new to cathe vids

feebs21

hi! this is my first time using this and i think it may be dangerous! i can see i'm already spending too much time reading through threads when i should be out running!! anywho...i've never used a cathe video, but i've read that her videos are great. here's what i'm looking for. i would like to buy a good cardio video. i currently do several firm videos and i really love them (both old and new) my favorite is supercardio if that gives any ideas of my level. i don't think i want any sculpting stuff, i get enough of that with the firms, but i really want only cardio-which is typically hard to find with the firm videos. i guess i'd consider myself to be advanced, working out 5-6 times a week. i usually run 2-3 miles before i do any cardio or sculpting videos. does anyone have any suggestions for me? oh yeah, i'd also like something without a step, or something i could use the fanny lifter with (i don't want to have to go buy a new step right now). any suggestions would be great! thanks!

Hi,
Almost all of Cathe's cardio videos are step workouts. Her few non-step workouts include CTX: Kickbox and Cardio Kicks. I would not recommend doing any Cathe step workouts on the Fanny Lifter. Cathe's step workouts use the full rectangular shape of the health club style step. If you ever decide to purchase the long step in the future, you will love Cathe's step workouts. They are intense, full of complex choreography and just plain fun! (in a killer kind of way :D )

Hello and welcome! I would REALLY encourage you to consider a scuplting dvd. The gains in strength and being "cut" are amazing!! I'm a firm lover too, but cathe strength is serious business!!

thanks for your feedback. i'd like to start with one good, thorough, cardio video and then if I like it, i'm sure i'll get some of her strength videos. i just have so many videos that i don't ever use, i want to start slowly to make sure i like them first! i tend to stick to about 10 videos that i really like and my others just sit on my shelf! these are the videos that i use regularly...firm-supercardio, body shaping mix, firm strenth, firm cardio, cardiosculp (new), max cardioburn +abs, complete aerobics + weight training, and tough tape. i have several others, but seldomly use them. i also run almost everyday and bike a few days a week. so, those are the type of workouts i tend to like. i've been reading some reviews on cathe's kickboxing video and some of the interval videos, (interval max?) how are these? i want something tough and fun. i tend to get bored with videos that don't switch activities often. any other suggestions? i've read awsome reviews on cathe videos, and i really think i'll like the more advanced intensity. however, there are so many it's kind of overwhelming on where i should start. any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

OH ya-get ready to get addicted!!to Cathe workouts AND the forums!!!Once you start you are hooked!!Have fun!!!!;)

Go for Bootcamp - no time to get bored - and a little bit of everything!

Its not pure cardio though. Some cardio and weights mixed all together.

Interval Max (IMAX) is great too - that's an excellent one to help build your cardio capacity.

I don't know how you feel about complex choreo, because Cathe takes some getting used to, but I would suggest Interval Max (not to be confused with IMAX 2) as a great interval tape, followed with Body Max. I find Interval Max to be the closest thing to a long run that I can do indoors. And, Body Max gives you a taste of a Cathe strength workout as well as some intense stepping. I don't think you would be disappointed with either workout. But, I wouldn't be suprised if you eventually end up owning her entire library. Once you start seeing the results you'll be hooked. I was a big Firmie too, and while I still love the Firm, I also love Cathe!

Hi -- Since you seem to be into sculpting, which is what I am interested in, you might know the answer to this. Posted message but got no replies (maybe it was my misspelling!) I have MIS and want to add either CTX upper or Power Hour (I prefer a full body tape). Anyhow, her previews list the time breakdown for CTX for each body part, but I can't seem to find that for Power Hour. Do you happen to know this?

Thanks so much.

Normandy

No advice to offer as I'm just starting out with Cathe too, but do enough aerobically and am only interested in weights. Reason I'm replying is I had to laugh at the fact I'm not the only one. Many times I start to do a tape and first get on these forums "for just one minute" and an hour later it's too late to do a tape. Yes, unfortunately, these forums definitely are addictive!!! If you also discovered VideoFitness, you're defintely lost.

