my doctor before doing any painting and won't consider it until I am out of my first trimester. I will do the respirator thing as well. I may scare off the kids I already have in my paint get up!:) Thanks for sharing! wr

Respirators - don't do it, please

Please don't assume that if you put on a respirator that you are protected. First of all you need to have the correct cartidges for the work you are doing, and depending on the paint, you could need voc cartidges or some other chemical protectant cartridges. Second, respirators need to be fit tested to make sure you have the proper seal, otherwise they are useless. Third - wearing a respirator removes one of the bodies ways to remove excess heat. Do you know that breathing out is one of the MAJOR ways to remove heat from your body? As a person who has taught personal protective equipment for several years of my life my advice is-DON'T DO IT. Especially if you are not already accustomed to it. Any type of personal protective equipment has the ability to add extra stress to your body, and is something that you should probably avoid.

In my non-medical, but safety professional opinion, the respirator could be more harmful to you than latex paint fumes, and unless properly fit tested and outfitted will only give you a false sense of protection.

sorry for the rant, but this worried me.

LynnO

whoa! I had no idea!

I am glad I asked this question and thank you for sharing. I was unaware that I am totally ignorate about respirators. Your right! It doesn't sound like its worth the risk. I may just be living with this wall color for a while longer. Thanks for the info. wr

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.