New Dog ~ Jealously Issue...

Fitness-MomX2

Hello All~

We just got a new puppy from the SPCA yesterday. She's 11 months old, German Shep/Lab Mix...
Would anyone have any suggestions regarding the jealously issue between our other dog which we had as a puppy (Diesel 1 1/2 yrs) and Roxy (new dog). Diesel hasn't been the problem, it's Roxy. Roxy tends to snap, and I don't think she's playing half the time. Will they learn to get along as time passes...it has only been one day!
How do you feel about the PetSmart training classes, do you think that would help?
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks~

Jenn

I went through this myself with my dogs. I did some extensive reading on canine behavior on the internet. Training classes will probably help you tremendously.

Canine's have to establish their hierarchy, namely, who is the alpha or top dog. That's something you need to help them work through. Also, Shepherds are known for their territorial tendencies (mine are both half shepherd/half chow) and this can sometimes cause aggresive behavior. The jist of it is you have to let your new dog know that you're the boss and you will not tolerate the aggresive behavior.

Something I did that seems to help is to make my younger dog sit before I feed her or give her treats as a way of saying "please". I do not make my older dog (the dog we already had) do this. I also am sure to let my older dog go in and out of the doors when we go on walks first. In doing this, I am recognized as the Alpha and I am saying my older dog is next in line and newer dog is last. Just these little jestures have worked.

Also, if your two dogs get into a heated tussle, the advice I read is to separate them and if you know which one started it, ignore that dog for awhile. This is how canine's behave in a pack. The Alpha controls the group and if a dog is not behaving appropriately, that dog is shunned temporarily and then greeted back to the den.

My suggestion is to do some searches on the internet under "canine behavior" and "adding a new dog". I got a lot of good information.
You came to the right place because this website is full of animal lovers. I'm sure you will get some great help.

I think it could resolve with time or it may need extra work :) Pet Smart classes are not ALL bad. There are some good ones, but it's an individual thing. If you go to www.apdt.com (or www.abdt.com) you can find a list of trainers by state. Personally I prefer positive methods.

Now are you sure she isn't playing? My dogs play ROUGH! It might be how her breed plays. Dobes tend to snap and "clack" their jaws. Vizslas tend to do the chase each other game. But when they play with the Dobe, the do the bitey face game.

How is Diesel reacting? Is he a good player? Is he being overboard and that is why she is snapping?

Here is how rough mine play:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1196/4106539/8556007/144233506.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1196/4106539/8556007/144233504.jpg

Colleen

Thank you so much for your advice.

I had to put our new dog in the bathroom for the day (currently don't have a large enough crate)...was this a bad thing to do? I didn't feel having them together by themselves all day was a good thing to do. Right before leaving the house this morning is when Roxy (new dog) got into it with our older dog. (tried to take a bone).

At the risk of writing a 10,000 word essay on pack behavior...I'll try to explain. :)

Dogs are pack animals and they operate with rules of the pecking order. YOU as the owner need to be the alpha dog and act accordingly for your status in the pack.

A) That means you feed the dogs. You make them sit before you place their dishes down. You never free-choice feed a dog for this very reason. The dog needs to know he has to rely on you to get food. If the food is always available he doesn't need you.

B) Even though you are the alpha dog and they see you as their leader, there will be a pecking order amongst themselves. Females tend to be more aggressive and challenge for position much more than males will(neutering/spaying does not effect pecking order behavior).

C) Your other two dogs are threatened by this new comer to the pack so it will take time before the new dog is accepted, that is just the natural order of things.

Now, what can you do to help things along a bit faster? With the two dogs you have, which one is boss or...which one do you allow to be boss of the other one?

Let's say you have let the female be the boss of the other dog. Okay, now, when you feed the three dogs you need to be careful of the pecking order. She needs to be fed first, then your other dog, then the new dog. This way the dogs aren't upset by you showing favor to the newcomer over them and then they feel their position in the pack threatened and will act out towards the new dog.

Same goes for when they go out to potty...the boss dog goes out the door first, followed by #2 and then #3. When you are grooming or just petting the dogs, you always call the boss dog over to you first. Same for giving treats...boss dog gets a treat first (after being made to sit for it) then dog #2, then dog #3...and all dogs being told to sit for their treat before they get it.

Besides reinforcing to the boss dog herself that she is boss of the other dogs, this also shows the other two dogs that they are not the boss and they will behave accordingly.

Trust me on this, it works. This is also why if you have an aggressive dog, you never want to let that dog sleep with you because then the dog will see himself/herself as your equal and you always need to be the alpha. In the wild, the privilegde of sleeping by the pack leader is exclusive and elevates that dog above the rest of the pack. Always make an aggressive dog sleep on the floor or in his/her own bed...never with you. This can also lead to the dog thinking that your spouse is challenging for pack position and the dog can become aggressive towards your spouse.

I have four dogs. One dog is much more timid than the others and I have made her the boss dog just so the other's don't eat her alive with their antics. She is always fed first. She is always the first one out the door and the first one to come back in. She is always the first one to be petted. Because I treat her as the boss of the other dogs they in turn see her as their superior despite her extreme timidness. I do have another female dog who will occassionally get snippy with the boss dog but I squash that behavior immediately and then fawn attention on the more timid dog just to reinforce the pack order.

If you make you dogs behave like I have described, they will naturally behave according to their status. The boss dog will be the first one ready to eat and the other's will stand back waiting to be told to sit. The boss dog will go out the door first and the other dogs will wait for her to go without having to be held back, etc. etc.

You have to think like a dog. But please, don't smell like one!

;-)

Thank you, Colleen~

Diesel seems to welcome Roxy..sort of like a new playmate. It's possible Diesel needs to back off a little and give Roxy some space. Diesel always wants to play...he's Eskimo Spitz/Sheltie.

Looking at your pictures, from what I have seen so far this is actually what they act like.

omg, colleenm, those pictures bring back memories of my 2 dobies playing. i had a pug originally, and brought in the first mail dobe. that was quite a sight as the dobe wanted to play and my pug was older and wanted no part of it. so, i got the male dobe a sister dobe, and they were immediately teeth and snappying their jaws. other people were a little intimidated by this behavior, but once they realized it was the way they played, it was funny to watch. and the noises they would make were hilarious. i think candi had some great ideas about treating the dogs slightly different to reinforce the hierarchy. with dogs it is a very psychological game, and subtle things really register with them. i would imagine your new dog, roxy, is quite smart, and will understand quickly how things work. they do have to sort themselves out, and they should be fine. my pug had to really get after my male dobe a few times to let him know who was boss. good luck with your new one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.