New tapes this summer?

ChelleK

Hi, my name is Michelle & I'm relatively new to the forum & to strength training. I'm looking for a total body weight tape with no (or little) cardio, slow lifting, and no frills. I get my cardio thru running & walking, so I'm looking to get toned & strong. I truly do not have room for a barbell. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm intermediate - I saw the video clip for MIS & it looked really hard! Should I wait till her new videos come out? Sorry this is so long - hope someone can help. Thanks!

Maximum Intensity Strength is all weight-no frills. It is hard, but can be modified by using less poundage. There is no cardio in the tape and Cathe places some much-needed rest spots in it. The pure strength series is also all weight. It is nice to really concentrate on upper body/lower body parts. The legs and abs workout is intense.

Along with MIS...

Hi Michelle, another tape you can consider is Cathes Wedding video. It does have cardio in the first section, but the second is all toning. It's considered a more..beginner Cathe and I'm pretty sure it's done with all dumbbells.

MIS is a wonderful full body tape and will probably be more to your liking but it is a long tape and if you've never really done any strength training, don't beat yourself up when you get it and think you have to do it all in one day...you may find that you like it better split up into legs and upper body when you first start. I do believe it was rated as the best full body strength tape on the market...you can't go wrong with that.

I also argee with CinLou that you can modify to your comfort as far as weights go...and if Cathe uses a barbell...you can sub dumbells for the exercises.

The other tape that you may want to look into is the new one this summer that will be full body endurance..it's sure to be a winner.

Also, don't rule out the Pure Strength series...if you want no frills...as the titles says...it's pure strength. It may not be one full body in a day workout..but IMHO..it's the best slow/heavy strength out there.

http://members.aol.com/naconfer/images/springchickvfnutsig.jpg

Hi Michelle! MIS is a must have for weight training! (You can use dumbells if you don't have a barbell!) This video is a well rounded program that focuses on your total body! Start with low weight and then adjust your weights accordingly. This is a definite keeper and as your strength increases so will your weights! You won't be disappointed! You'll never outgrow this tape! Lots of luck to you! Your friend in fitness---Francine

Hi!

Just a suggestion. I do not have room for a barbell either. I keep my weights in the living room with my couch, TV, etc. I invested in a "curl bar" instead of a barbell. It isn't as long as a barbell and you can do the same things with it that Cathe uses the barbell for.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-01 AT 10:13PM (Est)[/font][p]I would agree that MIS is an excellent all-in-one video for weight training alone. I'd say go ahead and get it now! :)It's tough but definitely do-able for almost any level. Just increase the weights as you get stronger.

Also, when you say you don't have room for a barbell, is storage the issue? I have a Firm barbell (which is shorter than traditional barbells and padded), which I store upright in a closet. When I'm done working out, I just slip the weight plates off one end and prop the barbell upright in a corner of the closet. The end without the weights is at the bottom; this allows me to lean the barbell into the corner. It takes up virtually no space. This could also work with a regular barbell, I'm sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.