Over 40 -- Okay to Do High Impact (please read)

lorajc

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, (I know this is long ...but please read)
Prior to finding your workouts, most everything I read in fitness magazines talks about toning down your impact into your 40's and 50's. I'm 45 and really don't want to slow down (especially now that I found out you're 40 and going strong). What is your opinion on this?

Also, I mentioned in a previous post that I have cervical disc herniations and I'm not really supposed to jar my neck too much, but if I feel okay afterwards, do you think it is okay to go high impact?

Also, I mentioned in a previous post that when I first discovered Circuit Max, I had low back pain from all of the jumping. After that, I started doing less and building up gradually and I seem to be doing better. Do you think I'm not hurting myself? Please don't tell me to check with a doctor because I've spoken with many and they don't really know too much about exercise.

Also, I really like how you suggest modifications for some of the moves in Hardcore (i.e., side pushups on one arm, etc.). Since I have this disc herniation, I can't do any weight movements where I lift my arms over my head and I have to modify pushups by doing them on the wall (it's frustrating!! - but if I don't, I get severe, severe pain in my upper back, rhomboids, etc.). Please keep giving the modifications for the ladies that exercise around an injury. I'd also love to see a back/neck strengthing postural workout with an extra long stretch at the end. Sorry this is so long. I hope it doesn't keep you from reading it.

I'm not Cathe but I wanted to answer you because I'm 45 and still do Cathe cardio at her intensity but I modify all the high impact to the rebounder. I do all the jacks, jump ropes, sequential power kicks, jogs, etc. on the rebounder. In fact, I do the entire MIC hi/lo on the rebounder as well as all of the SJP hi/lo too.

I know a lot of video exercisers do this and I just thought I'd give you something to think about until Cathe answers you.

I'm not Cathe but I wanted to answer you because I'm 45 and still do Cathe cardio at her intensity but I modify all the high impact to the rebounder. I do all the jacks, jump ropes, sequential power kicks, jogs, etc. on the rebounder. In fact, I do the entire MIC hi/lo on the rebounder as well as all of the SJP hi/lo too.

I know a lot of video exercisers do this and I just thought I'd give you something to think about until Cathe answers you.

I just turned 50 and I do high impact, just not every day. My body tells me if I'm overdoing and I just scale back.

I just turned 50 and I do high impact, just not every day. My body tells me if I'm overdoing and I just scale back.

Hi I am also 45 and I work out 6 days a week. I also have hbp so I try not to lift more than 20lbs overhead. That is the only time I modify

Hi, Lora! Another "not-Cathe" here!
I'm 48, and I do think that some impact is important for bone density, but it's important to not overdo the impact. I personally would never try IMAX 2 or IMAX3 without modifying quite a few of the moves. I also plan to take most of the high jumps in Kick Max to my rebounder (a way of doing high impact moves without the impact to the joints). If I do attempt them, it's on a wooden floor covered with puzzle mats, and I won't be going as high as they do!

I also know that my body doesn't like more than 1 or at the most 2 higher impact (though not as high as the workouts I mentioned) workouts per week.

I've found that I don't need the high intensity cardio workouts to get into the shape I want to be and to be healthy and fit. I also tend to stress more weight work and alternate heavy/intense weight weeks with more functional workouts that use light or medium weights and provide balance challenges (which challenge the body in a different way and are essential, IMO, as we age).

I did high impact until I was 50 when I injured myself playing tennis. While in physical therapy, the therapist noticed my hip was tight and recommended x-rays. It turns out I have moderate arthritis in my right hip. I did have symptoms -- stiffness in my quad, without pain -- that I attributed to exercising,not knowing anything about arthritis.

I can no longer do high impact, but was told a moderate amount of jumping jacks are okay. If I had been knowledgeable about the risks of arthritis, I would have stopped high impact several years ago. I've been modifying my step and hi/lo tapes and still get a good cardio workout. I also changed my workout, cutting cardio to three days from five, one of which is a circuit day, and using the two extra days for body sculpting and pilates. (The seventh day is either rest or yoga.) I also have a stretch routine that I do twice a day that was recommended by the physical therapist. After a year, I've noticed I'm getting a leaner, more toned look and I am stronger. Most important, I did not gain any weight.

