NROL & Running

Is anyone doing the NROLW workout and also incorporating running as additional cardio?

I have been working on adding running as cardio for the past few month but last month pulled up a Smart Coach program to ready myself for a 10K (in case I get far enough to really enter one that is close to me).

But I need to add some good weight training and though I'd give NROL a shot. I would like to stick to 20 or 25 miles a week with one long run each week.

Any one doing the same or have any good advice?

TIA :D

I am thinking of starting NROL rotation in either May or June and I will also have an 18 mile race to train for that takes place in October. I was simply going to make running my main cardio for the NROL rotation and do my weights and running on alternate days.

Wendy - the Smart Coach training has running scheduled for 4 days a week and NROL is three. How many days a week do you run? Is 3 days a week enough in order to take at least one rest day per week?

Then a long day run would be the day before a rest day so as not to work legs the day after a long run?

I've never ran more then 3 days per week except for maybe a VERY rare ocassion and I have ran 5k's, 5 milers, a 15k, a 10 miler, an HM (with another coming up in 2 weeks!) and the 18 miler in October which I plan to train for the same way as I did the half!

It really depends on your goals. I don't believe anyone needs to run more then 3 days per week to train for any race...especially a short one...unless you are super serious about attaining a particular and tough time goal.

Heck, I trained for my first HM running only 2-3 days per week. I did a long run every other week and yes, my long run was usually the last work out of the "week" so I followed it up with rest day.

When I am not training for a race I usually only run once per week. That is enough to keep my endurance up while allowing me to enjoy other forms of cardio as well.

HTH!:)

Jacque-

Currently I am doing NROL4W and running. My runs are 3 days on the off days of NROL. I did add in a 3.5 mile on a NROL day this week and it was fine. Although I do not train for races, I have run up to 28 miles per week. I am most comfortable running around 15-20 miles per week.

Alternating NROL days with running has worked fine for me so far. My run distances have been any where from 3-7 miles. Currently I rest on Saturday and golf that day walking the course for active rest (about 4-5 miles)

I think you will be fine doing Smart Coach and NROL. Just make the day that you have to do both a short easy run. I did the run as my WU.

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

http://img109.mytextgraphics.com/myrainbowtext/2008/01/24/c07d67f3a8d2bfed065f377ce1494b6c.gif

Wendy and Judy -

Thanks for you inputs. I will probably just go for the 3 days per week then as I just took off an entire week because I was tired every day and with a pretty clean diet, figured it was time for a rest.

Do either of you workout only at home? I am wondering about the Lat pull downs since I don't have a gym membership. Figured I could do the pullovers, but those typically don't do much for me 'cuz I have a hard time with my shoulders and lifting heavy weights in that manner.

Was thinking of trying to incorporate pull ups/chin ups on a doorway bar like they do in P90X. Any ideas?

I am a gym member but only use it for the cardio machines. I do all of my weight work at home. For lat pull downs I plan to use the bands as they are used in the X. I have a pull up bar as well and will us it when the NROL rotation calls for pull/chin ups.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.