Neighborhood cat issue

berry99

Cathlete
I know that this forum is full of cat lovers and I am having a problem with some cats in my neighborhood, so I thought you guys might be able to help with my problem. Neighborhood cats have started using my yard as a litter box and they have been digging up my flowers. I know that the cats are just doing what they do, but it is really bugging me and I am getting sick of cleaning up after them. Are there any natural, non-harmful ways to deter neighborhood cats from coming into my yard and using it as a toilet and digging up my garden? I have done some research on the internet but some people don’t have the cat’s best interest at heart. There are some mean things that people do to deter unwanted cats. Again, I don’t want any harm to come to the cats, but would love some suggestions to keep them away. Please help!!!

I'm definitely a cat lover but I have no solution. A long time ago I took a Landscape Design class at a local community college and was told you pretty much have to design your landscape around the animal's behavior. Oh sure. So if you come up with a kind, humane solution I'd like to hear it. I take care of a number of cats and have no landscaping in my yard. If I ever do landscape everything I plant will have jibe with the cats. I'm almost glad they do their pooping in my yard because, If they did it elsewhere, someone would surely do something to hurt them. I know it's a pain. You know, you might want to ask the people at your local nursery. We have several in central Ohio that are staffed with people who've gardened their whole lives and have a solution for every yard issue. They'll probably have great suggestions. Good luck.

have an animal rescue come and set traps. i know alot of people think they're automatically put to sleep but i got my cat at a shelter and the lady there said that if they have no room for any animals they try to send them somewhere else. or, do u have friends who might be interested in taking one in?

laura

If you know the owners to these cats, I would contact them to pay for damages. We have outdoor cats here and everyone pretty much knows who belongs to who.
I have two indoor cats that are happy inside. my issue is with dog's that use my yard as dumping ground.

DH built me a zen garden last summer and the local cats definately think the sand part is a litter box. We ended up putting a mesh over the sand part that has worked for us. I know that isn't really a long term solution though. The thing that I found most intriguing was a motion detector sprinkler. The cats are supposed to be trained quite quickly that they don't like your yard. We don't have underground sprinklers so it would not work for us, but it may be good for you.

Good luck,
Shayne

Karin,

There are alot of "cat begone" type sprays you can use - probably not on the actual flowers of course, but maybe the areas around your flower box. Another option is - if you catch them in the act - spray them with a squirt bottle. There are other things like this water bottle option that are automatic - I think Lowes sells them. There are also some small green plants that Lowes sell that have an odor that cats find offense and therefore won't come near.

I've had similar issues with dogs in the past and cayenne pepper is a good deterent. Once their poor little noses get a bit of that heat they usually never want to return.

I am happy to read that you want a humane solution to your problem. Most people just kill cats that do this sort of thing and that's so sad to me.

You (and all people) are in a tough situation here because it's HUMANS that have invaded the CAT'S turf, not the other way around. Well, outdoor cats are technically an invasive species since they were brought to America on cargo freights and aren't supposed to be here, but you get my point. Wild animals don't know that our yards aren't open to them.

I don't have any advice. I wish it did. Thankfully I live in an apt. complex and this is not an issue. If it was, I feel like there's very little you can do. If you catch them in your hard, give them a squirt with a water bottle. But if they're "doing their business" and digging up your plants while you're not home, I don't think there's much that can be done. Do you have any idea who these kitties belong to?

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I've seen recommendations for putting moth balls around, but it's not very ecofriendly.

Another solution that I've seen (in organic gardening catalogs, can't think of which one(s) off hand) is a square of what looks like spikes, but make out of plastic. You put them around your garden in areas where the cats dig, and they find them uncomfortable/annoying enough to be detered from digging.

There are also sprays you can use to repel cats (and dogs) from outside areas (again, look at organic yard care/gardening sites).

You can also get motion-detector devices that squirt either water (cat's don't like water squirted at them) or spray something like citronella that cats don't like the smell of--though I'd worry about it getting in their eyes).

According to a natural pest control book I have, putting a partly filled water bottle in the area deters cats because they hate water. I am very skeptical, though, since that would be something that would fascinate my cats!

>According to a natural pest control book I have, putting a
>partly filled water bottle in the area deters cats because
>they hate water. I am very skeptical, though, since that would
>be something that would fascinate my cats!

My cats would love that too!!! Bummer for the OP....

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.