P90X or Insanity?

MKEMom

Cathlete
I'm not really interested in either of them. But my husband is trying to get in shape. Right now he's running a few times a week, but he knows himself, and doesn't think he'll be able to force himself outside when our Wisconsin winter really gets going.

His dad died out of the blue of a heart attack a year ago at age 56. He just had his own lipids checked, and they're already borderline at age 30, so he really wants to start taking care of himself.

So, until I persuade him to try Cathe (I think having a woman instructor turns him off :rolleyes:), which would you recommend? Does P90X have enough cardio for someone who's working out for heart-health?

To answer your question, no, P90X does not have enough cardio in it if heart health is his goal. I would definitely go for Insanity BUT if he's just starting out in a fitness program I would be weary of having him jump into Insanity just yet. It's incredibly tough and may not be the answer for him right now. You may want to get him something less intense and have him work up to Insanity...Just my 2 cents. :)

Insanity is hard but you he can modify. I will have a youtube video available later this week or next week I will do Insanity low impact. I like P90X there is the Plyo and Cardio X. These are the only cardio workouts. Great moves I love them. I think he can also add some weight training to his routine. I think both are great programs. If he wants more cardio Insnaity is a better choice. :)

ITA that they are both great programs. Get him both. He can work up to doing both of them and once he completes each program one time through he can do an Insanity/P90X hybrid rotation! I am seriously considering giving it a shot myself in the near future! :D

I would P90X because of the strength training, core and yoga. If he keeps up the running, he can find other dvds to do in house once the weather gets too cold.

HTH

I think it depends on your husband's preferences . . .

If you have the cash for it, get both! But, if $$ is a consideration, I would choose the program that best matches what he likes to do with his workouts--especially since it sounds like he is just getting started, anything you can do to minimize the dread factor is important!

So, if he likes the more traditional pumping iron, pushups, pull-ups kind of working out, go for P90X. My DH used this program when he first started working out seriously and was very successful with it, largely in part b/c he thought it was a "manly" workout (now he has moved on to Cathe and loves her stuff--especially STS--even more!). I think there is enough cardio conditioning in the program. Sure, it doesn't compare to Cathe and it won't get you ready for a marathon, but I think it's a good starting place cardio-wise.

If your husband likes cardio--and lots of it--go for Insanity. (I know there are some strength moves, but nothing like P90X). I agree with the PP who said he can modify as needed.

Let us know what you choose to buy and how your husband likes it!

Thanks all! I think I'll probably go with Insanity. I'm probably going to wait until Christmas to get it for him, so he'll have a little time to work up to it. I'd love to see the muscles he'd develop with P90X :eek:, but I'm more worried about his heart than anything else at this point. Plus, I think he's more receptive to cardio. I'll get him weight-training, though. I just have to keep telling him how hot he'd be :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.