Opinions from all users

I just wanted to add that you should definitely focus on your diet. Most people agree that to lose weight, the attention you give to clean eating and healthy portions is even more important than exercise (though I would never sacrifice one for the other!).

And particularly with diabetes, what you eat great affects your blood sugar. If you haven't seen a nutritionist yet, I highly recommend that both you and your husband do. You'll really want to incorporate plenty of protein to keep your blood sugar stable, along with nutrient-dense carbs. (My daughter has Type 1, so I know a bit about this!) If you will live a healthy lifestyle, you'll avoid the complications that can come with diabetes, many of which can be avoided.

You can do this!

For type 2 diabetes, exercise is crucial to controlling it, as well as diet. In type 2 diabetes, exercise helps the cell receptors and the insulin response, this differs in type 1 diabetes. My dietetics and kiniesology classes had a lot on this.

I completely agree with Fitnessfreak and morningstar! If you're going to be using the bike or other machines for cardio , you might want to look into mp3 audio guided workouts, too. iTrain and Cardio Coach are the most popular and they will make sure you get the most out of your stationary equipment. I prefer Cardio Coach myself but they both work very well. If you do a forum search you'll find tons of information. ;)

Dorothyrd- my doctor said the same thing. Exercise and weight loss are going to be key to me getting off medication.

Miss Lee - thanks for the tip. I downloaded the C25K podcasts and 4 of the cardio coach programs onto my ipod.

Miss Lee - thanks for the tip. I downloaded the C25K podcasts and 4 of the cardio coach programs onto my ipod.
Oh, you'll love it all!! What kind of iPod do you have? If you have the iTouch or iPhone, there is a wonderful C25K app in the iTunes store that allows you to play your own music, and even Cardio Coach tracks (I use the instrumentals with the C25K program) in the background. Here's the link if you're interested. I just love it! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8

Good luck on your health and fitness journey and please take my best wishes with you!!

This list just made me realize all the good workouts I still need to revisit!

I agree that full body workouts and circuit workouts are a great place to start and work up some conditioning, then move onto a split routine like STS (awesome program btw). Maybe by working up to it, you will be able to those Meso1 legs after all!

However I have to say the structure of STS really helps me follow the rotation to a T.

Some comments on these dvds, Muscle Max is the reigning Queen of all full body workouts in my opinion, it's tough, but the pace is not too bad, and you can "go at your own pace" when you need to.

Supersets and push/pull if I remember remind me more of a circuit style, lighter weight workout, great additions to your weekly routine.

Oh bootcamp is fun and tough, that one really gets your heart pumping, I sweat a ton doing that one, and the one I like even more is Drill Max. I can't remember how I felt about Muscle Endurance but I believe that is also a circuit style workout.

Kick Punch Crunch is top notch, great cardio, I usually have to catch my breath for a bit somewhere during the last combo. I'm not a leg fan either, but I have been doing the sts legs, and I really enjoyed the plyo legs in meso 3.

The jury is still out for me about Chalene extreme. I personally did not give it a good chance, but it just did not click with me.

Good luck with whatever you choose, it goes without saying your DH is incredible for hooking this all up for you, he's a good guy.

You have so much motivation now, don't forget to use it, try not to get too hung up on the details, sometimes it's better to just start moving and figure it all out from there. So maybe tomorrow just pick something that seems appealing and do it, see how you feel, and adjust from there.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress!

Fitnessfreak,

So, in your opinion what do you think I should be doing then. Here's a list of the other DVD's I have:
Butt's and Gutts
Legs and Glutes/Kick Punch Crunch
Super Sets/Push Pull
Muscle Max
Gym Style (ALL 3)
High Step Circuit
Body Fusion
Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance
Low Impact Circuit
and Kick Max

I think my biggest obstacle right now is the fact that I hate to do legs so much. I really need to suck it up and just do it even if I don't like it.

OMG! You'd think with all the workout stuff I have I'd weigh about 100 pounds.

