New to Cathe

momtomany

Hello! I'm in my 25th week of my 5th pregnancy and have recently discovered Cathe. I only own 3 DVD's: Cardio Hits, Rhythmic Step, and Power Hour. I had a couple questions: 1. where did you get your barbells, which brands are good, and what is the maximum weight I would need for any Cathe workout 2. Considering what to buy next, and I was looking into strength workouts. I was wondering if Pure Strength or Slow and Heavy would be good options. Is one better than the other? I am really loving these workouts! I don't even mind doing them with the 2 year old trying to jump on the step, my four year old trying to lift the weights, and my 6 and 8 year olds commenting that I'm not as bouncy as the lady on the TV. (I have to point out my belly is a lot bigger than the lady on TV and therefore harder to "bounce") :)

Hi there!
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm not really going to be able to answer your questions, but, I'll try...Hopefully, others will chime in with their thoughts.

1.) barbells. Can't really help you there. I borrow weights from my hubbies weight bench.

2.) Are you looking for pregnancy workouts or something for post-partum? What kind of workouts do you prefer? High weights/low reps or low weights/high reps? I personally prefer high reps/low weights (endurance work) and frequently grab Muscle Endurance and Legs and Glutes. I've not done the PS series in a very long time. I remember loving the Legs workout. I've not done the Slow & Heavy series to tell you one way or the other on this one. I think that you really can't go wrong with any of Cathe's workouts. They are all challenging and fun in different ways.

Also, just wanted to say that we would love to have you join us in the Pregnancy Check-In each week. It's a great motivater to keep the workouts consistent.

Best of luck!

Christy
EDD 6/29/04

Hi,

Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions.

A great barbell to try is Troy Lite. Cathe uses it in some of her workouts (CTX I believe). It's very popular on this site. You can do a search of the forums and find a lot of information on it. It's available at fitness1st.com and it's very reasonably priced. With the plates it comes with it's max weight is 40 lbs. You can buy extra plates to go heavier. The most Cathe uses in any of her workouts is 50 lbs. in S&H Legs.

I own all of Cathe's workouts and you really can't go wrong with any of them. PS and S&H are both great. It's hard to recommend one because it really depends on the individual and what they like. Another one to consider is the Pyramids. I like PUB and PLB more than PS and S&H. Another good one is Muscle Endurance/Bootcamp. ME is good especially if you like Power Hour and Boot Camp is also a great workout.

Hope this helps:)

Jacque
EDD 10/4/04

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.