Newbie help?

toomuchjoy

Cathlete
Hi,

I've been lurking for a few days. I'm a Cathe newbie. I've done a couple of her workouts a few years ago that I borrowed from a friend. I recently lost ~50 pounds and am working on the last 20-30 pounds while trying to build muscle.

I have several Jillian Michaels videos which I like (I know the jury is out on her but I like her), P90X (attempted a few years ago and made it halfway) and Chalean Extreme (never done; was a gift). I'm currently doing Jillian's Body Revolution. I'm only a week in but I'm liking it and really like that it's short. Of course I'm thinking of the next step....

I would love to get STS someday but right now I just don't have the room for extra equipment (specifically a step, barbell and ball). I do have a coffee table that's sturdy enough to use as a bench although I wouldn't stand on it.

I think I've convinced myself to preorder XTrain which looks fantastic! I'd like to get another disc or two at the same time. So here are my questions:

1) Is the STS Total Body workout disc also included in the 40 disc STS set?

2) If you were just starting out, which video or 2 would you get? I know there's a gazillion but humor me. :) Please keep in mind that I live in a thimble and have no room for step/ball/barbell but I do have resistance bands/dumbells.

3) STS is currently $200 or so. Has it gone lower than this? I'm going to keep my eye out for sales/etc but I'm just curious as to the true "act now" price. I'm thinking that as XTrain gets closer to release they may do sales on STS.

This is a great forum...people seem so genuinely nice. I'm afraid I might get truly addicted both to Cathe videos and this forum.

Thanks for your help!
TmJ

Hello, TmJ :)

First of all, congrats on losing 50 lbs - that's phenomenal!

Here's a few answers for you:

STS Total Body is a separate disc to order.

I bought the STS package when there was a multi-disc sale, if I remember correctly. If you order the Cathe calendar, SNM usually includes a discount code for workouts that I remember being pretty generous.

Travel Fit sounds like it might be a great order for you. It isn't a Killer Cathe workout, so it might work for your level, and it uses little space and the only equipment is a band.

Good Luck!

STS Total Body is a separate dvd. It is not included in the STS package.

Keep checking the Daily Deals for STS to be marked down. I saw it a couple of weeks ago for about $130-140. Also check totalfitnessdvds.com. They carry Cathe's dvds. You can use the coupon code "10OFF" to receive a 10% discount, free shipping for orders over $19.00 and no sales tax. Also check Amazon to see if anyone is selling a used set.

If you still own P90X, I would do it again. It is a great program and you can do it with very little equipment.

I'm not sure which Cathe dvds to recommend since you have limited space. I think all of the circuit style dvds use a step, barbell and/or dumbbells. Do some viewing on shopcathe.com to see which workouts use minimal equipment - maybe the older ones? I have a spare bedroom that I am using for my gym room so I don't have the issue you are dealing with.

Welcome TmJ!

No, STS Total Body is NOT included in the STS 40 DVD set. It came out in a later series and is a total body, high rep, stand-alone work-out.

Because you have no space for even a step, I would recommend Travel Fit. It uses only a band and you will get a great cardio and toning work-out. Bonus: it's so fun! One of my faves!

Good luck and get your credit card ready. Once you start with Cathe's work-outs, you will want them all!

I am new to Cathe, too (and have done all of the workout programs you listed as well--including Jillian's Body Revolution). I have hoarded the majority of Cathe's workouts over the past 6 months and have been working my way through them over the past few months. The best workouts for limited space and equipment that I've come across are Afterburn, Cardio Supersets, Slide and Glide, Crossfire, High Reps, Cardio Core Circuit, MMA Fusion, MMA Kickboxing, Kickmax, and Kick, Punch and Crunch. If you have a step--even more workouts are opened up to you. But the ones I listed only require dumbbells or a resistance band--and slide and glide disks, but you can substitute all kinds of things for the disks.

You can always substitute dumbbells for a barbell, so if a workout calls for a barbell don't let that deter you. However, you can see the strength workout options are limited because the step is often necessary. If it's just used for upper body work then you can lay of the floor, but Cathe does a lot of high steps, so you do need a high step for that. Plus she uses the step at different levels for lunges, squats and calf work.

And I just want to say that I loved Body Revolution, P90X and ChaLean Extreme, but Cathe's workouts are the best and most fun workouts I have done. I own well over 100 workout DVDs and programs (P90X2, Insanity, TurboFire, PeakFit Challenge, Asylum, Rip:60--loved every one of them) and I think Cathe workouts are better than any of them.

Congrats on your weight loss!

