new runner - knee question

Michele S

Cathlete
Hi all!

I'm just starting out on a running program - taking it slow - but my knees are really sore. Is this just a matter of them gaining strength or is it a sign that my knees can't take running? I'm just getting back into working out again after having a baby in May so I don't know if I'm just really out of shape or what!?!x(

Thanks!

Are you running in good shoes? Sometime knee pain can signal worn out or the wrong type of shoe. Are you also walking with your running?

Carole & Suz -

My shoes are fairly new, but it probably is time for a good pair - especially if I plan to stick with the running! I'm following the beginner's plan from Runningworld.com and am on my 4th week which is running for 3 minutes, walking for 1 for a total of 20 minutes. I'm warming up and cooling down with 5 minutes of walking. I'm also starting out on a treadmill, but plan to go outside once it cools down a little.

I'm going to go out this weekend and get me some new sneaks!!!

Where does it hurt? Outside knee, inside, behind the knee, knee cap? Depending where it is, you may just need to stretch better. Your IT Band may be too tight and when that happens, it grinds on the knee and causes horrible pain.

Every time I take up running after having been away from it for a while, my knees hurt the first few weeks. Make sure you're thoroughly warmed up with a good 5 to 10 minute brisk walk first, then, start running. If this doesn't go away after a few weeks, you will want to see a doctor. If you do not lift regulary, adding lower body weights to your routine can also help by building up the muscles around the knees and taking pressure off your knees. Good luck and keep us informed! Feel free to stop by the Cheetah Check in for tips and advise as well! We're a friendly group and we're all levels.

to Imafitnessfreak...

>Where does it hurt? Outside knee, inside, behind the knee,
>knee cap?

It actually hurts in the front, almost below my knee cap, if that makes any sense. It doesn't hurt when I'm running, though. What's the diagnosis? :)

RE: to Imafitnessfreak...

>It actually hurts in the front, almost below my knee cap, if
>that makes any sense. It doesn't hurt when I'm running,
>though. What's the diagnosis? :)

That pain for me once was needing new running shoes...:)

It **could** me ITB Syndrome. The Iliotibial band starts at the hip, runs along the outside of the leg, along the outside of the knee and wraps around the bottom part of the knee. It is a thick band that resembles a muscle. ITB Syndrome is extremely common with runners and gets worse if not taken care of...you won't be able to run.

If I am on target, (I hope I am because it is easy to fix), then a bit of rest and proper stretching will do wonders. I have an awesome stretch in my picture trail that a physical therapist that specialized in running injuries taught me. It's the stretch where my leg is straight back, the other leg is in front, bent at an angle so the outside of my knee is towards the floor and my upper body is slightly rotated towards that knee. Let me know if you are unsure which photo I am describing.

You will feel the stretch in your hip...deep in the hip, and that is good. Hold it for 30-60 seconds before and after running, no bounce.

Also, rest. Cut back your running(for a short while) and stop running if you feel pain. Use this (short) time to cross train.

Putting some ice on there for 10-15 minutes after a workout is a good idea. The cold helps reduce inflamation. You can ice a few times a day but don't do consecutive ice sessions unless all the redness from your previous ice session has totally gone away.

Aren't you glad ya asked???;-) I really hope this helps! Keep me updated!

Oh, you should never run with worn out running shoes! Hit a specialty store for a proper fit. It doesn't cost that much more and is very worth it! They check your feet and put you in the right type of shoe...stability, neutral, etc. Then, they should give you 30 days test trial. If you are not happy, they should willingly take them back. Make sure those shoes are 1/2 a size larger than your normal shoe size. Mine are a full size larger...Mizuno's run a bit small and then you need extra toe room.

Get a proper fit, it's worth it!!

I guess I was different. The few times I have had ITB syndrome it was always on the outside part of my knee...I never knew the band wrapped around under your knee.....thanks for the info Sarah!!...:)

Thanks for all the advice, and yes, I AM GLAD I asked!

I'm going out this weekend to invest in running shoes. In the meantime, I'm going to pull out my CTX workouts. I'm desperately in need of getting back into shape after baby #3. My body doesn't seem to want to cooperate quite as easily as before!

Thanks again!
Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.