Never too young to make a difference

andtckrtoo

Cathlete
Heard this story on the news this morning, and it made me cry in a good way. I thought I'd share:

http://cbs5.com/local/girl.feeds.hungry.2.1108890.html

5-Year-Old SF Girl Fundraises To Feed Hungry

phoebe_073009.jpg

She's only in pre-school, but 5-year old Phoebe is already teaching grownups a lesson in how to make a difference.

After months of collecting donations, Phoebe has donated more than $40,000 to the San Francisco Food Bank; in effect, providing more than 17,000 meals for hungry San Franciscans.

It all started a few months ago when Phoebe saw a homeless man on the street. She learned from her Mom that some people in this world go to bed hungry. Phoebe decided that wasn't right so she came up with a plan; of all things, to collect cans.

"My first reaction was, 'cans? I was like, what are we going to do with cans?'" said Phoebe's teacher, Kathleen Albert of "With Care Daycare" in Noe Valley.

Albert guided Phoebe through a letter-writing campaign. They originally hit up about 150 friends and family members and set a goal.

"My goal is really big," said Phoebe's letter in big crooked letters. The goal was a thousand dollars, which she achieved in just a month.

"When she got to $1,000, she cried," sighed Albert, tears misting in her eyes. "It was very touching, I mean, she was like, 'I made it I made it I made it!'"

From a handwritten letter asking for soda can donations, the project blossomed. Phoebe convinced some of the neighbors and friends to match donations. Eventually people started showing up with large checks written to the food bank. Thousands more dollars came pouring in, as neighbors and even strangers chipped in.

Final tally: $3,736.30. Phoebe handed the cash over to the food bank in mid July.

"They're going to take the money and buy food," said Phoebe. "They're not going to feed the hungry people money," she added for clarification.

Food Bank officials say they can make nine meals for every dollar donated, so Phoebe's donation will make more than 17,000 meals for San Francisco's hungry at a time when every penny is urgently needed.

"It inspires me," said Paul Ash, Executive Director of the San Francisco Food Bank. "I love my job, but meeting someone like Phoebe makes it even greater."

Money continues to pour in from across the country, as the story has spread through websites such as the Huffington Post and a local website called goinspirego.com.

Phoebe's lesson: that one person - even a five year old - can make a huge difference.

"Phoebe has taught us to reach for the stars," said Albert. "So anything's possible."
(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.