New Cathe Fan needs help

SandieC

Hi Cathe and everyone on the forum

I have recently started using Cathe video's, and this is my first post. Thank you Cathe for producing such challenging and fun videos - I actually can't wait to do my workout everyday!! Thanks also to everyone on the forum for providing such helpful and encouraging information.

Please could you help me with the following bearing in mind that my main goal is to lose about 40 pounds:

1. Is there anything wrong with doing step as my only cardio 6 times a week? Will is put too much strain on certain muscles? I also do so strength training 3 times a week.

2. Is it necessary to have a rotation? At the moment I just make sure that I do a cardio tape everyday and some strength work every other day. My Cathe collection is fairly limited at the moment.(I don't know whether it would be helpful to list the videos that I have?)

3. I have BodyMax, and the excercises seem similar to MIS. Is there are difference between the excercises, and is it necessary for me to get MIS? I don't really want to get the strength tapes that are split into body parts - I prefer to do all body parts on one day.

3. I currently live in Canada (Calgary) having recently moved there from England. Can anyone suggest where I can get a barbell similar to the one used in Cathe's tapes.

Thank you so much

Sandra

I do alot of step too. I think it's a good idea to vary it a bit (hi low, dance).

I never understood Cathe's barbell until recently. That nice thing that protects her shoulders is a very common piece of equipement called a barbell pad that can be purchased at any sporting goods store that has weight training equipment. The type of barbell she has is pretty standard too (with the clips).

Do you know there's a canadian website that sells videos? It's called http://www.cksales.com

Jane

Thanks Jane!

I actually ordered all my videos from CK Sales (excellent service).

Can you or anyone recommend a barbell, and where I can get it (preferrably in Canada due to exchange rate and high cost of P&P).

Also can anyone help me out with my other questions PLEASE!!

Thanks

Sandra

Just from my personal experience, I love step and it is my favorite way to get Cardio, but my knees start to bother me when I do it every day. I try to mix it up with walking, hi/lo tapes, and rowing. I have read that your body also gets used to one form of exercise, and so gets very efficient at it so you don't burn as many calories or get the benefits you once did.
Plus, you don't want to get burned out by doing only one type of exercise every day!
I personally don't have a set rotation, but I sit down every Sunday and plan out my workouts. I used to pick the videos too, but found I changed my mind depending on mood. So, I just put each day and what type of workout to do. I also keep a workout log with what I have done so I can see what I need to do to keep up with my goals (cardio 5-6x, upper body and upper body 3x each, abs 6x, and flexibility 2x). Some things I do like rowing are great for cardio plus upper body.
I have both Body Max and MIS and love them both. MIS has much more intense leg work than Body Max does. I think alot of the upper body is similar but not exactly the same.
Sorry, can't help with the barbell issue. I bought a firm barbell, which is padded.

Sandra,

I think there's got to be a local atheletic equipment store that sells barbells. Generally, it's better to buy them locally because the shipping costs are going to be exhorbitant because they weigh alot. Look in the phone directory under athletic equipment or "sporting goods".

Also, alot of people sell their gym equipment in swap sheets and classifieds. In the area I live in (which is next to the Ontario border, in the US, fyi) there are a couple of used sporting goods stores.

Barbells are easy, because they're traditional "manly" equipment! The harder thing is to find steps, body bars and other equipment that is primarily used by women. so annoying!

Jane

Thanks Jane, Tara and Julie for your responses.

I bought myself a barbell yesterday, and am going to order CardioKicks.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.