From one newbie to another... I only started using Cathe within the last year. I did buy STS and it is incredible. I am going through my first round and have just started week 1 of Meso 3.

I also use a "coffee table" as a workout bench... extremely sturdy and I don't worry about it as I've heard Cathy say "do not let your elbows go below the bench height". I have a small area of a den that I use to workout but haven't had a problem with space issues. I've had to get creative in where I store my weights, Step, etc.

If I was more consistent with my diet I would see better results. Overall I am healthier and much stronger than I would ever think possible. Legs are toned and arms are getting there. Abs need work but that's because I'm lazy when it comes to my mid section. Overall I'm impressed with my results over a two month time.

Good luck with your decision. There are deals on STS from time to time on Cathe's website.

Toomuchjoy-

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your weight loss! I had to laugh when you expressed concern about becoming addicted to Cathe workouts. Chances are that if you're on these forums you already are! The first step is admitting it... :)

I'm not sure whether you're looking for strength or cardio DVDs (or combos), but I can highly recommend HiiT. There are 3 workouts in it. Two require the step, but one, HiiT double wave pyramid, doesn't. It's a 30 minute, no equipment needed, kick your butt cardio workout. There's only one move that requires kind of a lot of space (three hops forward into a turn), but you might be able to modify. I hop from my bedroom into the hall and back. In addition, the workout really tones your lower body. And, if you ever get a step, you can do the other two workouts! FYI, this workout is high impact.

Somebody already mentioned Crossfire, which is also outstanding. It's longer, just under an hour I think, and doesn't require much space, either. You are supposed to have a blue band for one of the sections, but if you're not currently at a pretty high level of cardio fitness, you'll be really glad you don't have it. You can still do the moves, it will just be a bit easier (not to be confused with being easy!). There are lots of premixes on CF, so you can have a shorter (or longer) workout if you prefer.

Hope that helps!

So....the 36 disc STS bundle is a Deal of the Day for $149 and with the 15% coupon it will be ridiculously cheap.

Ack! So now I have XTrain, STS 36 disc bundle and Afterburn in my cart. Total is $246 for 46 discs...crazy right? I was going to get the STS total body but now that the STS package is on special I have to buy that. Right?

I guess I could get rid of Afterburn but that one just looks like so much fun.

Ok, I bought it all. Worried about losing power with Hurricane Sandy if I wait much longer....

Thanks to you all again!!!

Do not try to use your table as a bench. If you aren't comfortable standing on it, you won't be safe when you add more weight to your body weight and lie down on it.

How about the MMA workouts? Those are great, require little room, and are intermediate level.

Btw, I love Jillian!!! Not everybody likes her style, but thats ok, we are allowed to be different.

I think you should be able to get the 25% off for all that you ordered - but I may be incorrect in thinking this (DVD25 is the code - you can always email customer service about this even though you have placed your order).

I know you've just ordered a ton of workouts, but I would also recommend Kick, punch, and crunch...my favorite of all of her kickbox workouts and no equipment required (except she uses a ball for abs, but you can modify).

I also would recommend Slide and Glide (kind to the knees and really fun - in fact ALL of the Low impact series - abbreviated LIS frequently- I would recommend. She just had a deal on this series so perhaps she will again). And if you like Afterburn, I'd recommend CrossFire. I am writing these recommendations now because if you are like me, you will be coming back for more Cathe workouts.

BTW, I use my ball as my chair at my desk - so maybe that is a way you can fit a ball into your thimble? And yes I ordered my ball from Cathe - it is great, really holds it's air. I had a nordic track one that kept losing its air and I got fed up. And besides it is pink and says Cathe on it, makes me happy.

Let us know how you like the workouts. I've done STS 4 times and have gotten great results from it. I love the guide that comes with it and having the workout cards for each workout is just amazingly helpful, I find.

You can start working on figuring out your 1 rep maxes now. Just go to the workout manager and click on One Rep Max for the exercises. It will take several days to get through them so it will help the time go by faster while you are waiting for your discs to arrive.

Enjoy!

Thank you all for even more good advice!

macbenur, I did try to use the DVD25 code but it wasn't accepted when I was checking out. I thought I would give it a try since STS is 36 discs technically. :)

KPC and Slide and Glide are definitely on my wish list. I remember taking a Reebok slide class in the 90s which was really fun - I know this is different but it reminded me of it.

Awesome news on your sts success! My current plan is to finish Body Revolution, do a rotation of XTrain and then move onto STS. I want to try to lose more body fat before STS plus this will allow me to accumulate more Cathe cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.