New Rules of Lifting for Women

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
Hey guys,
A friend of mine and I are going to do this together. We recently ordered the book, and she has heard wonderful things about the program. I want to do this before I start Cathe's low impact series.

Have any of you done this? Did you lean out on it or just build muscle? (I want to do both!) Did you add cardio in or is that a big no no? If you did add cardio, did you still see results? Also, any vegetarians out there do this? I'm worried about keeping my protein intake up!

Sorry for the million questions! Just curious/ eager to know more! :)

Hi Stephanie,

I bought this book a few months ago and started reading it but put it aside to do STS. I also am really curious to hear from anyone who did the program. Please keep us posted when you do it and let us know your results. I'll definitely be doing it sometime in the future :)

Tracy

Hey Stephanie!

I bought this book a few weeks ago and read it. I thought it had some great information in it. I haven't done the actual workout, also making my way thru STS, but I did use the formulas for figuring out what my caloric intake should be and it has made a big difference for me. It also convinced me to start using heavier weights, not that I wasn't working hard with STS using the weights I had but I am now challenging myself a lot more and seeing some good gains. I have also backed off cardio a bit. I now just do Cathe's HiiTs a couple times per week in addition to STS and an add'l leg day. Seems to be working!

Natalie

Natalie-
That's exactly what we were thinking of doing: heavy weights and HIIT workouts on cardio days. I also take ballet once a week.

What have your results been with lifting heavy and lightening up on cardio, if you don't mind me asking? Have you leaned out and built muscle? I'm worried that it will be hard for me to do both... But I'm eager to see...

Tracy-I'll keep you guys posted! :)

Hey Stephanie!

I do feel like I am leaning out and building muscle but honestly I feel it in my clothes...the scale hasn't moved a bit. I feel my pants getting loser around my waist and my sleeves getting tighter, especially in the shoulder. I am excited about that! (Larger shoulders = appearance of smaller waist!! :D) I am also seeing some decent definition. I don't really have a lot of weight to lose so I won't see huge gains as far as "weight loss" (I am more concerned with the look then a number on the scale) and I am being careful not to have calories so low that I am burning muscle. I have those areas that I would like to see less body fat on but I think that is pretty typical. I know that it is very difficult to lean out and gain muscle at the same time, especially if you are near your "ideal" weight and diet plays a huge role. As I said in my earlier post, I have started watching the calories and have definitely increased my protein intake.

As far as cardio is concerned, I used to do a couple of 60 min step sessions and a 3-4 mile run every week in addition to weights. As I said, I have cut back to just the couple of HiiTs per week and I think the combination of that and lifting heavier is a good combination for me.

Question back to you about ballet...Have you always done ballet or is it something you have started in adulthood. My daughter just started taking classes and they offer an adult class...just wondered if it would be appropriate for someone who hasn't been in a ballet room since they were 5. :p

Natalie

Question back to you about ballet...Have you always done ballet or is it something you have started in adulthood. My daughter just started taking classes and they offer an adult class...just wondered if it would be appropriate for someone who hasn't been in a ballet room since they were 5. :p Natalie

I took ballet from the time I was 3 until 16. A few years ago, when my oldest little boy was in kindergarten, I found out one of the mommies in the class was a classical ballet instructor. She had an adult class that I took until I got pregnant several months later with my third little boy. I gained a lot of weight with him (as I do with all pregnancies), and so I didn't have self confidence to return to it until this summer (I have declared this summer the "summer of who cares"). All this to say (sorry, I'm a southern girl of many words), my class requires a dance background (it's an intermediate/advanced class), but she's very understanding of the fact that most women in her class haven't danced since high school or college. When I first started taking from her, I first observed a class before deciding to take it. I'd ask her if previous experience is a must and if you can observe a class. You'd be so surprised at how quickly it comes back to you!

I love love love it. I have no little girls, so I decided I'm going to be the ballerina of the house. :)

I am not one who has to be convinced of the great value in lifting! I love it and its effects! Thanks for posting this book..I ordered from the library to see if I want to buy it.

I am not one who has to be convinced of the great value in lifting! I love it and its effects! Thanks for posting this book..I ordered from the library to see if I want to buy it.

I hear ya. I love love love lifting. I just worry about going mainly into weight training and lowering my cardio. Also worried about keeping up my protein while staying mainly vegetarian (I eat fish)...

I did this program twice with great results. Here is the forum where you can read a lot of great info: JP Fitness Forums . Just scroll down until you find The New Rules of Lifting for Women forum.

Good luck!

Stephanie:

have nothing to contribute on the NROLFW I am afraid. I just wanted to tell you that I love your avatar picture. You look great. I also love that you are naming yourself the ballerina of the family and that this is your summer of "who cares?!!" Great attitude. I am thinking of starting a year of 'Who cares?!!! My husband might say, I am already in it!

Nice to meet you!

Clare

Stephanie:

have nothing to contribute on the NROLFW I am afraid. I just wanted to tell you that I love your avatar picture. You look great. I also love that you are naming yourself the ballerina of the family and that this is your summer of "who cares?!!" Great attitude. I am thinking of starting a year of 'Who cares?!!! My husband might say, I am already in it!

Nice to meet you!

Clare

Thanks, Clare! I figured, I'm 37 and it's about time! I wrote my blog (strong magnolia) about it this week. Yes, let's make this the year of "who cares?!" :D

Okay, this total OT but Stephanie, I love your new do! Did you get it cut short or is it pulled back? Sorry guys, back to your regularly scheduled program! ?

Okay, this total OT but Stephanie, I love your new do! Did you get it cut short or is it pulled back? Sorry guys, back to your regularly scheduled program! ?

Thanks, Debbie! It's been short for awhile now. I've just been lazy getting my avatar changed. It's actually even shorter now. I figured why keep it long if I was always wearing it in pony tails anyway! Sooooo much easier now! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.