Office Gift Exchange

saia11

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,
I need a little personal/professional advice. What's a polite way to saying that you don't want to participate in the office gift exchange? DH and I are expecting our second in the spring (so money is being saved as much as possible), and I only just started working there on a very part time basis. I teach at off hours, so I hardly ever see anyone. It's not just the gift, but you have to go out to this big dinner with everyone and exchange gifts, I'm usually so tired I just want to fall into bed at night, not go to the Olive Garden :)

Thanks!

IMO I think you have every right to politely just say "Thank you for thinking of me, but I don't wish to participate."

I don't think you need to provide any excuses to anyone. Is this something that you just RSVP for?

Heck I'm with Gayle. Politely say "No Thanks." Quite frankly I think it is sorta rude to expect everyone to participate, . . I hate that. Just prepare yourself and repeat after me, . ."I don't care what everyone else thinks." Cause there will undoubtidly be some of your co-workers that might feel that it not very "politically correct."

ITA with Janie and Gayle. Last year I just told people that I couldn't make it. I didn't give them an excuse and no one really asked. I don't plan on attending this year either.

I have had many jobs where I have been told that corporate frowns on those that don't show up but nothing really negative has happened to me. I figure those people are jealous and don't have the guts to say no.

I find the business holiday parties to be very scary. I spend 50 hours a week with these people, why do I want to see them on my off time.

Thanks

You guys are right, I think I am probably making a bigger out of this than it is. Probably channeling some nerves into this arena, from the "I haven't told them I've pregnant yet" arena :) Thanks for the moral support!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.