Nutrition Resources?

ATC1986

Cathlete
I've come to the realization of just how little I know about proper nutrition. What are some of your favorite resources on how to eat better?

Hi!
What sort of goal are you aiming for? General health? Muscle building? Weight loss? Avoiding specific diseases? All of the above???? ;)

And do you have any dietary requirements in terms of what you can / won't eat?

Hello,

The first book I would recommend is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Carb-Cy...8&qid=1394478960&sr=8-1&keywords=carb+cycling

Why this book? Because I can recall you mentioning diabetes as being part of your family background. This will enable you to customise your nutrition plan making informed food selection should you decide to go for low , moderate or high glycemic carbs. The book explain food process in a simplistic way:):):). Minimal technical terms. The title contain the word Diet but the carb cycling approach is not a diet it's a practice you can customise to your own needs for a lifetime.:p:):)

Second book I would recommend is Eating clean by Tosca Reno. It's easy to find from google.

All the very best,

My goal is weight loss. I've managed to keep off about 30 lbs, but still have a lot left to lose.

My goal is weight loss. I've managed to keep off about 30 lbs, but still have a lot left to lose.

Make it an enjoyable journey. I encourage you to learn about nutrition to make change for a new lifestyle. Embracing a new health lifestyle is what is going to keep you going. Be eager to know how your body process food. once you have gained the knowledge you will be amazed and eventually kick yourself acknowledging the damaged!:eek: :eek:The weight will then come off and you will keep it off for life.

Many, including myself have succeeded. You can do it;);)

All the very best,

OK - the best place to start (no matter what your goals) is Michael Pollan's In Defence of Food. It teaches us to eat 'real' food, and not just 'nutrients'. I re-visit the book often. It won't help you lose weight necessarily, but it gets you thinking of food in the right way.

Then Gary Taubes 'Why we get Fat, and What to do about it'. Not a diet book, but a great insight into our habits.

I agree with Nathalie that Tosca Reno is good, and I also like Tanya Zuckerbrot.

The first place to start is ditching sugar. In any form. If that's not enough, then ditch the white carbs. etc etc.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about weight loss (I've never been overweight, although I have to keep an eye on things ;)), but read obessively about food and health!!!! I LOVE food! So if there are any more questions, please ask. And please stick to real food.

Fantastic for the weightloss so far, and best of luck with the rest of your journey.

I recently bought Precision Nutrition, and although I've read extensively about nutrition, I've found this guide especially helpful. This is the first time I've been able to improve my food choices over the long term. It is not a quick fix, but has helped me improve the quality of my nutrition. I didn't start with the intention of losing weight, but I can see improvements in my body composition after a few months. As for the scale, I don't know. I try not to use the scale as my guide. I do know that I look better( to me at least) and most importantly, I feel much more energized. This helps me stick with healthy choices. I really feel the difference like no other time before.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.