Normandy

>Hi -- Since you seem to be into sculpting, which is what I am
>interested in, you might know the answer to this. Posted
>message but got no replies (maybe it was my misspelling!) I
>have MIS and want to add either CTX upper or Power Hour (I
>prefer a full body tape). Anyhow, her previews list the time
>breakdown for CTX for each body part, but I can't seem to find
>that for Power Hour. Do you happen to know this?
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>Normandy

Hi Normandy,

I don't have the times for Power Hour, but if you don't have that one, its an EXCELLENT full body workout - my fave IMHO. CTX Upper is good to, but if you want a full body workout, then you'd need to pair it with Leaner Legs.

I was once a FIRMIE who wandered curiously into this board because of all the posts on the Firm board. I thought I'd ask around, get a couple of tapes (agonized which ones because I figured I just needed to add some cardio to my FIRM collection)and go my merry way. HAH.
I never got out of here. My two purchases ( Body Max and Power Max ) hooked me. I now own a club sized step, a barbell ( because the Firm padded barbell is hard to grip for upperbody work...which Cathe does a lot of but the FIRM doesn't )more db's and PH, PS, S&H, CK, CM,LL, PC, The Intensities and Pre-ordered the Blasts. You can't get just ONE. The woman is AMAZING. If u ever decide to get a full sized step: IMAX 2 has got to be the best CARDIO around. If you ever want weights : The Pyramids ( DVD ) are awesome. After the arm work in the Pyramids no FIRM workout could possibly be taken seriously when they call something SCULPTING.

If you're looking for Cathe cardio that doesn't require a step, I'd second the above suggestions for Cardio Kicks and Boot Camp. One way to intensify the cardio aspect of Boot Camp (only with the DVD, however) is to do the "Everything But Core" Premix, and then do "Core Only" at the end. That way, you're still getting everything in, but you're keeping youre heart rate up higher and you get a killer ab/core workout all at the end.

Hope that helps! If you're anything like me, however, once you get a taste of Cathe, you'll soon be purchasing a regular step (which I did cheaper thru E-bay) and doing as much of her cardio and other workouts as possible! Good luck!

okay, okay! you guys have convinced me! i'm sure i'm going to love cathe workouts! since i love the firm now, i hope i still enjoy them, but i am looking for something more advanced! now i have to figure out which videos to get, i'll probably start with a dvd since that sounds like the best, but the choices are overwhelming! i don't want to get one that is part of a big series cuz then i'll probably end up wanting the whole series and already have one (it seems better if you buy them all at once-cheaper!) so, i'm thinking of either the cardio hits, the dvd with rythmic step+ int. max +mic, or one of the intensity volumes! but the kickboxing dvd looks good too! ahhh, the choices are so great!! i've looked over the different stuff you can do with the dvds and that scares me! i think i'll stick to doing the whole workout for now and then later try to fiddle with switching chapters and stuff! i also am going to start looking for a full size step! thanks for all the help and suggestions! if there are any on which dvd would be best, let me know!

Well since you are looking for a full-size step the possibilities are endless! That being said, you could start out with the CardioKicks, Circuit Max dvd. CK doesnt use a step and it's tough! CM uses a step for only a portion of it. I sometimes will skip the compound weight movements btwn the cardio sections of CM just to make it a shorter all cardio workout. CM as is though is the one cardio of Cathe's that always leaves me feeling like I'm going to "puke in a bucket" as Mindy Mylrea would say. Depending on how good you are at learning choreography, Rhythmic Step wouldnt be my first choice. I think it's the toughest choreography and might leave you feeling frustrated. Cardio Hits is only slightly more dated but easier to learn yet still tough! Her funnest and almost toughest cardio is definitely hands down Interval Max 2!! The Cardio&Weights on the same dvd is also alot of fun and you have the option to do only the cardio portion too. It's a MUST HAVE!! If you were to get one strength dvd I'd go for the Pure Strength Series dvd. It's a great one!

Let us know what you decide!!

:)Stacy

I just got my first Cathe DVD with Power Hour, MIS, and Body Max, and did Body Max a little while ago. I LOVE it! I cursed it more than any other video I've ever used, and told her she was out of her mind quite a few times, but I now see what everyone's been talking about, and I'm afraid I'm going to be spending a whole lot of money in the future.
I got more of the step than I expected to on the first try, and am really excited to see how long it takes me to learn it all. My shoulders, biceps, triceps and abs all were burning by the end of the sets. I've been doing Body Pump, some of the Firms, and Tom Holland, and only parts of Body Pump have had me feeling like I worked this hard!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.