OUTRAGED Mom--calling all med. professionals

kellymom

Cathlete
I just returned home from an Urgent Care facility with my 9 yr old son who was just given two staples in his scalp with NO anesthesia!

First of all, we waited for two hours, and I know that's very typical. Just annoying. Then, when the Dr. finally shows up, he asks "when did this happen" and "did it bleed a lot", leaves the room, comes back with a nurse or technician, or whatever, scrubs the laceration on my son's head with saline, and then they PULL OUT A STAPLER AND STAPLE HIS HEAD without a word to me or him! They scared the crap outta him and I was shocked! They didn't shave anything either and the staples are not flush with his skin.

So here's my question to any of you who have experience in the medical field: Was this a case of a Dr. having horrible bed side manner and the actual repair work is fine, or was my son's scalp lac repair grossly mishandled?

:mad:
Kelly

It sounds to me like the Dr. has no bedside manners. I'm surprised he didn't at least dumb the scalp before placing the stitches. And, to not tell either of you what was going on was very unprofessional. I'd be mad too.

I can understand your frustration, the dr should have explained better what he was doing. But, staples without a local is completely appropriate, esp since there were only two. The local would have been much more painful and drawn out than the two quick staples and done. The thing about a scalp laceration is the repair doesn't have to be pretty. The scar won't be seen since it is covered with hair.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. Trips to ER/urgent care are never stress free. :( I hope he heals quickly.

Becca, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :) It's so hard to have confidence in a Dr's treatment when they don't communicate well. I was worried it was done incorrectly--but you've helped me feel better. Thank you!

Kelly

Sorry you and your son had to go through that! When I staple a child's laceration, I always offer a local...but more recently I'll offer LET gel (a topical numbing gel) for 15 minutes prior to cleansing and staples. It's totally appropriate to NOT inject topical anesthetic as that usually freaks the child out and the staples don't go well. BUT the provider (or at the very least the nurse) should have thoroughly explained the whats and whys as your son is old enough to understand IMO.
Don't be afraid to send a note to the urgent care center to let them know...customer service is everything!
julie

Does this doctor not answer to a board or something? I'd write a big ol' letter of complaint. What a terrible ordeal!

I don't know about the scalp staples w/out painkillers,but it seems to be the agreement that its normal. However, if a "doctor" just walks in and shoots staples into my kid's head, without an explanation or anything, then I am going to fly off the handle. From what you said, I am assuming you didn't give the so-called doctor consent to staple your kid, and unless its a life threatening no time for consent situation, as the parent you have to give the ok. I'd write a nasty/nice letter and send a copy attn directly to the physician and a copy directly to the director of patient relations, and a copy directly to the director of the facility. I'd be beyond peeved, too.

Nan

I'd agree with Nan too...that should have been explained in the informed consent per standard protocol

I had a co-worker once who had to take her young son to the emergency room because he'd had some sort of fall and they thought his arm was broken. The doctor had no bedside manner and began abruptly squeezing the heck out of the part of the arm that they thought was broken, causing her son to repeatedly yelp in pain. The doctor seemed not to hear, oblivious to the suffering he was inflicting, like some sort of crazy sadist. When my co-worker had had enough she stood close to the doctor and hissed "If you touch my son again I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE!" She wasn't charged or anything, but she scared the loony doctor away and got a new, more sensitive doctor for her son.

When she told the story you could see her getting mad all over again.

Peyton had two staples in his head when he was just over a year old (tripped over his own darn feet at the sitters and cracked his head). They just popped in the staples quick like they did with your son (our's looked uneven just like yours too btw). Peyton never even yelped when the staples went in (he was seriously ticked off over me holding his hands down though!) I agree though they should have at least let you know what he was about to do instead of just doing it. Maybe he thought there'd be less time for either of you to panic over it? The really should have some kind of bed side manor class in med school, don't ya think?

I feel much better now after hearing from you guys! Now that we've got a little perspective on it ;), we're definitely upset that there was no explanation or communication before the procedure but have learned that no anesthesia is common. I would have liked to be warned and be able to hold him, you know?! And then I was torn between making a fuss and scaring him more, or just keeping him calm--it definitely hurt him. I chose to just keep him calm.

Thanks for making me feel better--especially Becca and Farmgirl with your medical knowledge. I trust my fellow Catheites!

Kelly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.