Not so sure about Friday's roadtrip

haydee

Cathlete
VERY brief summary of why I may not be attending....LOWER BACK PROBLEMS.

Don't really know what happened to my back.
Went to the chiropractor (last year) and going back again.
News not too good--something about degenerative bones....says with continual visits, I can get better.
Chiropractor seems to think it happened during childhood (used to be a tomboy, jumped from roofs, swinging from fire escape to fire escape)
Spine looks like the letter "S".
Lumbar area have improve from last year, but neck needs a lot of work.
Have to be very careful walking, feels like spasms or my spine jolts.
Trying to will myself better.
FEEL LIKE CRYING, SCREAMING, HIDING, GOING AWAY & NEVER COMING BACK.
Can't afford to quit my job, b/c now my dh has 2 gyms.
Dh didn't to things right with 1st gym.....financial wise, which is why I can't quit this job; can't afford to really hire workers. Kind of stupid right, can't afford to hire workers, but we're opening another gym?????????

Can't say any more b/c I just returned to work after being out Mon. & Fri. b/c of my back. ??Two wks?? prior to that, was out 3 days b/c of strep.

I'M ALL MESSED UP ;( ;( ;(

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

Aw Haydee! That is terrible girl!!! I was wondering where you have been. I hope you have a speedy recovery and i hope you feel well enough to come on Friday too! Keep us posted. This makes me so sad!!!;( you have my thoughts and prayers!

jes

Haydee, I am so sorry! I will definately be praying for you to recover quickly and have the strenth and comfort that you need to get through your work situation!! Hang in there! His hands are strong!

Missy

Haydee, that's awful!!!

Just a word of warning. When I was younger, I went to a chiropractor who told me all sorts of terrible things about my back and told me that if I didn't continue to see him on a very regular basis, I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30. I did NOT continue to see him and I'm quite obviously not in a wheelchair, though I'm well past 30. Please get a second opinion, either from another chiro or from your regular doctor.

I am so sorry Haydee!! I hope you recover quickly and can join us. Hang in there and remember we will be thinking of you and hoping you get better soon. :)

Haydee, I'm so sorry you're going through all that. It might be good to get away just for the weekend, even if you can't workout, you can relax with us for awhile. It sounds like you need some R&R and some hugs from 110 of your closest Catheite friends!!

{{HUGS!!}}

Angie

Oh Haydee,

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. Chronic back pain is so debilitating. Has your chiropractor ever suggested an MRI? A friend of mine started out with a chiropractor for his back and ended up having surgery for a ruptured disc. Two weeks later he was back at work, with some restrictions and LITTLE pain.

I'd hate to see you miss the roadtrip. You don't have to participate in all the workouts. Maybe sit them out or join in very gingerly? I'm thinking that meeting Cathe and other like minded Catheites is going to be it highlight this weekend, not the exercise.

Haydee...

That's really messed up! I'm so sorry. As was said previously, please get a second opinion. Sometimes Chiropractors will say anything to keep you coming back. I have found that once you go...you always feel you need to go. I've never understood that. That's just my opinion but if it works and you feel better, then do what you have to.

You already have your ticket and you have already made reservations for the Road Trip so go and enjoy being with everyone else...no use sitting at home...this will be good for you!

Take care...I'll be thinking of you.

~Marietta
FITXME

Awww Haydee, you poor thing!!! I agree with Shelley, you may want to get a 2nd opinion. I have a really hard time believe tomboyish behavior in childhood messes up people's backs. I was a tomboy and my back is fine. And little boys do all that kind of stuff too, and most of them turn out fine. Hang in there, Haydee - you will be ALRIGHT!! (((HUGS))))

Oh Haydee I am so so sorry you're having all this trouble. I truly hope you can make it b/c I have really been looking forward to meeting you.

Haydee,

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Can you come on the road trip and bring a heating pad and just hang out with us? I would love to meet you and I think you could use a couple days away from your husband.

I hope you feel better. This is just awful.

Lunacat

I'm sorry you're having back pain, Haydee and I hope you recover soon.

