New to lifting and have some questions regarding weight gain

hcrosley

I have been working out with heavy weights and cardio for about 2 months now. I am eating as clean as I can and monitoring my calories and workouts on the workout manager application. I am getting a healthy calorie deficit, eating between 1800-2100 calories daily, but am still having trouble losing weight. I have reduced my body fat % by nearly 4% and have lost inches, dropped a clothing size and all that is great, but when will the number on the scale show a loss instead of gaining or staying the same?? I have actually gained 3.5 pounds this week! There's no way it's fat since the measurements are changing. It's very frustrating for someone who is trying to lose weight and build lean muscle. I am 5'9 and as of this morning weighed 179.8. How long can I expect to see this gain? Has anyone else experienced this? How long did you gain before you started losing? Thanks so much!

I just want to say stay off the scale! Most likely that scale change is water weight. If you have dropped your BF by 4%, lost inches, and went down in a clothing size you are making GREAT progress. You are changing your body composition so as you lose fat and increase dense muscle the scale may not change much but you will decrease in size. I say keep up what your doing because your getting results.

One little suggestion

I have been working out with heavy weights and cardio for about 2 months now. I am eating as clean as I can and monitoring my calories and workouts on the workout manager application. I am getting a healthy calorie deficit, eating between 1800-2100 calories daily, but am still having trouble losing weight. I have reduced my body fat % by nearly 4% and have lost inches, dropped a clothing size and all that is great, but when will the number on the scale show a loss instead of gaining or staying the same?? I have actually gained 3.5 pounds this week! There's no way it's fat since the measurements are changing. It's very frustrating for someone who is trying to lose weight and build lean muscle. I am 5'9 and as of this morning weighed 179.8. How long can I expect to see this gain? Has anyone else experienced this? How long did you gain before you started losing? Thanks so much!
How about adding some fiber to your diet - when I did that years ago it REALLY helped me lose weight, and you won't starve in the process. It's one of those subtle changes that make a big difference.

Why does it matter what the scale says if you're obviously losing fat? You're replacing it with lean muscle mass - isn't that exactly what you wanted? I know, it's a major head game with that dumb scale. And keep in mind that a lot of times, that weight fluctuates just because of water. I gain 2 lbs one day, and lose it by the next. It means nothing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.