No, they just don't "get it" huh?

I think Kathryn's idea is an excellent one.

My attemps at Cathe evangelism have been woefully unsuccessful. I have only one convert. I've pretty much given up.:p

I still have the Intensity Series and CTX on video tape and I'm just waiting for some young new mom, who used to be able to go to the gym, who is pining for a good workout and doesn't know what to do. I'm just going to pull her aside and say, "Sweetie, I've got something I think you're gonna like...." (Just hope she has a video player still:p)

Maggie:)

If you're in a mood to really screw with someone (as I am right now!), next time someone you know really won't 'get it' asks about your fitness regimen, try this:

"I don't even workout...I just think myself into shape. It's amazing, but it works! Every day, I sit in a quiet spot, grab some chocolate (it stimulates brain activity) and imagine what I want my body to look like. Since I started, I've lost 15 pounds, and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life!"
:cool:

Actually Kathryn your idea has already been done by someone wiser than you because she is making money off of it...it's called Shapely Secrets and it has financed Greer Childer's cosmetic surgery for many moons now.

:( I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but here I go again. We were at dinner last night with another couple. Wife knows about Cathe -- I've shown her some Cathe DVDs. She works out, but thinks that anything Cathe calibur is WAYYYY too intense - she's more a pilates, stretching, walking gal with every now and again some weight work thrown in (I think she's got up to 12# weights.) No big deal - I don't try to sway her from her routine, but she DOES ask about Cathe.

So she knew I had RT'd it this year and last night asked how it went. Now I have always maintained about that RT that unless you are a Cathe fan and can truly appreciate how genuine she is and how amazing the bond of the whole experience is, then there are no words to adequately describe the trip. Still, wife and hubby pressed me for details. So during dinner I shared some details, and I mentioned STS coming soon. Husband asks about STS, I gave some details, wife says it's clearly not for her. And then it came. Husband asked if this was all home video stuff and I said yes. He looked at wife and said "Oh so this is like that Denise lady that you exercise with on TV" to which wife replied, "no honey, this lady is more intense than that - she's more like the Kathy Smith tape that I use when I really want to work hard."

And I was done.

Well, I just laughed out loud!

Nope...

People will never get it. I don't even bother trying to discuss it with people that don't really want to know. It's not worth my time.

I've pretty much accepted the fact that people won't understand, won't listen to me, etc and I really could care less at this point.

The fact is that I am in better shape then pretty much anyone I know so I am obviously doing SOMETHING right. If they still can't "get it" then that's their issue, not mine.:)

I love it! I was talkin' with a football momma the other day. She was bemoaning because she didn't have time to go to gym, etc....meanwhile she sat there for 2 hours watchin' and chattin' during football practice. I just said, "I workout at home." I didn't go into details, etc. Luckly for me, the practice field is about 5-7 minutes away. I try to finish working out but there are days when I go home and can get an hour or so in. I even suggested power walking for an hour with weights.

There are 2 other mommas who work at Gold's Gym. One teaches BodyPump and BodyStep and other BodyCombat or Attack. They would be perfect to do a walking/bootcamp during practice.

I've had a few conversations like that myself. You just want to tell them that THEY DO NOT GET IT! I have had the pleasure of inviting some of these people over to my house for a little workout. It's funny that I never hear a word out of them again!

I haven't had a chance to read through all the responses yet but had to tell you all the response I always use when people roll their eyes at home fitness and at Cathe. I always say "The thing about Cathe is she doesn't JUST do home fitness. She and her business partner run one of the largest gyms in the the United States, located in New Jersey. It's really cool because the place is full of body builders and power lifters and functions as a kind of laboratory to see what works..." Somehow, mentioning the words "one of the largest gyms" and "body builders and power lifters" seems to legitimize her. You have to remember, most people don't know Cathe the way they know Denise Austin and Kathy Smith so those ladies are all they think home fitness is. Given that, can you blame them for not taking home fitness serious? I'm hoping STS will get Cathe out there but, though I know most of you here hate to hear it, unless Cathe's workouts get a wider audience through infomercials nothing will change. I can tell you a lot of men and women where I work are very serious about fitness and every single one of them (but me) uses P90X, which they would never have heard of had it not been for the tv infomercials. These people are F.I.T. and very serious. If Cathe's people don't plan on producing an infomercial for STS, I think they're making a big mistake. Word of mouth (as illustrated by the original post in this thread) is not effective if everyone STILL thinks Cathe does the same stuff as Denise Austin! If they see a bunch of women doing chin ups on late night tv it just might wake people up. It will certainly attract a lot more men, which can't hurt.

