Not sure how to word this....

To whoop or not to whoop!? For me it depends on the circumstances. I too find some of the whooping in some of Cathe's workouts mildly excessive but tolerable. Although, a good hearty whoop after a particularly challenging exercise can feel pretty darn good, like when I'm coming up after the last set of chest presses in PUB. Or after finishing IMAX2 interval 9, now that's a well earned whoop.

When I joined a gym 8 years ago I was far to timid to whoop then one day it just bubbled up in and despite my natural tendencies not to, I spontaneously whooped and I liked it a lot. It's like a huge sigh of relief after intense exertion. Now that I teach classes I encourage a bit of whooping especially when we are on our backs doing tricep or chest work. Whooping is the call of many fitness participant, like a big anaerobic thank you. I agree that at times it is excessive but as annoying as it is to some it is as motivating to others.:)

Take Care
Laurie

>Am I the only one? I like a bit of background noise, it makes
>it clear that people are working really hard. It would be
>weird if they were completely silent. I wouldn't want so much
>of it that it sounded false, but I have never found it
>irritating at all in Cathe workouts.

Ditto to your comment!! I actually am glad that Cathe decided to add background sounds with other crews. It totally motivates me and letting me know that they are working very hard as Cathe and me. Sometimes, I make the same wooppie sounds as them so make me feel I am right there with them. Billy Blank uses these very same techniques in his videos and I think this is one of his key selling points.

This is one of reason why Bootcamp is my absolute all time favorite. I know I will feel and receive energy and power from the crews and Cathe. This gives me 100% energy pills and so refreshed after this workout.

I am hoping Cathe continually do this on her next series.

The whooping doesn't bother me at all. Most of the time I don't even hear it - I'm too busy having fun myself. Plus when you've got a 4 year old in the same room as you, you hear all types of noises in addition to the whooping. :)

>I've been reading this and what the heck is whooping? I do
>Bootcamp all the time and not sure what you guys are talking
>about???
>
>caf:eek:

WHoo! Whooop! Whooo!
(There's no way you can miss Cedie doing it in Bootcamp!).

The whooping doesn't bother me at all, and I had to laugh at the comment about the Firm workouts! I haven't done those workouts in ages, but I remember the "women" in the background used to remind me of mannequins or kewpie dolls, absolutely perfectly made up and never making a sound or breaking a sweat... lol. Sort of like the robot girls in "Austin Powers," yes?

Cheers,
Marie

>I think that whooping means "PAIN" esp. in PUB doing biceps.
>I think it's to say "Yo Cathe, my frigging arms are going fall
>off" :+
>

LOL, Haydee!

I agree. I used to teach high impact aerobics and the louder the class the better I taught or at least, the more I got into it! At least I knew the class was getting into with me.

I agree interval 9 from Imax 2 deserves a big "Whoo Whoo!"

Dallas

Don't know why, but the whooping definitely bothers some people more than others. There are lots of posts from whooping haters on Video Fitness. I don't mind it myself, probably because the sound of my wheezing drowns it out:D

But I'll tell you, honestly, I used to do The Firm and I will take whooping any day over Heidi Tanner's sanitized little "That was tough" after military presses as your arms dangle uselessly at your side....

Hang in there. Maybe you can learn to ignore it!

-Karen

I don't really notice the whooping all that much either. Usually I'm whooping it up too. It's like a huge relief when I've pushed myself to the limit.

I registered and am posting for the very first time here in support of your defense of Cedie. I like it when exercisers "whoop," both in real classes and on the videos. The workouts are so challenging and when you're there and really kicking it, it's a form of appreciation for the instructor, to show him/her that you're enjoying your workout and the choreography.

I also think it's sweet that Cedie has been with Cathe from the start, and I imagine that she's a longtime friend of Cathe's, too. I like seeing her friendly face and knowing that she's stuck with the hard-core exercise these many years.

I say whoop it up and instead tune out the negativity on the forum!!

