P90X Question regard:Weights

Did you start out with the heaviest you could lift with good form? It says in the manual that you really don't have to try that until the 3rd or 4th week? What did you guys do?

As I was most interested in toning and loosing fat I used whatever weight I could do 15 reps with. Now in my 7th week I have increased the weight and lowered the reps as I definitely got more toned and now want to shape the muscle....:)...Carole

I do the heaviest I can lift with good form for 8 reps. Sometimes more.

If you feel you are up to it, why not? I don't know why you would want to work below a level you are capable of. But, you may be extra sore and burnt out and in that case, I would lower my weight a bit...

Ok - I have a question - I know I've inquired before and I've recieved mixed replies - does P09X work well for the hip, butt area? I'd like to hear from someone who HAS seen results in toning this area. My butt is so squishy and I'll buy the series if it helps - but if it doesn't, then I'll stick with Cathe.

Lynne, have you seen results w/Cathe in your butt so far? If so, then maybe you'd do well to stick w/her workouts.

I personally have seen some serious lower body results with P90X and I've not even been able to devote the time to an official rotation. I hope to by the end of the summer. I try to follow a semblence of rotation sequence as described by P90X but can't always do so, yet my butt is already smaller, tighter and my legs, especially inner thighs, are more defined. I can only imagine what will happen when I can get into a serious rotation!

Like Janice, I lift heavy, always have w/P90X.

NO I've seen no improvement. In fact, I'm enormously frustrated by it! I just can't seem to change it - not even a little bit. I may try P09X - it can't hurt!

I started out using my heaviest weights for the exercises that called for lower reps (8-10). Otherwise, if you notice (for shoulders) Tony wants you to do 16 reps so I went lighter. Every time Tony said 16 reps I lightened my weight & I'm glad I did!!! I've been getting some wonderful compliments on my arms & so will you. Be prepared for people starring at you. Have fun & good luck! Kathy:D

Came back to add regarding legs & butt area you'll definitely see more definition in your legs. According to Tony's rotations your mixing & matching it up doing moves you've never seen before (without using a barbell). Your also doing Plyometrics which uses the legs (your jumping for an hour!), Yoga (poses uses a lot of leg work) as well as his Legs & Back DVD (his wall squats & one-legged wall squats will definitely have your legs shaking). If you feel your butt isn't getting enough work you can always do what I did. I threw in for good measure Cathe's High Step Training (Mix & Match) squats/plies/deadlifts/leg presses & hover squats but let me just say that it was overkill!!!! I had serious DOMS the next day so beware! I'm into my 4th week (which is supposed to be a recovery week Ha!) some recovery. Tony Horton is HARD but I'm loving it!

Thanks - keep me posted on your results. I'm now more anxious than ever to give it a try. Mixing it up can't hurt for my legs and butt area. one legged wall squats sound brutal! now, I'm excited. as soon as I get some extra money, I'm in!

Thanks to all of you for the information, I'm so anxious I can't wait. I recieved the packaged on Tuesday of this week so I'm going to start next week fresh. Thank you guys, I'll pay atttention to go lighter with the shoulders. I hope people notice the difference, that's always a great plus!!! Thanks for the information on the legs too, I have heard some people add extra leg work. Thanks again, keep it up girls.

First, pick the number of reps you are going for, then choose the weight that will allow you to get those reps with good form, with the last 2-3 being tough (you couldn't do another with good form).

I usually do 16 reps (Tony says choose a range: 8-10 or 12- 15, but I'm a rebel) for most exercises, and have increased the weights I can lift for that many reps. I also sometimes mix (especially with bis, for some reason) and do some 16-rep sets,and some of only 6-8.

LOL, Kepi...isn't that the truth?

Awwww, Lynne, c'mon already. Didn't you already ask this question? Seems like I remember it. How much additional egging do you need to order this series? Hey, if what you have done so far has not worked, what do you have to lose trying something new???

Ok, other than $150.00?

:)

Would we lie to you?:)

OK- OK I'm sold! I'm sold! I'm gonna take the plunge - you're right what's another 150 when you're already in debt up to your eyeballs?!? that's what credit cards are for? (he he)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.