OT/ technically speaking is Fri. a Federal Holiday

Affirm

Cathlete
I live in the metro area of Washington DC and the federal gov. has closed due to the capital area funeral for Pres. Reagan. My daycare provider told me tonight that she is going to be closed since it is a federal holiday. My husband and I told her that it is not a federal holiday. Her contract states that she will be closed on the following federal holidays and list them specifically as Labor Day, Presidents' Day, etc. ) We are not federal employees and have to work on Friday. We find this to be a violation of her contract. Many of the other parents work in DC and their job will allow them to take liberal leave or is closed. I am sure my daycare provider fished around to see which children were not coming on Friday. Her statement to us was that it is a federal holiday and most of the kids are not coming so she will be closed. I work in the school system and we are preparing for awards ceremonies/graduations,etc. and I am swamped at work and really cannot stand to take time off. Her paid vacation was just last week and my husband took off work for that week. Am I being unrealistic or what. We have never had a problem like this with her before, but I am so disappointed in her right now.

I know Federal govenment offices have the day off but I am unaware of any other offices in my vicinity (Philly area) closing down. However, technically it is a valid Federal Holiday and it is up to the employer/owners of a company to decide to close or not close.

Sounds to me like your day provider is just wanting a day off, I don't think something like that would stand up in court, since you have a contract............ Rhonda

Technically Friday is NOT a federal holiday - it's a one-off thing for the Reagan funeral. Federal holidays have to be voted on by Congress (remember all the controversy surrounding the Martin Luther King holiday?).

I'd be pretty pissed at your day-care provider - schools and day-care centers list their holidays at the beginning of the year so parents can plan in advance for holidays and vacations. Last-minute notice like this really inconveniences you and other parents too.

Allison

Hi,

I am a co-owner of a daycare home here in Philly and we are opened. I would LOVE to have Friday off..:) . Looks like your provider does too!! No federal holiday that I am aware of. We are a licensed facility and know what federal holididays we are closed on. Friday is not one of them!! Good luck!!

Aila:)

Yes, my provider just wants the day off. Thanks for all your opinions. This morning she told us that Friday would be a personal day. I just said okay and didn't argue that point because she does have some personal days in her contract and has not used them all, however, she normally gives us a lot of notice when using them. I just know I am not about to pay her for a so called federal holiday that does not exist and then her personal days too. Too bad for her that she has too much pride to admit that she was wrong and will remain open and that she would rather waste a personal day instead. I am sure my husband and I rattled her cage when we told her that she was in violation of the contract. She knows that we probably would have follwed through with some legal action against her. Like I said, I don't like the late notice of a personal day but at least it is in the contract. I have never experienced anything like this with her before. Thanks for letting me vent.

I agree with the others that Friday is not a regular federal holiday persay, but all of the financial institutions & post offices will be closed in KY. My MIL works for the army hospital on Fort Knox and they are closed and my BIL is a navy recruiter stationed in Bowling Green and he will be off as well. However, I do not know if any documenatation or law exists that states about a president passing away and holding the day in reverence and calling it a federal holiday. You would have to ask a professional about that one.

The good thing is at least she is now going to take a personal day even though she should have been professional enough to admit she was wrong and at least have given you enough time to make other arrangements.

Sounds like now would be a good time to start revising your child care options. I would not stay much longer with this person. How can I trust her?

Good for you and your husband for standing strong. I salute you.

Clare

We started exploring our options today. I plan to give her a 2 week notice really soon. You are exactly right. She has violated our trust.

President Bush was designated Friday to be a Federal holiday for that day. I am a federal employee and we were informed about it last Wednesday in an email that Friday June 11th would be a holiday- no real notice at all. She should have used better judgement then to give you no notice at all instead of taking advantage of the situation and looking at it as a day off and ignoring her customer's needs. Good luck in finding a new person who is more reliable.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.