Organic Food

lrusso

Cathlete
Just curious how many of you eat organic food?? I try to eat all organic fruits and veggies and eggs, along with antibiotic free meats.

I do,as much as possible, better for me and the environment. Well worth the extra cost, plus I save a bunch not eating junk & processed foods.

I do as well:) Whenever possible fruits, veggies, meats, grains & eggs from chickens who are fed free range/vegetarian diet:)
Cathy

How can u b sure the chicken and otther meat is organic. And where can you get it?. I have no clue where to go.

How can u b sure the chicken and otther meat is organic. And where can you get it?. I have no clue where to go.
The Fresh Market has antibiotic free/vegetarian diet chicken as well as Wal-Mart. I'm sure Whole Foods has it too. I'm not finding grass fed and/or organic beef where I live.

I am very strict about buying ONLY organic meat/poultry, dairy (including butter), and eggs. Also, with animal products, I go for grass-fed finished and free range.

When it comes to produce, I don't ever buy organic if it has a peel (like a banana or orange). With everything else, I go with what has the best sales price. When I do buy conventionally grown produce, I make sure to wash it with a special fruit/veg wash. I figure that gets it as clean as it can be.

Do you have a Wegman's? My local one has a meat section about a local meat producer and a link to go and do your own research. Also, the farmer's market in town has links to all the places that come to it. Since it is local, I can usually do a little investigating on my own to be sure.

I eat almost entirely organic, too. I purchase my raw dairy, meat and eggs from a local farmer. All are raised on grass, out in the open (well, the chickens eat bugs, too, I guess). Its about the same price as organic at the store, but much higher quality. The yolks in the eggs are the deepest orange...I figure that's a pretty good sign of quality. I like knowing that I'm helping to keep this local dairy farm in business...they would have had to

Oops, my finger slipped and i sent that before I finished! Just wanted to say that without their raw dairy customers, this farm says it would have had to go out of business. I'd hate to lose a farm where the animals are treated with love and affection (well, farmer-style, some are eventually slaughtered) and the products are such high quality.

BTW, even if you're not interested in raw dairy, buying from a farm that sells organic raw dairy can be an indicator of high quality...they have to keep their herds very healthy and must feed grass/hay or the milk is much more likely to contain unwanted bacteria, etc. Like anything though, you have to do your homework. I am aware of one farm in my state that sells raw dairy that I would not drink, although as far as I know, nobody has become ill from their product.

I always choose organic/natural products when it comes to skin care and cosmetics. I also try to buy organic, the produce items deemed "the dirty dozen." :p (Though, admittedly, I refuse to pay $4 for ONE red bell pepper! :( )

Try to as much as I can. My neighbor has a wonderful organic vegetable and fruit garden and gives me bags of produce every week. Couldn't get more local than across the field.
I laughed at the $4 for a red pepper. My DH went to the local health food store for a tomato and they rang it up and said that's $5! He put it back.

I always buy antibiotic / hormone free chicken, meat, and dairy. I get organic as much as I can. I would grow more, but the local deer population think my yard is a garden.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.