Nutritionist

RBurke

How do I go about finding a good nutritionist? I've looked in the phone book but can't find anything under nutrition or health. I really want to get the most from my diet. Especially now that I am in child-bearing years. Do nutrionists really help anyway? They don't push fad diets do they? I'm not into fad dieting.
Thanks.

ADA website

The ADA website http:/www.eatright.org, will help you locate a Registered Dietician in your area. While RD's have to meet educational requirements, complete an internship, pass a national exam & continue their education to stay current, any one can call themselves a nutritionist. In my yellow pages, RD's are listed with the quacks under nutritionist.

RD's are definitely into developing an eating plan for a lifetime, not fad diets. If you are contemplating children, I think meeting with a RD would be extremely worthwhile. We spent some time studying pre-natal nutrition in a nutrition class I took. It's amazing how much one can do before conception to launch their baby safely into the world. Of course the mother's nutrition during pregnancy & lactation is also critical for the baby's health. Typically, Dad's nutrition has little effect on the child!
Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.