NO EQUIPMENT bodyweight-only DVD

Strongfitgirl

(Sorry -- haven't visited for a while and can't remember the email address I used or my user name so have re-registered.)

The one exercise DVD/download that is missing from your FANTASTIC range is a BODYWEIGHT-ONLY (ZERO equipment needed) one. I would like to buy from you a zero-equipment (no bands even) bodyweight-only DVD/download having strength-only premixes of various lengths including 90 minutes, 60 minutes, 30 minutes and 20 minutes; HIIT 'metabolic' training using bodyweight exercises in places of dumbells/bands exercises in between the plyo/athletic drills/other cardio, also with premixes of different lengths; single-body-part strength premixes; signle-body-prt HIITstrength premixes; upper body strength and HIITstrength premixes; lower body strength and HIITstrength premixes; a premix or two that do not require lots of space, preferably of different lengths; and a killer abs workout -- all using ZERO equipment. Could include some premixes for crazy-high-strength-and-energy days and others for weak-and-low-energy days in addition to premixes of different lengths.

Incidentally, I think that if you use some of the bodyweight exercises that men use, like shoulder press in a handstand, you would need to show some serious modifications, because I and many other women can't actually do many of the men's bodyweight only strength training exercises. (I can't even do an unmodified push-up, even after decades of weight training.) I just think Cathe is so brilliant that she might be able to come up with ingenious ways of strength training using bodyweight only (and, let's say, a standard chair/table) that the men have not thought of, because they are strong enough to do the exercises people like Steve Cotter (on his Spartan Series Enclyclopedia of Bodyweight Training or some such name DVD series) demonstrate. I can do only a small fraction of most of Cotter's suggested bodyweight exercise moves but I love the concept. Dislike the fact that he just demonstrates the movements, doesn't put them in a workout. Desperate for Cathe to create the missing workouts!

Ideally, I would like Cathe to add to this workout an optional 15-20minute deep-relaxation segment. I can never remember which of my many many Cathe DVDs has the particularly relaxing bit in the cool-down at the end, but one of them has a cooldown that is so relaxing it makes me fall asleep. I think it must be one of the easier/intermediate workouts or I would know which it is, as I tend to use the advanced ones. But that section I am thinking of is strikingly fabulous in terms of its ability to relax me into sleep after a workout. It would be fab if Cathe would add a 20minute deep relaxation segment to my proposed bodyweight DVD.

Come to think of it, there may be enough ideas here for an entire series, not just one DVD. I would like the main workouts to be an hour or more, not 30-40 minutes. 30 minutes is fine for timesaver premixes but I think it is too short otherwise.

I know there is the Travelfit one, but it still requires bands. I guess I'm not very keen on bands.

I realise a zero-equipment bodyweight-only DVD (including strength-training as well as plyo, HIIT, circuit, athletic drills, etc) or DVD series would have the disadvantage of not encouraging people to buy equipment (though you could still sell the workout gear -- I often want to buy the workout gear I see on your DVDs). However, it does have one commercial advantage, and that is that with such a DVD or DVD series you could reach a vastly wider audience. Many people do not have either the money or the space for all the equipment needed for your fantastic workouts. I personally now have not one but two dedicated exercise rooms, each 20x20 feet, but if we have to move to NYC, we will be living in a shoebox and all that will have to go, and then what will I do! I need my Cathe workouts! Homes in places like NYC and Europe (where I come from) are tiny compared to my current USA home, and whenever I have shown visiting Brits your fantastic workouts, their comment is always that they do not have room for all the equipment, or they would love to buy your stuff. Everyone I show your DVDs agrees that Cathe is exceptionally creative and brilliant in her design of workouts. We just want a DVD or series of DVDs that use bodyweight only, and including some that can be done without a huge amount of space. You could include some "late-night" or "apartment" premixes that avoid jumping about, for people who live in NYC apartments and thus might sometimes need to avoid plyo to avoid disturbing neighbours below them.

Just think how many people there are in the world who want a TOUGH, ADVANCED workout or series of workouts, but who are also poor, or too cheap to buy equipment, or whose spouse won't allow more equipment. And all the people living in tiny apartments (not to mention young people still living in their parents' home, having only a small bedroom in which to workout.) And all the people endlessly travelling with their work, who want more than just the Travelfit DVD -- who want a full spectrum of workouts including hardcore strength training, HIIT, plyo, low-inpact bodyweight-only, etc, all involving no equipment or just what you find in a typical hotel room). And all those Brits having to put up with the same tired old 1980s-style UK workouts that are just too boring and annoying and repetitive. And all those men who, when they see a step or bands or dumbbells weighing less than 50lbs each, think "women's workout" and won't even consider buying it. You could dramatically increase your customer base! :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I live in a small NYC apartment and there are two of us who use it as a gym, home office, and home. We've gotten extremely creative about how we store our workout equipment, and believe me, it hasn't been easy. Owning a platform bed, we don't even have the space underneath it for equipment storage! When traveling, I workout to TravelFit or bits and pieces of other workouts. At home, there are only two pieces of equipment I've never bought due to space constraints: A barbell and the turbo barre. The turbo barre workout in the latest low-impact series makes it easy to substitute, though: I just use a sturdy chair and I'm good to go. But I know what you mean about just using body weight to work out. It does sound like something that could really work, for so many reasons!

Whew! Lots of specifics Strongfitgirl! :eek:
Seriously, though a bodyweight only workout would be great. It is nice to have workouts that don't need any equipment (or at least very minimal equipment). That's one reason I love CCC and the Pyramid double wave on the Hiit dvd... no equipment to drag out. I do love my toys, though!! It's just every once in a while I'm not in the mood to drag stuff out or I just need a quick, in and out workout with no fuss. A few more cardio based no equipment workouts, intervals with cardio and bodyweight strength or a bodyweight/strength only one would be perfect and something a little different!

I would love to see Calisthenics and or Isometric workouts using our own body weight. I've said it once or twice and I'll say it again. YES! Lets use our own body for a creative, intense and a fresh way of working out.

Janie

Great idea Strongfitgirl! I would buy a DVD like that immediately, I know Cathe will make me sweat and beg for mercy even without equipment! Plus, it will be a good way to confuse muscles! I second your request!

I agree! I'd love to have some bodyweight-only strength DVDs. They'd be great for traveling or small spaces. I could also lend them to my friends who have expressed interest in my workouts, but don't have any equipment of their own. It'd be a great way to introduce people to home fitness and Cathe.

I agree that you could definitely make a great bodyweight-only series including strength, cardio, and stretch workouts.

I've been doing Horizontal Conditioning dvd 1 for a few weeks and every time I do it I think Cathe could easily put out a workout for us like this!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.