newly vegetarian

fitmema

Hello fellow Cathletes,

My new year's resolution this year is to get a handle on my eating again namely by adopting a 98% vegetarian diet, (I do allow my self to eat eggs).I am looking for a good protein alternative besides beans, nuts, tofu etc, anyone have any suggestions? I also forgot to mention I'm cutting out dairy products too.

Are you asking because you don't think you will get enough protein on a vegetarian diet? I have been vegetarian for 20 years. I eat mostly healthy foods (lots of salads and green smoothies - check out greensmoothiegirl.com) and don't feel the need to supplement with extra protein other than what is in my food. I've read that lettuce greens are about 50% protein, I eat lots of those.

emy

Quinoa. It is a complete protein. That plus lots of greens should be enough protein. I do not eat a lot of soy except for occasional tofu. I stay away from faux meat products. Just more heavily processed foods and with a lot of soy. You might want to read Becoming Vegetarian--forget the author's name--. Try your local library. Lots of suggestions and breakdowns of foods nutritional content.

Thank you for that link. The recipes look amazing. I will definitely be trying some of them and reading that blog. Thanks again!

I suggest reading a book that discusses complementary protein. for a protein to be considered "complete" for humans, it needs to supply a certain mix of amino acids. animal proteins are complete like egg, milk, meat.
you can get complete protein from many vegetable sources by simply combining foods, like grain and beans or legumes. quinoa is complete, as is soy but you can get a lot more variety in your diet if you understand better how plant foods supply complete protein. with the popularity of vegan diets there is probably plenty of available materials explaining the concept.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.