You have gotten some great advice here, in regards to BBL the cardio in the "boom boom" is fast and non-stop for 30 minutes. I would probably do your own cardio on the bike or whatever (until you build up your endurance) and then do an add-on with high and tight or sculpt. I really like high and tight, you can do the standing work with the bands by itself or keep going and do the floor work. I try to do this twice a week and have noticed quite a change in my lower body. I hate leg workouts but I find myself enjoying this workout. Cardio-axe is okay, not my favorite. Boom Boom Rapido and "live are short, I usually use them as an add-on on a day when I want a little extra cardio but don't have the energy to do Boom Boom. I don't use sculpt very often as I usually lift "heavy" but it is a pretty decent w/o. I hope this helps.
Katie

For type 2 diabetes, exercise is crucial to controlling it, as well as diet. In type 2 diabetes, exercise helps the cell receptors and the insulin response, this differs in type 1 diabetes. My dietetics and kiniesology classes had a lot on this.

Thanks for clarifying, Dorothy. There are definitely differences in how to handle Type 1 and Type 2, and I don't always remember the details for Type 2! People are constantly coming up to me, telling me how we can "cure" DD with these vitamins, or with this diet, or that she should just eat vegan. Which is okay - they are just trying to help!

wanttobefit2010 .... Kudos to you for taking charge. It's obvious you are making really good choices and putting forth the effort. So many people just take the medicine, instead of taking the opportunity to turn things around. Please keep us posted!

Thanks for clarifying, Dorothy. There are definitely differences in how to handle Type 1 and Type 2, and I don't always remember the details for Type 2! People are constantly coming up to me, telling me how we can "cure" DD with these vitamins, or with this diet, or that she should just eat vegan. Which is okay - they are just trying to help!

wanttobefit2010 .... Kudos to you for taking charge. It's obvious you are making really good choices and putting forth the effort. So many people just take the medicine, instead of taking the opportunity to turn things around. Please keep us posted!

Oh dear, I am sorry you get that. At work we have one woman who is type 1, diagnosed as a child. She has had to have several organ tranplants and it is sad to see her go from a quite active younger woman 25 years ago to really struggling. It is such a hard disease.

Another co-worker was diagnosed two years ago with type 2. He has lost about 75 pounds, and really watches his diet and exercises. He also has heart issues, so because he wants to see his grandchildren grow up, he works very hard to stay healthy. He still struggle with some things of the disease, and really wishes that when his blood sugar was borderline before he went full blown diabetic, he had done something.

I did some extra research in my classes because of this to understand the differences between the two. The one article I posted says that type 1 is more like an auto immune disease, which I think that definition sort of helps define it better.

I actually think of Type 1 and Type 2 as complete opposites in terms of their causes -Type 1 patients can't make their own insulin, Type 2 patients have an oversensitivity to insulin. They are very very different diseases in almost all ways.

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are two, TOTALLY DIFFERENT DISEASES and I wish to God they'd rename them. I lost my dear young niece to Type 1 last year. :'( :'( :'(

Some of the resulting problems are the same, nerve damage in extremities, organ damage, heart problems, can result from either one, but yes, they are very different, and need to be addressed differently. Type 1 is not something the person caused by their lifestyle, type 2 is and therefore is preventable.

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are two, TOTALLY DIFFERENT DISEASES and I wish to God they'd rename them. I lost my dear young niece to Type 1 last year. :'( :'( :'(

I wish they would rename them also.

Hokypoky - my DH has Type 1 and we get a lot of "advice" on vitamins and what not that can "cure" it. :( I had Gestational Diabetes with my second pregnancy and it was sooooo hard!!!! I really began to understand how tough it is to control your blood sugars and how much diabetes controls your life. Best of luck to your family.

Sorry it's take so long to respond to everyone. Work has been crazy this week!

Miss Lee- I have an Ipod shuffle. DD got a IPOD Touch for X-mas from her boyfriend and she gave me her old one.

Dela - Thanks for the rundown on the DVD's. I started this morning with Power Hour. Loved it!

Psusoccer17 - Can's wait to preview BBL. It was delivered yesterday, but again, work has been crazy so I haven't been able to watch them. Hopefully tomorrow.

Dorothyrd - Thanks for the web sites. They are a wealth of information. I've only been able to preview them, but hopefully tomorrow I'll really be able to dig into them.

Thanks again to everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.