Nutrition Buddies

Helen_Z

Hi,

I hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July! I relaxed happily on the sofa and watched Horatio Hornblower with parents (3 whole complete movies?) Yes, I did. I felt a little togetherness was in order since I don't see them too much. Two gallons of Spumoni and cherry chip were in the frig but they weren't ordering ME around!

The double chocolate fire chip (cayenne) have been postponed till Saturday. My friend and I re-arranged our plans. I will definitely let you guys know how they turned out. I have to make them--I'm killted if I don't.

Do you guys want to post new goals for the week? Andrea?

Helen Z

I shouldn't be posting

I am in such a b*&%$y mood. This pregnancy thing is a joke and I would complain your ears off if I thought it was appropriate.

Let's see we've done water and late night eating. If I was normal a goal would be to eat at least one fruit or veggie at each meal and snack. Maybe just start out with each meal so it isn't too overwhelming. Don't be afraid to say this goal is no good for you all cause I won't even be joining in. Do let us know about those funky cookies though.

Andrea

Sounds like a good goal!

I like that idea. Overall I am pretty good with that, but then have the no veg/fruit days too. I had a nice Fourth, and made strawberry ice cream. It came out very well, and we still have quite a bit left. We went with half and half, and sweetened condensed milk, and it is still quite creamy, thank you. I think I will make a note of that. Last year we use heavy cream (that was all the dairy had then) and it was great. I think this is great too.
I remember tha whole pregnancy thing, and am pretty pleased to have it behind me. I may change my tune in a year or two, but then again, maybe not!!!! Good luck Andrea- if you can eat fruit an veggies while pregnant, you are doing better than most women, so don't beat yourself up.
Helen- the whole parent togetherness time is great- we had no family for this holiday. Glad to hear you could hold your own over the call of the ice cream. Way to go!!!

Sounds Good To Me

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-00 AT 06:27AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi,

Andrea, you sound pretty normal to me. Way normal! And I'm sure you and baby look very fine. I appreciate your input in helping us decide a goal. I always like to see what others come up with and its nice when you add your opinions to this check-in. I didn't feel right not asking you to come up with a goal. Remember, this check-in is not for people who want to starve themselves--its about making healthy choices. I wish society would show more than the occaisional picture of a preggers star. I know they have them in women's magazines, but if they were in more widespread media, I think more women would be comfortable pregnant. Sorry, I'm blathering!

Hey Blinda! Fresh Ice cream! Wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. As far a fruits and veggies go, I needed a little reminder. Have you checked out that book Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss? I got it from the library and it IS a wonderful pictorial reminder about the importance of fruit in one's diet. If you guys get a chance, take a look at it. It will really help you make better nutritional choices.

Helen Z

homemade ice cream

You are going to force me to buy an ice cream maker! I have been craving homemade strawberry ice cream for a few weeks now. And I've never even had it! A guy I work with makes homemade all the time, so that's probably why I want some so bad. yummmmmm

ice cream!

Hey BLinda, I just got my honey an electric ice cream maker for Father's Day! We used it on the 4th for the first time, we made "old-fashioned vanilla" out of the recipe book that came with it. We used all low-fat substitutions (fat free evaporated milk instead of whipping cream, 1% milk instead of whole) but we DID use real eggs. . . I didn't know if eggbeaters would work. . . .

Anyway, even with low-fat subs it was awesome stuff!! Loved it!! Anybody got any recipes for some sorbets?

I need you nutrition buddies!!

Alas, due to some major health reasons, my hubby and I had an appointment to see a registered dietician (of whom I used to be an office manager for) today. Wow, it never hit me before that the goal of eating was to re-fuel your body, period, amen! She said we can think of nurturing our bodies when we eat instead of over-indulging. It was like a light turned on for me or something. We discussed some of the long-term effects of the some the popular diets (Atkins, The Zone, Sugar-Busters) and to me, it's just not worth the sacrifice of the now. She helped me out too, I'm hypoglycemic and iron-anemic, my husband has high tryglycerides, gout, borderline high cholesterol. I'm really just in the nutrition thing for the health of it now, not trying to lean out anymore. Now that I know what portion sizes to eat and having received tons of information on reducing sugar and increasing vegetables in our daily eating, I feel I can actually do this! I used to concentrate on the things I couldn't have and now I just want to eat what I can and not look back! I bought an excellent cookbook at her suggestion called, "Quick and Healthy Recipies and Ideas" and I believe it's an answer to my prayers. The recipies are so simplified and easy to prepare, there's even a shopping list for starting out! Of course, I'm not going to buy every single thing...
Anyhow, I feel great about implementing a low-sugar (instead of concentrating on a low-fat diet) way of nourishing my body on a daily basis. Let's see how long this lasts...I've cut chocolate for almost 3 months now, I believe it was a very sacred spiritual experience that's led to the cut, but I didn't want anything to do with caffeine. Let's hope I recieve that same witness when I go back to the Reno Temple tomarrow (I'm Mormon).
Thanks for listening, my hubby is gone!
Myra

Welcome Myra!

I originally started this check-in as a one-on-one kind of thing, but you are welcome to join us. If you need support, we'll try to give it here. We post on Wednesdays and try to rotate setting goals so everyone gets to work on a goal that they feel is a need for them. If you like, you could post Wednesdays next goal. Usually, if a goal isn't up by 12:00 I (or someone else can) post a goal.

Helen Z

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.