not happy with jari's "extremely ripped"

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
Has anyone else gotten this DVD and have any opinions about it? I am really curious as to what other people think of it. I am considering sending it back, and I almost never return a workout DVD. I like the music and the energetic feel to it, but I am not happy with (1) the lack of decent chaptering on the DVD; I just had to fast forward through an entire workout to "find" the ab section, (2) the lack of good back muscle work, and (3) I did not feel like I got a good weight workout - with all the fast moves and combining upper and lower body moves, I had to use light weights (for example, when combining squats with lateral raises, I had to use the weights I can handle for the lateral raises, which are too light for the squats). Anybody else want to "weigh in," ha ha, pun intended :) ???

I do like several of her other DVDs - Slim and Lean, Ripped and Chiseled in particular. But this new one, Extremely, is not one I'd recommend. Note the DVDs are cheaper - but there is a reason - if you are used to the great chaptering, premixes, mix 'n match etc. on Cathe's DVDs - be aware that Jari's DVDs do not have these high production values. Anyway I wanted to try Extremely because I really like a couple of the others, so gave it a shot.

I really like all of Jari's workouts EXCEPT this one. Too many squats and lunges in EVERY SINGLE SEGMENT, it all moves too fast, no rests, and not in a good way - it feels very rushed to me. I have only done it once (I did both 30-minute segments, may have been a mistake) and will have to try it at least once more, but so far it's my LEAST favorite.

I don't have this dvd, but I do have her other ones. I don't know - for me she's just ok. She definitely doesn't challenge me like Cathe. I only use Jari when I need a mental break from a Cathe workout, and when I want something easier. Glad to know this about her new dvd - I don't think I'll be getting it.

For anyone who does want to buy her dvds - I got all of mine at Ross for like $5 or $6.

This one does seem off a bit. I liked Ripped to the Core, but this one doesn't seem to flow as smoothly. Jari seems more laidback, but her form isn't good on some moves. She doesn't give too many form pointers also, considering the moves are a bit new and different.

I've been getting into Chalean's Extreme so I thought I'd like the combo moves in this one.. I just previewed it, so I'll try the workout first before making my final decision on it.

I like Jari's other workouts o.k. that I bought for extemely cheap at Ross but nothing about this one interests me. I've got my fill of Jari workouts unless she comes out with something different from her usual stuff.

I also like a couple of Jari's workouts, but NOT Extremely Ripped! I was very annoyed by the feel of it and by Jari's comments. I also feel that Jari lacked energy and just seemed blah in the workout. She is definitely NOT an athlete...

Wow, I am SO glad you posted this. I like Jari's Ripped 1000 and was considering purchasing Extremely Ripped. Cross that one off the list.

Thanks;)

Sarah

I am in the minority, I enjoyed it. I did both segments on Saturday. I thought the 1st segment was a little tough. I did do the workouts on 2 risers which gave additional cardio (The Step is optional). Jari seems to chat during stretches but other than that I enjoyed. I think I would do this a split workout, though, and do cardio afterwards.

Demo's on youtube

After watching some of the longer segments that others have posted on youtube (not the trailer) I will not be purchasing it. She appears to be barely moving, not sitting into the squats and her arm movements with the weights are not in good form between the movements. Her other DVD's are more refined but have a relaxed feel and I will do the others... whenever I feel the need to do a million reps.

Heather

Hate to Hear This

I love Jari's Ripped workouts. I use them when I want a break from Cathe's intensity and I always have DOMs when I do Jari's workouts. I guess it is the high rep low weight poundage that helps me when I have hit a plateau with Cathe's workouts.

I preordered the DVD for appx $10 as a preorder.

I previewed the workouts and they looked good to me, but until I actually do a workout I can't give an honest assessment.

Jari is a good instructor, but she is no Cathe. Of course there is nobody like Cathe in the home fitness industry. Cathe is a tough act to follow.

My initial of Jari's DVD is cosmetic. The set of Jari's new DVD is gloomy and I don't like the workout clothing. I am not usually picky about what a fitness instrutor wears, but these outfits look cheesy and cheap to me.

I will have to wait untiil I come off my entire STS series to actually do Jari's new workout.

Then I can give an honest assessment of the workout(s).

Thanks everybody for the input!

I still look forward to giving Extremely Ripped a try!

Last edited:
I have this one (two copies actually- whoops!) and I haven't done it yet; I may not get around to it for quite some time, as I have about 30 new workouts to play with. But I never actually used low weights for Jari's workouts- I would always do down pyramids, starting at a very high weight and working my way down to lower weights until I reached fatigue or until she finished her 100th freakin' bicep curl, fer cryin' out loud! I really built some muscle that way, but lifting the same baby weight 100 times? Why, for god's sakes?

I like this DVD too, though I get frustrated with some aspects, including the issue with chaptering (I too fast fwd'd through the whole thing to find the abs section the first time I viewed it. Arrgh.). In some cases, too, the camera work is wacky. She'll cue you to change the move up and the stinking camera will suddenly show the torso of some person on the back row. Now, having said all of that, the workout is effective -- ESPECIALLY if you use the STEP and follow the back row. I've added into my rotation in combination with running and Cathe DVDs for about 4 weeks now, and have noticed more definition all over, slimming of legs and hips and good arm tone. I'll deal with the pet peeves if I get results.

Hi -
I've gone through all her DVD's on Netflix, and I have sent every one back withou doing the workout. I am not a fan at all.

I have all of Jari's workouts except this one. The previews I saw didn't appeal to me, for many of the reasons already stated. Some of the combination moves looked just awkward, and difficult if not impossible to do effectively and safely. The comments on the lack of good back work make me doubly glad I didn't order this one!

For those of you disappointed in it: did buying it make you feel extremely ripped off? :)p I just couldn't resist!)

ETA: I just checked out some of the clips on Youtube, and what's happened to Jari? The bad form (swinging her upper body, knees over toes, swinging the weights on some moves), the whacky clothing (shiny pleather?)...and the "burns # calories per minute" notation on the bottom of the screen (as annoying as her "we're burning carbs" talk in her previous workouts).

Last edited:
same as everyone else this one didn't appeal to me at all. the moves, the set, the clothes and bad reviews. nope. I'm sad cause I DO like her other ones. esp ripped and chisled. I also like slim and lean and ripped 1000.

Unfortunately, I have two copies! (don't ask!) Neither of which I have actually done yet, but given the reviews I've heard from others, I doubt I'll get to them anytime soon.

I have all of Jari's workouts except this one and I got them all except one for cheap, cheap, cheap at Ross (who no longer has workouts by the way). I enjoy Jari and find her tough in a completely different way from Cathe. They are nothing alike in their approach to weight lifting or the delivery. Jari is ultra calm. I don't know that I would pay full price for her workouts but the ones I have are worth keeping. I have read many negative reviews of Extremely Ripped, even from people who like and use Jari's other workouts so I have not purchased it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.