I also want to second what Shelley said. I threw my back out once and my chiropractor wanted to see me every day for a month and then weekly. He also wanted everyone in my family to see him. I didn't take him up on his offer and recovered just fine.

Take care and hang in there.

You guys are SOOOOOO SWEET & SOOOOO CARING. I thank you guys so much for your response & prayers.

I'm trying really hard to stay positive, but this is the 3rd time I've been to a chiro and when you see your x-ray of your neck in an abnormal pos. it makes you worried.

The 1st chiro I went to I was never examined, he adjusted my back gave a brace which I wore for six weeks. Second injury was worse than the first one. However this chiro I'm seeing now is pretty good. She does, exams, scans, won't touch you until results come back, doesn't believe in giving meds. My first treatment with her I felt 90% better after leaving her office, but this time I didn't feel 80% better. But I go again tonight after work.

You know what, b/c you women are SOOOOO SPECIAL to me, regardless if I can't do a w/o, I'm going on the trip anyway :D

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

>Haydee, that's awful!!!
>
>Just a word of warning. When I was younger, I went to a
>chiropractor who told me all sorts of terrible things about my
>back and told me that if I didn't continue to see him on a
>very regular basis, I would be in a wheelchair by the time I
>was 30. I did NOT continue to see him and I'm quite obviously
>not in a wheelchair, though I'm well past 30. Please get a
>second opinion, either from another chiro or from your regular
>doctor.

Yeah, what she said. My dad had a similar experience when I was young. He was told essentially the same thing, and he did end up in a wheelchair (and in hospitals, traction, multiple surgeries etc.), but it was because of the chiro, not because he didn't go.

Of course, there are good and bad doctors everywhere, and you are obviously in pain, but just remember that this doctor has a monetary interest in keeping you coming back over and over again. I believe a second opinion with a non-chiro is in your best interest. Then you can make an informed decision.

I DO hope you get to go. I'm not going on the road trip, but I would hate it even more to think I was planning it, then didn't get to go.

Get better,
Shari

Sorry for the bad news about your back but GOOD NEWS you are still coming. Trust me, you can relax any time you want. You will be the ONLY one we'll make an exception for. Did I tell you we have a relay that ALL have to particiapate in with 50 Terminators in a row??? J/K! Really, sorry, just thrilled to hear you are coming. Remember...I packed a HUG for you!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

yes! we can take turns carrying you around on our shoulders!!! i'm SO glad you are still comming!

jes;-)

I promised myself to not post anything today -- I'm running short on time -- but this just broke my heart.

Haydee, I've always wanted to meet you and am glad you're coming anyway.

You know, my spine also looks like an S, or almost like one. I have two curves on my back, and my spine is degenerating as well. I learned about this when I was 28. I'm always careful about what I do. From the beginning, I've made sure to increase my weights slowly and in small increments. And there are exercises I don't do, like flyes or presses on the stability ball. Not good for my back. I can't go like a tabletop for rows or kickbacks. I'm always at a 45-degree angle. I limit my weights for squats and lunges as putting so much weight on my shoulders compresses my spine. Even when doing deadlifts, there is a limit. If I go beyond 45 lbs., I feel it in my back. Even some core exercises in CM segment 3, where you use a med ball, can irritate my lower back. I just find what my body can and can't take and go from there.

It was my doctor who told me I HAD TO work out. Weight training and yoga. My bones aren't strong, so I have to have strong muscles. This way both my muscles and bones support each other. I also need to do yoga to stretch the muscles and help my joints. Before all this, I was on 3 prescription meds for osteoarthritis and pain, and to relax my muscles. My back gave out when my son was about 9 months old. He was the kind of child you had to carry all the time. I'd have involuntary spasms on my back, and I had to go to PT for a while.

I'm lucky to have a doctor who checks on me and asks about my back, even if I go to her for asthma, allergies and the usual sinus infections.

Do ask for a second opinion. It always helps to have another perspective. I consult a friend who is a PT every now and then. He has been a lifesaver and I can't thank him enough.

I hope to see you soon.

Pinky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.