Off subject: calling foodies for advice

Amysue

Cathlete
To the educated "foodie" crowd:
I'm creating all the baked goods for a party next weekend. I'm making a low-fat blueberry pound cake and want to snaz up the presentation with some sugered or candied wild violets. I know I've seen this done somewhere and I don't recall it being very difficult. Does anyone have any ideas where I could look for a "recipe" or has anyone ever done this?
Thanks for any help.
Amy

Yes, I've done it.

Get unsprayed flowers obviously, if you can.

You need a small paintbrush (like a water color brush), a couple of eggs and some superfine sugar (C&H Bakers sugar is good). Depending on how many flowers you're going to do, put a couple of egg whites in a small dish or bowl and beat them a little to loosen them up. Use the paintbrush to brush egg white lightly on the flower, then dip the flower into a small bowl of the sugar, or alternatively, you can use a small sifter to lightly sift the sugar over the flower until it's well coated. Have a tray or cookie sheet with parchment paper on it nearby to put the flowers on to dry when they're done. They really look nice when you do that, kind of sparkly.

Here's a site with pics on it

http://www.weddingchannel.com/cgi-b...tion=/templates/LocalBusiness/Cakes/CDY1.html

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.