Opinions on Lotte Berk workouts?

AKirkland

Cathlete
I read an interesting article in our local paper today on the Lotte Berk workouts, then checked out reviews on Collage Video. Almost all of the reviews are very positive. These workouts look like they could be a nice complement to my Cathe workouts. I am an ecto interested in muscle development and strength gains - not trying to lose weight. Has anyone tried these? If so, what do you think of them?

Thanks,

Angela

I read something about them too, so I bought them. I felt it was a complete waste of money. They were no good for me even on an off day. They only actually perform about 3 exercises after the warm up and cool down. I would advise against them, but someone else may think they are great. I guess it just depends on what you like and are looking for.

I wanted something that would work my lower body without any pressure on my terrible knees, so I picked up HRA and Basic Essentials on DVD at Borders or B&N. I traded them within a week (for 2 CIA's I've been wanting! :) ). I wanted to like these, but they really didn't do anything for me. I suppose if I used perfect form and technique they may have hit muscles differently, but there isn't much on form pointers on the workouts. The instructors are pleasant, but I felt nothing. The workouts are basically like other floorwork I've done, but in these you are standing up and leaning against a barre. I did the exercises both standing and kneeling, and neither way seemed like a workout. Bummer.

I am using LBM in this rotation I'm doing and I like them. I have never liked floorwork but I can get with LB. I guess you have to try them for yourself. I have been doing Cathe Strength and Firms for a while and was shocked when I awoke the next morning sore. Like Pilates you have to concentrate and do the moves correctly.

I think its a nice compliment to the Cathe rotation I'm doing.

Tpridgen

I actually like these DVDs (and I think it's worth getting the DVDs for the bonus segments). I have found them to be challenging in a different way, and I have to admit I was sore, especially in my quads, after doing muscle eats fat. I add the lower body from MEF to PLB and it seems to really work. Also I really like the hip hugger abs. I think these are great videos especially when added in to a rotation.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Can you please give a little bit of information on Hip Hugger Abs - types of exercises and perhaps compare it to another video workout that is similar in nature? I have been eyeing this one in stores.

Thanks!
Roe

Hi Roe! The Hip Hugger Abs workout consists of a pretty lengthy warm-up with stretching and both pushups and triceps dips. I often skip the warmup if I am coming off of another workout. The abs section consists of 5 exercises. First you do a series of rollbacks (kind of like a roll-up in pilates except going the opposite direction). You start holding onto one leg and then working on letting your arms go and holding the position. Second you do leg walks, both bent leg and straight leg, very similar to pilates. Then you do "Lotte Berk situps" which are like the rollup in pilates except your knees are bent like a sit-up and you come all the way up with your arms extended. Next you roll onto your side and do some double leg lifts to work you waist. The fifth and final exercise is planks. After each exercise you do a stretch, and then the whole video ends with a stretch. One thing about these exercises is you really have to focus on form because it's pretty easy to cheat. I do like it because there are 3 modifications clearly shown with the advanced one being pretty tough. Also, if you can I recommend buying the DVD because it has a bonus section that is pretty tough and very different. I hope this helps!

Angela

I am glad I saw this thread. These videos are on my latest want list. They do sound slow and B-O-R-I-N-G!!! Sometimes I wish I never got into Cathe in the first place cuz most other purchases end up being a waste of my $$$$!!!
Janice

Anyone else have anything to add? I have been considering betting the 4 DVD set since the reviews have been so great. Can you get a challenging workout?

Thanks,

Kathy

I really liked these workouts! I did a 4 week Slim Series/Lotte rotation, which was a nice break from Cathe (but I'm glad I'm back to Cathe, now!) and noticed after the rotation that my thighs were definitely slimmer and my butt smaller. I have muscular legs to begin with, and after this rotation my leg muscles looked longer. I didn't get the definition that I usually get when I do Cathe, but I think Lotte would be great for slimming down bulky legs. In fact, I'm going to start adding Lotte to my Cathe workouts because I want to see what results I get now that I'm eating cleaner. I also want to lose some weight in my inner thighs!

These workouts are only 30 min in length so they're easy to fit in. And the DVD's are a must because of the killer bonus workouts! The only workout I had trouble with was High Round Assets. I must not have been doing it right because it gave me a lot back pain. I love the other three, and noticed improvements in my posture after doing them. A lot of vidiots swear the Hip Hugger Abs transformed their mid-section. I didn't do it that often to notice the results, but it is tough and I'm sure I would have flattened out my tummy nicely if I continued to do it. I should mention I hate pilates, and didn't think I'd like these, so I was in for a nice suprise!

I just recently decided to stop using LBM in my rotation. They are way too beginner after you get the form correctly! I felt like saying to the tv "hurry up" sometimes. All they do is talk and review the form and blah,blah,blah!x( That's not to say I didn't need instruction at first, but after awhile(2 weeks), I couldn't take it anymore. B-O-R-I-N-G!!! And my you, I love floor work and standing leg work w/o weight! (I wish Cathe would do more!;-))

I did feel like they were working my legs, but not enough bang for my buck! I have better ways to torture }( my legs and abs and doing it in less time than any of the LBM DVD's!

I will admit I might try them one more time to make sure I don't like them! (I know that sounds crazy, but I have a hard time getting rid of videos!:eek: )

Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.