** Many men grunt like crazy when weight-lifting at the gym. They don't have a problem with other exercisers hearing the audible sounds of their efforts, although it sure can be very comical at times.;-)

I also think the whooping is to help Cathe stay motivated during filming and a way to show pain. lol I know in Step Blast during the blast section there is a spot where Cathe actually says, "are you still back there? Pick me up." This makes me think that she is wanting those background exercisers to whoop and keep the workup moving and upbeat.

I've read some of the anti-whooping posts at VF and I could never "get it"! I love the whooping! And I love Cedie (thank God Cathe has her keeping count!). I appreciate all the reasons anyone would whoop or whimper. Makes the workout more interesting and adds a fun factor to what otherwise can seem a session with the Torturer! I'm used to all the chatter on Charlene Prickett's and Debbie Seiber's workouts. So when the instructor is the only one talking and the crew is SILENT, that bothers me!!! Some time back I was doing a workout and wondering about those silent background exercisers. Oh how I wished they'd either whoop or make some comment to show they're really alive!

>I don't notice the whooping at all..... I think it is drowned
>out by my whimpering....:+

LOL! ditto that! I haven't noticed it in the few videos I've done (or the ones I've just watched and NOT done yet! lol), but I too think it's because I'm so caught up in "not missing a step" and in trying to just "keep up". lol I hope I don't start to notice it now too.

Your post had me laughing. I notice the whooping but don't really mind it. The only video I REALLY notice it is in Bootcamp. If you have ever watched an adult video, the sounds I hear in Bootcamp remind of the ones you hear in those videos, if you know what I mean. TOO FUNNY.............

I'm with the "thank-you whooper" crowd. I just appreciate the fact that they are really working out in those segments. Not just doing some soft butter intensity work to shoot the video.

I didn't know who the whooper was -- but I need them. Please don't stop whooping. I appreciate the energy. It lets me know that they are with me.

txteacher, maybe you notice it more, because you saw the workouts first, and then, later worked out along. Maybe your mind was already too aware of it BEFORE starting doing the workouts. I don't have any suggestions for you, though. Sorry.
Are the whoops so loud that don't allow Cathe's voice to be heard, literally, or is it just distractful? If it is just a distraction, maybe some mental games might do the trick.
Mariela

I do not like the whooping, and I remember when I first got the Intensity Series, it really bothered me. But now, I barely notice it. I've done them so many times! And also, I had to pay a lot more attention when I wasnt' as familiar with the workouts. Now, I am just heaving weight and jumping around like crazy and barely notice the whooping.

So, my point is, maybe as you get used to the workouts, it will get better for you too.

And I did notice, maybe due to the complaining on the forum, who knows, there is a LOT less whooping in the Body Blast series than there was on Intensities.

OK I have to put my 2 cents in. First of all we are soooo lucky to have the BEST instructor on the planet to guide us. Her workouts are by far the best and I have an extensive video/dvd library of just about anyone you can think of. You said that this is why you went to a gym. What kind of class did you take at a gym? How boring for everyone if it was so silent. I personally love the hooting and hollering. It makes me feel like I'm working out in class with them. It makes it feel real. I teach aerobics and my class hoots and hollers and moans all of the time. I love it and so do they. We all laugh out loud and I am told by everyone that they love the environment and that is why they come back. I'm not trying to be critical. You have your opinion of what you like and what works for you but you have to accept the people on the videos for being themselves and not little robots reading cue cards. If you seriously love the workouts but hate the noise try the mute and use your own music. If you have done them enough cueing shouldn't be a big problem. If it is bothering you to the point that you are not getting a good workout I would stop using that particular workout if I were you. Working out is tough but should also be a positive experience.
Good Luck!!

I personally love the hootin' and hollerin'!

When I workout early morning I have to be quiet because everyone else is still sleeping. If, however, I do a workout later in the day, I've been know to give a hoot or two. And sometimes a moan or groan, too.

Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.