obliques

kel402

Cathlete
I have a thick waistline, very boyish. Should I avoid doing oblique work? I heard that may make it thicker?

According to George Snyder in the Freestyle book - doing too much oblique work can make you thicker around the waist. I THINK it said no more than twice a week. But as we all know genitics prevents some from having a small waist - like my sister, she is just more straight through the middle. Kickboxing has always been a waist whittler for me - but everybody is different.

There are a lot more people on this forum with a lot more knowledge than me - Hope they respond so you can different oppinions!

jooge

I have the same problem and yes, oblique work can make your waist thicker. I do obliques once a week only, & I avoid weighted oblique work since that builds the muscle.

Pilates is really good for toning the obliques without building them.

Another problem is heavy squats--they will also increase your waist size, but unfortunately this is one that can't be avoided for me since I'm trying to build some shape in the rear.

maybe when obliques are done, I'll just do more crunches. And squats? Yeah, you are right. You do contract those muscles. Yikes! Well, at least I'll be straight with less fat, right?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.