O/T Where to eat in Virginia Beach?

No real recommendations, Charlotte, just a rant. My SIL lives in Chesapeake and we have been visiting her almost every summer for the past 20 years. I have yet to have had a decent seafood dinner in that town! Maybe she just doesn't know where to take us, but I can cook much more imaginative and tastier fish here in North Central PA. We do try to get to the Beach Bully for BBQ at least once during our stays, but it was more fun to go there when it was just a shack where the lifeguards hung out instead of their newer restaurant. I'm hoping maybe someone will give you, and me, some help. Like a decent crab house maybe?

I lived in Va Beach for 2 years, and visit there once a year or so, and in my opinion, there aren't any really good restaurants in town. It's all pretty cheap, commercial, appealing to the All You Can Eat, IHOP, Denny's sort of crowd.

The Jewish Mother, on Laskin and Pacific, is interesting. The Raven, on Atlantic and 11th? 8th? I know it when I see it, is decent. And there is a pretty good seafood place at Rudee Inlet.

Sorry to be so negative, but that's just how it is at the oceanfront, I don't know much about the inland areas of Va. Beach.

>I lived in Va Beach for 2 years, and visit there once a year
>or so, and in my opinion, there aren't any really good
>restaurants in town. It's all pretty cheap, commercial,
>appealing to the All You Can Eat, IHOP, Denny's sort of crowd.
>
>
>The Jewish Mother, on Laskin and Pacific, is interesting. The
>Raven, on Atlantic and 11th? 8th? I know it when I see it, is
>decent. And there is a pretty good seafood place at Rudee
>Inlet.
>
>Sorry to be so negative, but that's just how it is at the
>oceanfront, I don't know much about the inland areas of Va.
>Beach.

Thanks...very helpful! I did a search on the best restaurants there and Rudee's on the Inlet and The Raven were considered a few of the best.

Charlotte~~

Oh my gosh! My daughter lives there and I just got back from there a few weeks ago. We had GREAT seafood! If you're into quantity, Captain George's is a wonderful seafood buffet. We didn't go to chain restaurants.

I never had a bad meal while I was there, but the only meat I eat is seafood, and the fish was fresh. Ask some locals.

Oh my gosh! My daughter lives there and I just got back from there a few weeks ago. We had GREAT seafood! If you're into quantity, Captain George's is a wonderful seafood buffet. We didn't go to chain restaurants.

I never had a bad meal while I was there, but the only meat I eat is seafood, and the fish was fresh. Ask some locals.

Also check out TripAdvisor.com. They list all restaurants for whatever area you're travelling to. I've had good luck with their reviews on many trips. Enjoy the beach!

Breakfast at Mary's in the beach area is a must I'd say. The sausage!!!! Oh my gosh! My mouth is just watering! A local favorite

Chesapeake itself isn't known for its restaurants. Captain George's is popular, but I kind of like Gus' Restaurant in the Ramada on 57th street & there are several other places on the Oceanfront that have good seafood if that's what you are into...i.e. Rudee's. Black Angus is also good---they have better steaks than seafood.

Leslie

I lived in Virginia Beach for a couple of years. A good casual seafood restaurant is Bubba's Marina.

Bubba's Marina
3323 Shore Dr
Virginia Beach, VA 23451-1021
(757) 481-3513

We went to a place last year, a friend of my husband is part owner and the food is wonderful, not much to look at form the outside, since it is in a strip mall, and it is not on the beach proper, but about 15 mins. away. I can find out the address from my husband, but it is called Hot Tuna. Have fun while you are there!
Donna

501 CITY GRILL
501 Birdneck Road
425-7195

We've been going to Virginia Beach for many years, and this is the only restaurant we keep coming back to. Everything from seafood to grilled pizza combined with a great wine list makes it a place to satisfy everyone. I'll be there next month! Have fun.... :)

I live in Norfolk. I would recommend staying away from the chains too. For seafood, I like Chicks Oyster Bar off Shore Drive.

Valerie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.