Maybe you should talk to a physical therapist about what exercises are good for you. The therapist could also develop an appropriate stretch routine for you. I understand your reluctance to speak to a doctor. My orthopedist specializes in dance and sports injuries, but relies on physical therapists for exercise programs, although he does like pilates.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I have been to several doctors and physical therapists and they all tell me the same thing. Basically "if it hurts, don't do it". It is so vague. I kind of think the doctors in my area aren't really big into fitness. It's frustrating. I just wanted to see what Cathe says about high impact over 40. I'm going to take all of your suggestions and think about them. Mainly, I'm going to try the rebounder to take some of the impact out of some of my high intensity aerobics. I'm just so gung ho into exercise that I don't really want to slow down and I don't know if it's necessary. I do take 1 day of rest per week...I actually do a stretch routine on that day. I just keep reading about high impact and keeping it to a minimum as you get older due to joint issues, but I don't see Cathe doing that and she just turned 40 I understand. I do have daily neck/shoulder stretches I have to do every morning for my disc herniation.

What is a rebounder and where can I buy one? I'm only 28, but previewing IMAX3 made me think a lot about all the high impact I'm doing right now and how it might affect me later. It would be awful to be working so hard to be in great shape only to learn later that all that work put me in a position of being unable to exercise or in pain all the time! I'm motivated to try this rebounder now...

I just keep reading about high
>impact and keeping it to a minimum as you get older due to
>joint issues, but I don't see Cathe doing that and she just
>turned 40 I understand.

I don't think anyone should necessarily compare themselves to Cathe or anyone else. I would classify Cathe as an athlete. She has been very physically active all her life (running, gymnastics). I believe she has a sturdier structure than many of us, and is less prone to injury.

>What is a rebounder and where can I buy one? I'm only 28, but
>previewing IMAX3 made me think a lot about all the high impact
>I'm doing right now and how it might affect me later.

Check out www.urbanrebounding.com.

I'm 35 and have been doing step since my early 20's. I was 28 when I found out I have osteoarthritis in my spine, the same area where my upper back curves. Osteoarthritis runs in my family, and for some reason, it showed up in me very early. I've been doing Cathe's workouts for almost 2 years. Last year, after my knees started to complain, I've been looking for ways to protect them. All those years of doing step on an 8"-high board really took its toll. A friend of mine who is a PT taught me ways to modify my leg workouts to keep myself from stressing my knees AND protect them as well. There is only so much impact I can do using Cathe's workouts. I've lowered my step to 4 inches and in some workouts (like the IMAXes), I take out the step altogether. I use puzzle mats on my workout space and rotate the kinds of cardio I do (step, hi/lo, kickboxing). I enjoy Cathe, but I've had to make a lot of modifications to keep using her workouts. Lately I've actually been looking for a dance-type cardio workout. I used to dance in my teens and was quite lean just dancing. I've also ordered a rebounder from the above site so I can rotate that as well to my other cardio workouts.

Pinky

I'm not Cathe, but I AM way over 40. It depends on the individual as to how much high impact he/she can do. I happen to do a lot of high impact, and I'm 55. I also am careful to cross train, although there's nothing I'd rather do than high impact step 7 days a week!

you keep working it cake baker. Hope you're not eating them all. lol. Gives me some incentive and I'm so happy to say I'm 50!!!! I think I just want to hold out here.

I eat cake only on Saturdays! Ice cream, too, and tater tots. And candy. And hamburgers. And whatever else ain't nailed down! :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 In my next life I want a week with 7 Saturdays!

It's true that everyone is different and that you have to decide what works for you. I can do every one of Cathe's workouts fairly well EXCEPT for the IMAX's and her hi-lo. There is just too much impact for me, mostly IMO b/c I have concrete under carpet in my workout room (and no puzzle mat possible until my DH finishes the wood floor in the main home area). I can run 3-5 miles on my treadmill, no soreness in my joints so that's what I do for my more demanding cardio other than Cathe's other step workouts, and her kickboxing. (I love lo-max and especially the premix all step workout combo of step blast/SJP w/ weights) Have a great day :) /karen

I am 50 years old and I don't modify at all. But I am careful with my movement -- like coming out of the resistance bands.

Actually, I am more fit now than when I was 45.....

I can go longer and harder.

I have no arthritis and my bone density scans have actually improved -- I did have bone loss in my hips and spine. I had a bone scan last month and it was normal!

I take Actonel for bone density and Femhrt for hormone replacement plus I work out.

I hope I die working out!

I have thought about that before, which workout will be my last - ever?

I know it's morbid, but I am so into fitness that I wonder barring an accident when will I be unable to work out any more?

AmySteppe,

"I hope I die working out!" You are too funny. I'm also 50 and I wondered that the other day as I was doing leg blasts from KickMax...."will I survive this?". What a way to go :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.