OT - what to wear to a Broadway play

LadyUnix

Cathlete
Hello all,

I'm flying to NYC this weekend to meet the man in my life (long distance relationship), and we're going to see the Broadway production of Chicago.

What to wear? What can I get away with, closer to the casual side? I'll have to buy something, and I'll need to make it cheap as possible, as these weekend trips are getting expensive.

I haven't been to a Broadway show since I was a little girl...don't know what is done these days. Don't want to stick out.....

Thanks to anyone who has advice for me!

Lady,

Sorry, but I had to laugh. I know there was a dress code for Broadway at one time, but that is LONG gone. There is absolutely no dress code of any kind. You will find yourself very un-elegantly huddled into a tiny seat with very little leg room with your heavy winter coat on your lap with your handbag squished between your knees, probably behind someone with big hair that blocks your view. Dress for the date, dress for the restaurant, but don't worry about the Broadway show. Anything goes.

Nancy from NYC

Good advice as always, Nancy!

I had to laugh at your description. Isn't it so true of almost anywhere you go anymore? People don't dress up like they used to. I love to dress up, and usually find myself overdressed every where we go. I don't mind though... better to be overdressed than under, I always say!

LadyUnix-I agree. No dress code on Broadway. ENJOY YOURSELF!

I'm headed to NYC tomorrow night with my fiance and my 2 boys for Kids Night on Broadway. We're seeing The Lion King. AND....I'm not looking forward to holding 3 winter coats and a purse on my lap for 3 hours! LOL

HAVE FUN!

Gayle

My last few visits to Broadway have been in jeans and a nice top...similar to how the kids are dressing today. I'm very comfortable dressed this way and it's appropriate.

Nancy

I know, Gayle. At $100 per ticket, you think they'd have a coat check, right? I'm not crazy about Broadway, but I do love Lion King. Enjoy!
Nancy

Gayle:

This is what I do. Have the kids sit down in their coats. Open the coat and fold it open around their seat back--sort of like hanging your coat over a chair back, but in reverse. It beats holding them on your lap! I do this with my own as well.

Enjoy the show!
Lynda

ok, another agreement here. it is freezing here. dress to be warm and comfortable!

as the others said, if you are going out to a nice place for dinner, you may want to wear something a bit more dressy. however, most places i have gone to are ok with jeans and a nice sweater.

funny...dress code and nyc. those two just dont go together. if they did, it would not be ny.

suri (brooklyn, ny)

I agree, but guess I'm a throwback to a different time and I'm only 42. When we go to see a play, I dress business casual, so that I feel as if I'm going somewhere special and not to a movie. I also have my kids dress nicely. For my daughter that's easy as she loves to wear dresses - she's 8. For my son, it's dress slacks (dockers) a sweater or polo shirt and yes, shoes - no sneakers.

Hope you have a really good time - enjoy the play!!!!!

I'm laughing, too! I just went to see Hairspray in December and there were people there in sweats!!!

I wore a nice pair of jeans and a sweater and felt more than adequately dressed!

Yeah, I went for my birthday about 2 weeks ago (I live in Minnesota). I felt guilty for *only* wearing a jacket, sweater and wool pants. Then when I got there I felt stupid and completely amazed that there were people there in sweat pants or jeans and a sweatshirt.

I must be old school--people just don't seem to try any more for anything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.