Too funny....I gave up a long time ago trying to convince anybody of being fit. They won't get there or even try unless they want to, so no use nagging. (especially the ole DH, lol)

Ooh, I don't know how I'd feel about a Cathe infomercial. Clearly, the more people she can help the better, I know I'm grateful! I just can not stand the "I've tried everything" testimonials (no you didn't!). I guess my problem with infomercials is that the product is always touted as THE solution, the magic method, when really any fitness program that gets utilized will work. As long as they made it clear that it's not a miracle, it's *work*.

"You have to remember, most people don't know Cathe the way they know Denise Austin and Kathy Smith so those ladies are all they think home fitness is. Given that, can you blame them for not taking home fitness serious?"

Ironic, given that a good chunk of the population is sedentary and would find Denise Austen workouts challenging, at least to start.

I'm not out there to try and convince anyone to use Cathe's workouts. I'm hardly her PR person. The only problem I have is that people are constantly making fun of me for working out at home and using her workouts. WTF?!?!? Even my DOCTOR doesn't believe me when I tell him how hard I work--simply because I do it at home and not at a gym. It's such a frustrating stereotype/prejudice against home exercisers.

So it's not that I'm frustrated because people don't know her or won't try her. I'm just tired of defending myself. NO ONE--and I mean NO ONE that I know thought that my going on the July RT was anything more than a ridiculous joke. They couldn't believe I'd spent money to do that. They insisted that CATHE should have paid US to go. They just don't understand. I'm so tired of feeling like a loser because I workout at home. Why is the gym so much cooler? I was a gym rat for YEARS and years and finally gave that up about a year ago and solely workout at home now.

I don't know. I can't describe it. I just feel made fun of and rejected all the time by people. My family thinks I'm nuts.

My mom popped over to my house one night while I was working out because her electricity was out. I usually do my workout in the AM and I can't for the life of me remember why I was doing it so late...but, my mom came by and she was completely rude about my workout. I had 2 20's in my hands...I was doing PUB, up only...and I was doing Tricept extensions when she walked in my exercise room...my hubby didn't even warn me.

I heard, OMG...why do you bother doing that...why don't you just go out and ride your horses if you want exercise...what if you drop that on your head...blah blah blah...I continued the set...I stopped and I said, rudely...What do you need....She explained to me about the electric and I gave her a towel and told her to help herself. I continued back to my exercise room and continued what I was doing...only for her to come back in and see me doing curls with 20's then 24...and I told her I'd be with her in a minute....

She asked me to walk her out...I did...she didn't say anything else....

a few months later, we went swimming and she saw my arms...for the first time and she was like holly cow...you could lift a horse...na...not yet.

People in my very close circle know that I workout...and sometimes they say stupid stuff but most the time they let me be...people outside the circle usually assume it's from riding, cleaning stalls and just the physical labor from living on a horse farm. I call that my bonus workout...smile.

I'm not out there to try and convince anyone to use Cathe's workouts. I'm hardly her PR person. The only problem I have is that people are constantly making fun of me for working out at home and using her workouts. WTF?!?!? Even my DOCTOR doesn't believe me when I tell him how hard I work--simply because I do it at home and not at a gym. It's such a frustrating stereotype/prejudice against home exercisers.

So it's not that I'm frustrated because people don't know her or won't try her. I'm just tired of defending myself. NO ONE--and I mean NO ONE that I know thought that my going on the July RT was anything more than a ridiculous joke. They couldn't believe I'd spent money to do that. They insisted that CATHE should have paid US to go. They just don't understand. I'm so tired of feeling like a loser because I workout at home. Why is the gym so much cooler? I was a gym rat for YEARS and years and finally gave that up about a year ago and solely workout at home now.

I don't know. I can't describe it. I just feel made fun of and rejected all the time by people. My family thinks I'm nuts.

Let 'em think what they want, Allie, we know differently...I remember my wife asking me about the RT when I got home, I told her it was like a buzz without the booze, the most natural high I have felt in years that didn't involve doing something with my wife.

I'm done with trying to convince anyone, male or female to discover the benefits of home fitness, all I know is this...I was dripping from head to toe, after Drill Max last night, went through almost a gallon of water, and didn't have to worry about hopping in my car afterward because I was already home..it doesn't get any better than that!!

I showed the online clip of Butts and Guts to a friend, male, who I work with to show him and when I told him I did that video a week later he said "oh, you mean the "just in case you're not dead yet, there's more to do video? " hehe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.