P90 or P90X

lindzebird

Cathlete
I've been interested in getting the P90X for my husband, but he hasn't worked out for quite a while. He wants to get back into it and I think he would benefit from having a series like P90X, but am wondering if it's too much for him to start up again with. Should he just start with p90 instead? Any one who has used these series would you recommend the P90X for someone who hasn't worked out consistently for the last 3 years? (He's a medical student just finishing up his last year.)

Thanks for all you help in advance.
Lindzebird

I know Kathryn will pipe up :+ , but I'd say to start with the P90 series. P90X is pretty hard core and takes a lot out of you. P90 or maybe the P90 Masters (Kathryn?) would be a better start.

It totally depends on his level of fitness. If he has a lot of weight to lose, is inactive, and doesn't have the strength/endurance then I'd say go for P90. But if he is relatively fit and just needs to dust off, P90x should be fine. There is a "fit test" on the P90x website to help determine if you are ready for it. But basically if he could do push ups and pull ups, he can do P90x. I think the website says you need to be in "decent shape." P90x is the type of workout that you could grow into because it's really a work out at your own pace type of workout.

I wouldn't suggest that he begin with P90X. My DH has been inconsistent at best with exercise over the last couple of years. I have been trying to "inspire" him and convinced him to do P90X chest & back with me. Well, he could not lift his arms for three days and, although, I had some good laughs watching him, he hasn't worked out since. It was just to intense for him to begin with. I think that most people respond better to starting slowly and gradually working their way into an intense rotation. Oddly enough, most people don't enjoy DOMS either! Go figure! ;-)

I have a question to add:

How much time do the workouts take, daily, for the P90X rotation?

What does the cardio consist of in both the P90 and P90X workouts?

Thanks,
Sandra

I also wouldn't recommend he start with P90X (though it's something he can move up to later).

I've never tried P90, just read other people's comments about it, and saw the informercials, but it's supposed to be beginner/intermediate in intensity. It might be fine for someone who hasn't worked out 'in quite a while." I have read that many people who have it can't stand Tony in it (but liked him or could at least tolerate him in P90X).

Another option might be Power Half Hour: 5 (or 6?) 1/2-hour workouts, including an upper-body split, two lower body workouts (thighs and glutes), a core workout and a stretch (maybe it is only 5). They are short enough to be doable, don't require chin-ups/pull-ups, and are effective.

P90 Masters is about the same level, but there is more plyo work, the workouts are longer (around 50 minutes), and the resistance workouts, aside from "plyo legs," are total body (though Sculpt 5-6 works the lower body lightly enough to be considered an 'upper body workout with some leg work" for me--I like to do S 5-6 and Plyo Legs one day after the other).

Hi! I agree with everyone else here. I wouldn't start with P90x but have that as a goal to move up to. Maybe the -90 masters series. I've only done 2 of them and like tony ALOT more in p90x. I love him in the lifting ones - feels like you are at the gym - the who can beat whose reps thing etc!

I recommend you check out beachbody and post the question on the forums. There are a lot more guys over there, who could pipe in.

Hope to see you and your hubby over there!

I think your husband should start out using Power 90 because that will definitely prepare him for Power 90X especially if he hasn't worked out in a long time. He will gain strength and endurance from doing Power 90 first, once he finishes he should move on to Power 90X. I have Power 90X so I know exactly how intense it is.:)

Sandra - most of the P90X workouts are about an hour, maybe a bit less. Except Yoga X, which is an hour and a half! There are some days where you do Ab Ripper X along with your workout, and it's about 16 minutes long.

The cardio in P90X is Plyo X and Kenpo X. There really isn't much. I find Core Synergistics gets my HR up there too.

This is the week I'm currently on, as an example:

M - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps + Ab Ripper X
T - Plyo X
W - Back and Biceps + Ab Ripper X
T - Yoga X
F - Legs and Back + Ab Ripper X
S - Kenpo X
S - Rest or Stretch X

Thank you all very much for your replies!! I am going to see if I can talk him into the master series or power half hour. He plans on starting a running program soon, so hopefully I can convince him to add some of the videos on alternating days. Then once he's up to it...P90X!! (Of course if its in the house he'd let me use it right? ;-)

Thanks again!
Lindzebird

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.